Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is .mobi the future of cellphone websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what does everybody think about .mobi in the future for cell phones??

raoul

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no, the development of mobile phones is going so fast, i cannot think of a phone that was released last 2 years that cannot visualize normal content in their browser.

So either telecom devices development is going to fast, or .mobi (release) was going to slow.

broe-foe

Account Terminated
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
what does everybody think about .mobi in the future for cell phones??

It's not necessary to have a .mobi name, but obviously huge corporations are marketing in .mobi, including coke, sheraton, hilton, BofA, lots of other banks, Fidelity Investments, Purina, and on and on and on.

Hype is what it's all about. If the majors use it, others will follow whether it's needed or not.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mobi? It's a new type of absorbents? :D
.mobi is dead.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really think .mobi is kind of a novelty ext. at this point...The top keywords will be traded....

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

raoul

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really think .mobi is kind of a novelty ext. at this point...The top keywords will be traded....

sure, its now already happening in my .mobi, google not exclusifly tread it as "device domain" , but the thought, why it was setup (and still treaded) is many years to late

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Exceptionally intelligent devices and browsers are still far off.

Auto detect sucks. That feature determines on it own what you see and don't see.

Fact still remains that a .mobi compliant site renders a site in a format to fit any mobile device. And it has the distinct advantages of using a miniscule amount of bandwidth.

Not to mention they work flawlessly on PC's as well as a mobile device.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Exceptionally intelligent devices and browsers are still far off.

Auto detect sucks. That feature determines on it own what you see and don't see.

Fact still remains that a .mobi compliant site renders a site in a format to fit any mobile device. And it has the distinct advantages of using a miniscule amount of bandwidth.

Not to mention they work flawlessly on PC's as well as a mobile device.
Good points.

-ET-

Dn Guru©
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mobile.domainname.com
m.domainname.com

Many of them have opted for this option.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
here's a few small brands that have taken the .mobi route:

http://why.mobi/brands.php

there's been so much negative statements from many domainers that most are actually unware big brands adopting, using and promoting the extension.

i know theres lots of vanity extensions rolled out, asia, me etc and i guarantee imho no big companies will use them
.mobi has a purpose and is highly brandable

fact is prices are very low and will stay low for some time, all domains have been hit and will continue for a time.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think .mobi will be used for a significant number of mobile websites, it already is actually. I still like it as an extension that tells someone right away it's a mobile sized website, and for the 'coolness' factor. I have dropped a handful of my longer two or three word .mobi's though, even though they are great keyword terms, because I think shorter is better for someone typing on a cellphone. The market for one word and short phrases will continue to do well for .mobi. Mobile websites still haven't taken off in North America, and until they do it will be hard to judge .mobi's success.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mobile.domainname.com
m.domainname.com

Many of them have opted for this option.
It is my understanding that subdomains do not get the same treatment for SEO and ranking as those that do not have prefixes and suffixes.

Plus, google is indexing mobile sites including .mobi.

The reality is...

nothing pleases me more to see experienced domainers and web designers to think it is trash.

Seriously. I hope no one on this forum likes them, uses them, or develops them.

So rather than tout the benefits of .mobi and mobile compliant sites, I'll just go along with all arguments against .mobi.

That will keep the flame wars down and the 27 page arguments to a minimum.

there's been so much negative statements from many domainers that most are actually unware big brands adopting, using and promoting the extension.
Pred is right about this. Within one week or so, we see new promotions from Coke, Chase, and Microsoft.

But you are not likely to see heavy promoting in North America...yet.

The MS ad was in a top Spanish newspaper. Many of the other promos have been outside the US territories.

So I hope the domain gurus and gods continue to preach the damnation of .mobi.

For I am a sinner. :eek:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How long til mobile sites are big in North America?
As long as it takes for the Madison Avenue ad people to wake up to the mobile internet and get out of the 20th century.

They do not want you or anyone else to become self sufficient in creating, designing, or building your own campaign, including your own web sites.

The advertising industry relies on selling the client on the premise that he or she (the client) can not succeed and go it alone without their (the advertisers) assistance, guidance, and expertise. That is what advertisers count on and depend on.

Asia is thought to be 2 years ahead of us in technology and know-how. The computer manufacturers no longer waste a penny (yen) on promoting laptops in Japan anymore. The mobile device is the portable computer of choice in Japan and other parts of Asia like Korea.

Europe is thought to be about 1 year ahead of us. The advertisers and major brands in Europe are getting into .mobi and the mobile internet.

Granted, the iPhone is a marvel unto itself. But the touch screen and scrolling technology were already in place in these Asian countries.

Folks here talk about "gee, wouldn't it be nice if our phones could read barcodes and we could pay for things" when this has actually been going on for several years in Japan.

I have the iPod Touch which is essentially the iPhone minus the phone. A full site like NYtimes or CNN.com is still not a pleasurable experience to find things. It is time consuming and annoying at times. But a nice device.

So how long will it be for .mobi's wide acceptance here in N.A.? Not long.

And do keep in mind that domainers DO NOT control the internet and DO NOT dictate trends to consumers. They just wish they did.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mobi is dead. It was five years too late. Anyone who owns a new phone like the iphone knows there is no need for any type of specially crafted mobile page for them to view the website. Oh sure it takes two seconds more to load, but I'd rather wait two seconds and get everything than save it and get next to nothing.

mobi websites are useless stripped down neutered websites compared to the real thing. If you really think consumers would prefer that to the real deal you are seriously deluded and invested too heavily in mobi to see reality.

Then there is the tired old - "you have to scroll on an iphone." Well you have to scroll on your laptop and desktops too. Feeble excuse imo.

I won't redo any of my websites going ahead to target mobile traffic. It would be a waste of time, a waste of money and a waste of effort. As I and others predicted, the technology is rolling along at a quick pace and the browsers are rendering content as developers intended already today. Tomorrow they will be even better. Next year they will have it down pat. Bye bye mobi. Good on those that flipped early during all the self-created hype.

cleverlyslick

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mobi? It's a new type of absorbents? :D
.mobi is dead.

maybe .mobi could have potential, i mean zagat is promoting their website all over new york with the .mobi extension. it's a start ya know.

raoul

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
maybe .mobi could have potential, i mean zagat is promoting their website all over new york with the .mobi extension. it's a start ya know.

Its a hype, that guys in "purple trousers*" made up.

* purple trousers = Some university guy, with glasses that makes up things like:
-clear beer
-toiletpaper with lavendel smell
-. mobi advert campaings all over NY

:smilewinkgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom