Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is DAN.COM still alive?

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

An update to my SEDO.COM auction experience. In a word: disappointing. I do not cast blame on anyone: It is what it is, and that is the market. However, I was amazed with the plethora of $99 LLLL domains in the mix. The high-end names never got closer than 10% of their estimated, BIN, make offer, prices. And so it goes.

So, does anyone have an opinion about Afternic (GoDaddy)?

How about DAN.COM (a GoDaddy/Afternic company)? If the internet rumors are to be believed (Ha! With tongue in cheek 🤣), they are no longer in business, or have been subsumed completely into GoDaddy/Afternic with their rules.

Can anyone give me the real, real, on DAN.COM? I have a very specific interest in them. No rumors, please, I've read them all...

All the best of greetings and wishes of good luck to all....

Steve😎

PS: Internic??? Afternic.... Oops...my bad...someone reg Internic🤣

Last edited:

Helmuts

DNForum.com
★★★★★
Reaction score
Hi Steve, interesting..

@godaddy will be able to tell you more about Dan.com

what frustrates you about the @Sedo? .. did you know you can tag them here and Sedo will get a reply? .. not getting enough enquiries? .. something else?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the real, real, on DAN.COM
Hi

dan.com is still alive and kicking,
it's just that common sense and godaddy's MO dictate that we realize it (dan) won't be around for long.

we saw what they did with uniregistry, so expect the same with any other competitor they acquire.

imo....

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello to you, GoDaddy...

To start with, I have been with GoDaddy since I reg'd my first name in 1997 (villas.com) for my Spanish Magazine 'Villas.' I used to have 6000 names with you folks...now retired from domaining, I am down to just a handful that I use either for my educational services or another entrepreneurial endeavor. I can't complain IN RE the Bob Parsons' era, but the dynamic has changed post B.P. It is what it is, as far as it goes: OK service...I just wish your telephone agents — and your login splash pages — would stop trying to up sell me. If I want something, I'll ask for it.

So I have given my auction portfolio to AFTERNIC, after trying out your competition (S**O). I have a few questions, because very few of your telephone agents have the answers*.

Nope, can't do that. DAN has been acquired by GoDaddy, so, as Biggie sez, the same will happen to DAN. I can hardly wait until I call DAN and the same chirpy GD voice says, "Welcome (from Arizona) to DAN (Netherlands, and a "separate" corporate entity from GD), how can we help you?"

I live in Europe, I am a 33-year full legal resident of Spain; I work here legally, own my home here, pay Spanish federal taxes here. In essence, I am a "non US Person." Our European currency is EUR, not USD. Therefore, it irks me that I cannot denominate my auction prices in EUR: Rather, I am compelled to list my domains at Afternic in USD, and then suffer the consequences of having to pay a currency exchange fee. BTW, I use WISE for all my international W/T USD <—> EUR transactions...no currency exchange fees and substantially less w/t fees than what you charge.

This is why I chose to cancel my account with Afternic and switch to DAN (domiciled in The Netherlands), as they do offer the option of denominating auction prices in either USD, EUR, or GBP.

* Another peeve, apologies in advance. I am a Professor of Maths, Economics and Business, with the credentials and experience to prove it. I educate my students to understand the positives and negatives of corporate mergers. Apropos to this discussion: The lack of communication between the merged entities. When I try to contact service a/o support on Afternic, my call is forwarded to GoDaddy...it's the same area code, the same woman's voice on the recording, etc., the same tedious holding music, the same uninformed call center agents who answer as "Afternic, How can I help you?" Yet, when I ask them something off sales script about Afternic vis-à-vis GoDaddy, there is a pause whilst they are reading their screens about how to answer, then the response is "GoDaddy and Afternic are separate companies...if you have a question about that, you'll have to contact GoDaddy." If I call GoDaddy about, for example, a change of DNS/nameservers to Afternic's DNS/NS. The answer is: "GoDaddy and Afternic are separate companies...if you have a question about that, you'll have to contact Afternic." Come on, folks! Your reps are in the same Arizona call center for god's sake. Do you really think I am this stupid, or a neophyte ready to reg his/her first name, and buy all the services you are up selling that I don't need or want, until I get the hit on my credit card bill and ask myself "WTF was that for?"

Well, that's what I was doing! You get it? Sheesh! The Brits say: "It's all a much of a muchness." In America that translation would be "A cluster f**k" a "Circle j**k"... a "Circular firing squad" ... well, you get the idea. In keeping with Helmuts'/DNF's "First, do no harm'" policy, and being polite, per DNF, let's leave at, as my dearly departed redneck brother once said, "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person!" Politely, "The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing." Agreed?

This is Constructive Criticism, as I am not a hater. I have been with GoDaddy for ages, and I sincerely hope to stay with you.

Please help!

All the best, Steve Russell (my real name)

PS: Please, feel free to do your due diligence on me: No secrets, no skeletons in the closet. I talk the talk and I walk the walk, always have, always will: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tutormethis/

Last edited:

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Steve, interesting..

@godaddy will be able to tell you more about Dan.com

what frustrates you about the @Sedo? .. did you know you can tag them here and Sedo will get a reply? .. not getting enough enquiries? .. something else?
In keeping with your no flaming, be polite, policies, which, BTW, I am in full agreement we can chat on the phone about this issue. You have my number, or PM me, I am not going to publish it to the world.

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

dan.com is still alive and kicking,
it's just that common sense and godaddy's MO dictate that we realize it (dan) won't be around for long.

we saw what they did with uniregistry, so expect the same with any other competitor they acquire.

imo....
Yeah, Biggie, I dig. They are already doing it..... See my post in reply to GD's.

Helmuts

DNForum.com
★★★★★
Reaction score
I live in Europe, I am a 33-year full legal resident of Spain; I work here legally, own my home here, pay Spanish federal taxes here. In essence, I am a "non US Person." Our European currency is EUR, not USD. Therefore, it irks me that I cannot denominate my auction prices in EUR: Rather, I am compelled to list my domains at Afternic in USD, and then suffer the consequences of having to pay a currency exchange fee. BTW, I use WISE for all my international W/T USD <—> EUR transactions...no currency exchange fees and substantially less w/t fees than what you charge.

This is why I chose to cancel my account with Afternic and switch to DAN (domiciled in The Netherlands), as they do offer the option of denominating auction prices in either USD, EUR, or GBP.

very good points..

for the UK it goes even further > there is an interest among UK domain registrants in moving from dan to fruits.co because it might simplify compliance with UK VAT rules (not sure if it really is).. Sedo seems to be sorted as well.

.. @Sedo, can you share any possible dates of when the next upgraded Sedo website will be launched? .. at least, how far is it? .. fancy sharing some screenshots?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

ai, doesn't have hands.

imo...
Yeah, Biggie, I dig.....nor does AI have a conscience, or a sentient conception of morality. 0's and 1's...and if Quantum — a Pretty Cool (a disgraceful plug for my .com domain at auction 😛) 4D, 0's, 1's and a ±electron super-position "spin." Not bad, if used for the betterment of humans. I am 73, an old school Professor approaching my end-of-life, and I tell my young students, ''Thankfully, l will be gone when this sh*t hits the fan and comes on down the road, and jolly good luck to you all."😎👨‍🎓

Last edited:

Maria fowler

Reaction score
Yes, DAN.COM is still active as of 2024, operating under GoDaddy's ownership. It continues to facilitate domain buying, selling, and leasing

Last edited by a moderator:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom