Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is a .NET strong enough to build a business around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@4u - You bring up some great points. Do you think the same rules apply for content sites? I would imagine the extension becomes less important when you're focusing on organic traffic through targeted articles.

I'm kind of stuck with the .net since all the other extensions are being used for unrelated business sites (the keyword is also a last name). Problem is their business is built around the domain so they wouldn't sell at a realistic price.

@Onward - Do you honestly think Apple would be worth a penny less if their URL was OverpricedComputers4U.org? Using Fotunre 500 companies as an example is like comparing a lemonade stand to IHOP; the business models are completely different.

4u-domains

DNF Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@4u - You bring up some great points. Do you think the same rules apply for content sites? I would imagine the extension becomes less important when you're focusing on organic traffic through targeted articles.

I'm kind of stuck with the .net since all the other extensions are being used for unrelated business sites (the keyword is also a last name). Problem is their business is built around the domain so they wouldn't sell at a realistic price.

@Onward - Do you honestly think Apple would be worth a penny less if their URL was OverpricedComputers4U.org? Using Fotunre 500 companies as an example is like comparing a lemonade stand to IHOP; the business models are completely different.

"Do you think the same rules apply for content sites? I would imagine the extension becomes less important when you're focusing on organic traffic through targeted articles."
Well, yes, the content will bring in some traffic but you still run the risk of leakage to the .com or ccTLD (if UK, Germany, etc) by having the .net .

Not mentioned yet, but there is also the 'slight' but measurable issue of business trust. The fact is that people feel more wary about businesses with a TLD that they are not as familiar with. Its just plain common sense and human nature.
A person, everything else being equal - on average - will click on rtyrtyryt.com before rtyrtyryt.biz, or rtyrytryt.net as the .com and major ccTLDs have an inherent level of trust and integrity built in. As it happens, Ii think the only exception to this rule is .org in specific uses.

"I'm kind of stuck with the .net since all the other extensions are being used for unrelated business sites (the keyword is also a last name). Problem is their business is built around the domain so they wouldn't sell at a realistic price."
No worries, as I mentioned, although this is down the list on preferables, when there is no other choice, well, there is no other choice and there is little wrong, per se, with the .net anyway - indeed in some sectors it still might be highly regarded.

"Do you honestly think Apple would be worth a penny less if their URL was OverpricedComputers4U.org? Using Fotunre 500 companies as an example is like comparing a lemonade stand to IHOP; the business models are completely different."

Not aimed at me but YES I do.. I think it would. They wouldn't be as large now for all the above reasons. A lot of their critical mass would have been helped by the millions of people going online to see a nice short catchy domain like apple.com to check out their latest products. I do think a hideous URL would have damaged their ongoing business development. Their short memorable domain, now, is part of their overall branding strategy.
They spend significant money on hitting cybersquatters and also buying up their own product and service related .coms so they definately understand the importance and power of the right domain and TLD.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see your point regarding Apple's branding strategy. I'm sure you've come across some really popular websites that use obscure extensions or odd spelling variations. I think they prove success is all about providing quality content/products... Perhaps they have worse CTR's using odd extensions but I'd venture a guess they have more returning visitors which in turn boosts their SERP position and exposure.

4u-domains

DNF Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe you can definately make a success out of the .net, for sure, and most other TLDs with the right marketing and content.
The issue is, why put yourself at a possible disadvantage by not having the preferred solution from the start.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just FYI: Envato use the .net for their online marketplaces. They own all the .com as well and it is forwarded to the .net.

Scroll down to the footer to see their list of marketplaces: http://audiojungle.net/

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe you can definately make a success out of the .net, for sure, and most other TLDs with the right marketing and content.
The issue is, why put yourself at a possible disadvantage by not having the preferred solution from the start.

I didn't think of it that way. Hopefully I'll be able to buy out the .com.....eventually.

@silent - That is a great example and the extension completely fits their business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom