Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is this wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gptpark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I purchased a domain from someone about 6 months ago and I think this was the primary domain (aka email address) he used to reg his domains cause I keep getting his renewal notices. I don't have his contact info and as far as I can tell he's abandoned his domains (ie they don't point anywhere).

Is it o.k. to get a new password from the registrars (forgot password) and takeover the domains? or is this bad? Not that it makes a difference but I also just received an offer to buy one of his domains?

Any ideas?

Domain Days 2024

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree. Abandoned or not, they are still property of someone, and you do have to respect that.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If someone leaves their front door unlocked, can you steal their furniture? Or, should you, rather.

gptpark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well as you suggested I went back through all of my paypal transactions, etc. etc. etc. and I coudn't find anything. Then I remembered I purchased it from a registrar on 6/2/05 (looked it up).

I will make an effort to contact him via whois history phone # and send him a letter via standard mail. Other than that am I clear?

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gptpark said:
I will make an effort to contact him via whois history phone # and send him a letter via standard mail. Other than that am I clear?
Clear of what? Stealing domains. No!

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Then again registrars like nsi also selling domains that are others! I mean this pendigrenewal thing. How is it different from it?
I still would not do it, but just wondering

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
also..gptpark, Just because they dont point anywhere, doesnt mean they have been abandoned. Some people buy domains just to sell them, or even hang on to them, for later use. It would be considered Hijacking of the domains. You could get in a lot of trouble for it, but most importantly... its wrong. Just drop the idea and use your knowledge about domains in a good way.

Andrew Shaw

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be the same as someone selling you the house with a locked safe in the office? You just have to find the key and keep the cash or whatever is inside :) IMO I wouldn't do anything with the names. Unless it is like microsoft (dot) com

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No because the one name was sold to him...and nothing more. (atleast from what I get out of this) Its more like buying a duplex, and relizing that the nextdoor neighbors door is unlocked from your side. Just because you have the opertunity, it doesnt mean you should act on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom