Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Is the WHOIS disappearing on May 25th inst. ?

carledgar

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I rec'd the following email today, purportedly from SEDO. Is this for real and, if so, why would they only give three days notice?

Hello Carl Edgar,
On May 25, 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation will take effect. This means the WHOIS will “disappear”. In the new public record system, personal data will no longer be visible either to individuals or Sedo. So far we were able to verify from the WHOIS records that you are the legitimate owner of the domains you listed for sale. This means it will be much harder for us to match your account data with the WHOIS information in order to clear your domains for sale on our site.

The Solution: Our Owner Self-Verification. With the Owner Self-Verification, you can quickly prove your ownership of any domain you list for sale. Even on weekends and holidays!

3 steps to Owner Self-Verification

1. Sedo provides you with a personal ID in your account under "Domain Management" under the tab "Owner Self-Verification".
  2. Copy it and enter it at your registrar. To do this, visit your registrar and make this update within the DNS settings.
  3. Enter your verification ID into the TXT record field of your domains. If your registrar needs you to submit a Hostname, simply enter “@”. Also, if you need to enter a TTL value, please enter “3600”.
Your ownership will be verified once the DNS information is updated. With your support, we can ensure that only domains that have owner-verified credentials are still listed on the marketplace.

Domain summit 2024

carledgar

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wrote to SEDO on the 23rd Kang and have rec'd no answer other than acknowledgement of my mail:)

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think its because there is no clear cut answer. ICANN is trying to get out of it on the macro scale, but did not succeed yet.

Godaddy will only enforce for customers living inside the EU removing all whois info from their domains, other registrars have said they will remove from all customers domains. Frankly its been rushed and ill thought out. It will be chaos and I am 99% sure that the policy will be amended in key areas down the line. Lobbyist was caught on the wrong foot, but once the commercial implications become obvious we will see big money move against this. But short term its up in the air. So lets see tomorrow.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this clears the way for frontrunning, and now, no need for privacy.

also, buying and selling of stolen names, may be harder to catch and/or verify

oh well..... blame it on trump :)

imo.....

carledgar

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think its because there is no clear cut answer. ICANN is trying to get out of it on the macro scale, but did not succeed yet.

Godaddy will only enforce for customers living inside the EU removing all whois info from their domains, other registrars have said they will remove from all customers domains. Frankly its been rushed and ill thought out. It will be chaos and I am 99% sure that the policy will be amended in key areas down the line. Lobbyist was caught on the wrong foot, but once the commercial implications become obvious we will see big money move against this. But short term its up in the air. So lets see tomorrow.

Thanks, Castion. That gives us a bit more perspective.

carledgar

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I rec'd the following email today, purportedly from SEDO. Is this for real and, if so, why would they only give three days notice?

Hello Carl Edgar,
On May 25, 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation will take effect. This means the WHOIS will “disappear”. In the new public record system, personal data will no longer be visible either to individuals or Sedo. So far we were able to verify from the WHOIS records that you are the legitimate owner of the domains you listed for sale. This means it will be much harder for us to match your account data with the WHOIS information in order to clear your domains for sale on our site.

The Solution: Our Owner Self-Verification. With the Owner Self-Verification, you can quickly prove your ownership of any domain you list for sale. Even on weekends and holidays!

3 steps to Owner Self-Verification

1. Sedo provides you with a personal ID in your account under "Domain Management" under the tab "Owner Self-Verification".
  2. Copy it and enter it at your registrar. To do this, visit your registrar and make this update within the DNS settings.
  3. Enter your verification ID into the TXT record field of your domains. If your registrar needs you to submit a Hostname, simply enter “@”. Also, if you need to enter a TTL value, please enter “3600”.
Your ownership will be verified once the DNS information is updated. With your support, we can ensure that only domains that have owner-verified credentials are still listed on the marketplace.

I'm starting to think it applies only to data collected on European Union residents, based on further reading.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No afraid not.. The nationality is actually only relevant to determine where the service(s) are being delivered as I understood.

This guy read it all, asked the experts and is still somewhat in the dark:
http://www.davidfroud.com/gdpr-not-just-eu-citizens-or-residents/

According to him "Recital 14 states – “The protection afforded by this Regulation should apply to natural persons, whatever their nationality or place of residence, in relation to the processing of their personal data. […]” – [it does not matter who or where they are];

carledgar

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No afraid not.. The nationality is actually only relevant to determine where the service(s) are being delivered as I understood.

This guy read it all, asked the experts and is still somewhat in the dark:
http://www.davidfroud.com/gdpr-not-just-eu-citizens-or-residents/

According to him "Recital 14 states – “The protection afforded by this Regulation should apply to natural persons, whatever their nationality or place of residence, in relation to the processing of their personal data. […]” – [it does not matter who or where they are];
i find, doing $9 auctions at FLIPPA that they can't determine ownership of whatever domain I'm featuring (daddyvalue.com at the moment), so I have to take my domain out of parking and point it at flippa.com - on the other hand I'm not getting flooded with offers of website development from the sub-continent

jkjames

Account Terminated
Reaction score
In May, the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will officially go into effect. The GDPR is ostensibly a law to protect the privacy of European citizens when it comes to how internet megacorporations like Google and Facebook handle their data. But the privacy regulations also come with some secondary effects whose influence extends far beyond the borders of the EU and ironically may actually serve to undermine the security of internet users, rather than protect them.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators