Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is it worth pursuing legal action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Someone agreed to purchase one of my domains including all scripts, design and the domain name. He signed a contract stating he'd make the first payment on 6/14. He hasn't paid and hasn't responded to any emails asking what's up.

Amount agreed upon was two grand. Worth pursuing in court?

And no, nothing passed to him. Licenses for the scripts were never transferred, nor had I paid the fees to do so. Domain is still locked and in my name. He never had access to anything.

I wanted to be sure I had at least 50% of the payment before I began transferring the licenses, and the agreement was 24 hours after I received full payment he could request a domain transfer and I would approve it.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is why a contact should include a deposit, and a clear explanation that buyer loses his deposit if he 'falls asleep'.

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, great idea Juniper. A deposit will surely help in these kinds of situations. I will have to remember that.

freestyler

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
move on to better things :)

Joe

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
small claims. :eek:k:

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks -- he's up in Canada. I've suffered a loss of income due to his breach of contract. He signed a contract stating I'd receive the first payment on 6/14 and didn't -- that is not a breach?

I could go the Small Claims route but he won't show and I'd win by default. I'd then have to pursue him up North and that would probably cost a hell of a lot of money.

The deposit is a good idea, but if he had a few hundred to put up on deposit, he'd not have had to wait a month to make a 'first payment' ..... which never transpired anyway.

I've lost money, I've lost time, and the latter is much more valuable to me in the long run. Now I have to start the search process all over again to find a buyer.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"I've lost money, I've lost time, and the latter is much more valuable to me in the long run."

If time is the major part of the loss, then you'd spend more time trying to recover the money.

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But now I'm pissed off enough to want to waste my time going after him, as long as I recover my two grand :)

Is it true, John, that a signed contract is worthless unless I have a deposit? From what I've seen of Judge Marilyn Milian, that's not true ......

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"But now I'm pissed off enough to want to waste my time going after him, as long as I recover my two grand."

That's perfectly understandable.

But what is "worthless" depends on one's definition of "worth". There is oil underground in Oklahoma. Is it worthless? Heck, no, oil trades at around $40 a barrel. But if it is going to cost $50 a barrel to extract the oil in Oklahoma, then there it sits. (divergent rant: That's what's wrong with the whole 'dependence on foreign oil' thing - we can produce plenty domestically, but we can buy it abroad cheaper, so it is rational to buy it abroad. It is just a question of price.)

You have choices about how you want to spend your time. If you can spend a couple of days chasing after that 2 grand, or if you can do something else for a few days which is more profitable, then what are you going to do?

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hell hath no fury like a businesswoman scorned

:)

I'm going to go after him, and I have an attorney in mind, I just have to call him as his email has been sitting in my in box for a few days (lashes with a wet noodle welcomed).

HOWARD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A contract consists of an offer, an acceptance and consideration passing from each to the other. Without that consideration ($$), the contract is executory at best and unenforceable at worst.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pam: If it's an adult domain name, posting about the deal gone sour on GFY might be a way to go after him, so that it warns other people about the person.

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's sort of adult, and I posted the site for sale on another adult board (not GFY) and he responded. He's not well enough known so a post on GFY wouln't do much good I don't think. And, well, considering the bull**** that's posted there, who knows how many would believe it .....

Well, I guess I can either be pissed about this, or learn from it and move on, and I did learn, so will go begin trying to sell it once again :)

Too bad I'm not allowed to post it in the "websites for sale" section on this board -- it's a great site and can make a lot of money!

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
HOWARD said:
A contract consists of an offer, an acceptance and consideration passing from each to the other. Without that consideration ($$), the contract is executory at best and unenforceable at worst.

Thanks. Should have listened to my mother and gone to law school .......

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom