Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is TM typosquatting ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Doc

you know we go back, but this is my opinion for now.....

because people cannot type or spell words correctly, means that all those errors belong to the correct word/words spelling of that domain?

and therefore any person who owns such "incorrectly spelled or typed" words of those correct words are infringing?

so many things are unfair or not right in this world

it wasn't fair when Bush stole the election. "terrorism/womd/war/roevswade/security/fema/oilprices/healthprices/etc"

it's not fair that gas prices went up more than $0.50 usd on a gallon of gas after the Katrina hurricane.

it's not fair that some won't be able to pay heating bills this winter.

it's not fair super retailers to pay low wages and sub par health benefits, if any at all. "wal mart"

it's not fair that companies are spending employees pension funds and thousands were losing their jobs because of corruption. "enron"

it's not fair that the cost of health care is too high. "any med plan"

it's not fair that insurance premiums keep going up. "any insurance company"

or my taxes. "fed/state/city/county/property"

my child's education "high school/college"

food for my family "any food company"

it's not fair that for years corporations have polluted the fresh waters of the earth, so now we have to pay for bottled water. "drilling/mining/oil/jewels

it's just not fair...all the way around.

except for those who got money, and lots of it.

that's all I'm trying to do

and if i gotta get my hands of a few typo's, cause all the revenue producing "generics" are taken by the "domain wallstreeters", then i'm going to take advantage of the situation.

because all those companies typo's, pay decent click rates, and it's my way of getting something back from them. as i feel they overprice me and you for everything that we consume.

a typo of a well know merchant, put me in a position to move up another level in this game.

i don't have the energy or time to develope websites.

so i do what i do, and don't feel any remorse or guilt.

everything is about the dollar.

even when i make a few dollars.....i'm still just surviving!

:)

Domain Days 2024

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Uh Oh...

Word Mark STOCKDOCTOR
Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: financial radio show. FIRST USE: 19980624. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19980624
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 75702297
Filing Date May 10, 1999
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition March 4, 2003
Registration Number 2718324
Registration Date May 27, 2003
Owner (REGISTRANT) StockDr.Com, Inc. CORPORATION FLORIDA 377 Maitland Avenue, Suite 202 Altamonte Springs FLORIDA 32701
Attorney of Record NEAL J BLAHER
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

M

mole

Motorcyclist is a very generic term, and so is Magazine. No case at all, imho.

Typosquatting is one thing, Reverse Cyberjacking is another. Both are equally bad. The main thing to consider is whether you have used the name in bad faith, and that is normall quite easy to tell with typosquatters who leave a trail so big a jumbo jet could land with room to spare.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not care much if Stocdoctor thinking we typo domainers are thieves and slimballs. AS he surely does not care many people on DNF now believe, he is a lunatic.

Yes, you are a thief )according to him) even if You have typo i.e. of shoes.com, because shoes.com is TM too. Actually there does not exists many typo domains, which would not be either TM "confusingly similar" or breaking "common law trademark rights".

I think Stocdoctor should be made an admin and keep deleting all "OVT domains for sale" threads, until all those "thieves and slimmbals" from this forum move to another forums...

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
denny007 - please leave your personal comments out of this thread, they are not wanted

Don't try to personally attack Stoc - he brought up a very valid point and we should be discussing that issue rather than trying to discredit him.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
Hey Doc

you know we go back, but this is my opinion for now.....

because people cannot type or spell words correctly, means that all those errors belong to the correct word/words spelling of that domain?

and therefore any person who owns such "incorrectly spelled or typed" words of those correct words are infringing?

so many things are unfair or not right in this world

it wasn't fair when Bush stole the election. "terrorism/womd/war/roevswade/security/fema/oilprices/healthprices/etc"

it's not fair that gas prices went up more than $0.50 usd on a gallon of gas after the Katrina hurricane.

it's not fair that some won't be able to pay heating bills this winter.

it's not fair super retailers to pay low wages and sub par health benefits, if any at all. "wal mart"

it's not fair that companies are spending employees pension funds and thousands were losing their jobs because of corruption. "enron"

it's not fair that the cost of health care is too high. "any med plan"

it's not fair that insurance premiums keep going up. "any insurance company"

or my taxes. "fed/state/city/county/property"

my child's education "high school/college"

food for my family "any food company"

it's not fair that for years corporations have polluted the fresh waters of the earth, so now we have to pay for bottled water. "drilling/mining/oil/jewels

it's just not fair...all the way around.

except for those who got money, and lots of it.

that's all I'm trying to do

and if i gotta get my hands of a few typo's, cause all the revenue producing "generics" are taken by the "domain wallstreeters", then i'm going to take advantage of the situation.

because all those companies typo's, pay decent click rates, and it's my way of getting something back from them. as i feel they overprice me and you for everything that we consume.

a typo of a well know merchant, put me in a position to move up another level in this game.

i don't have the energy or time to develope websites.

so i do what i do, and don't feel any remorse or guilt.

everything is about the dollar.

even when i make a few dollars.....i'm still just surviving!

:)

Wow Biggie! I agree with 90% of what you write. I'm sure we're on the same side on most everything there. I must also say that your post is the closest anyone has come to convincing me that typosquatting is ok. I would have to admit that if anyone could typo exxon/mobil off the planet, I'd be all for it.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
denny007 - please leave your personal comments out of this thread, they are not wanted
Don't try to personally attack Stoc - he brought up a very valid point and we should be discussing that issue rather than trying to discredit him.
If you did not notice, he calls me (and probably you too) and many other domainers THIEVES and SLIMEBALLS. Don't you think LUNATIC is much less insult than i THIEVE ? Because Lunatic is actually not meant, but thieve IS MEANT. But there is NO DEFINITION and a law, that typosquatters are thieves. So he actually swearing/calling names: http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?p=699293

Stocdoctor said:
Wow Biggie! I agree with 90% of what you write. I'm sure we're on the same side on most everything of what you write. I must also say that your post is the closest anyone has come to convincing me that typosquatting is ok. I would have to admit that if anyone could typo exxon/mobil off the planet, I'd be all for it.
FYI Biggedon just admitted, he does TM typos too. So could please tell him, he is also THIEF and SLIMBALLS ? Or it is just me, although my portofilo for sure is much smaller then Biggedons...
(just for the record, I like what Biggie wrote).

I am now quite busy to evalute the bids on the Nameking portfolio dropping. It will be huge !

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I am not much of a traffic domain person (I own a few, but not many) and I dont hold any TM'ed names.

Don't you think you are taking it a bit too far with your new signature? Stoc was presenting a legit point of view and all you have done is get angry and try to ridicule him.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont hold any TM'ed names
Nissan350Z.ca under your nick ?

Don't you think you are taking it a bit too far with your new signature? Stoc was presenting a legit point of view and all you have done is get angry and try to ridicule him.
But he said that. Exactly that. Read the thread. If someone is ridiculing him, it is himselves at first place !

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
Uh Oh...Word Mark STOCKDOCTOR

Imagine those guys trademarking that name in 03. I might have opposed it had I knew about it, as I had used the term in published research way back in 85. Called "prior use", and these guys probably got it from me. I take it as a compliment, but their TM would not affect me in the least.

By the way, (for the thread readers) I don't have a problem with a lot of these guys like Juniper, or Stuff, or Biggie etc., I just may not agree with them on this typosquatting issue. Doesn't mean I don't share their positions on a number of other areas.

Thing is though that attempting to discredit someone personally or directing "personal" insults is NOT the way to debate an issue. If I say that I think typosquatting is slimey and outright traffic theft, it is not labeling or insulting any one person, but rather the action. Now if someone like this "Denny" guy takes it personally, that's his decision, but that does NOT mean it's ok for him or anyone else (that subscribes to the opposite view on the issue) to personally try to discredit or attack me.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thing is though that attempting to discredit someone personally or directing "personal" insults is NOT the way to debate an issue....Now if someone like this "Denny" guy takes it personally, that's his decision....
Let me cite YOU: "TM...if you use a typo of it now to redirect traffic for your own personal profit, you're a thief and a slimeball". And as was obvious from our previous conversation, I own some profitable typos. So actually it was same like telling "you are a thief !". I can NOT to not to take it personally, GEE !
personally try to discredit or attack me.
You are doing that pretty well by yourselves, I am just pointing out, what you said. Or are you ASHAMED now of what you said ???

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Denny ... just say you are "holding" the names for the TM holder and it is okay it seems.

Shaun

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Denny, do us all a favour and get rid of that lunatic signature before the mods get to you...

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
Nissan350Z.ca under your nick ?

Don't own it anymore - just dont feel like spending a bunch of DNF$ to change it - check the WHOIS if you don't believe me.

Again, that doesn't really relate to this discussion since it was used as a community for owners and was not monetized.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aZooZa said:
Denny, do us all a favour and get rid of that lunatic signature before the mods get to you...
So it works as intented, great ! I am not aware of breaking any rules, if it is, I am sure the Admins will straighten it. I will change it when I feell the time mellows...

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aactive said:
Denny ... just say you are "holding" the names for the TM holder and it is okay it seems. Shaun
Shaun. The difference is that I don't just "say" it, I actually do acquire names and hold them for the TM owner. A few of the old guys here know that for the last 3 years or so I have caught drops and even purchased TMs straight out, held, and returned them to their rightful owners. I have letters of thanks from many large corporations like the NYSE, Burger King, Eveready Battery, Disney etc etc. to my credit. Then again I've stood my ground and helped a lot of other domainers to protect their domains from "Domain Highjacking" that the corporations do to try to corral common or generic terms that they should have no right to. I think "domain hijackers" are theifs too for that matter.

But again, the topic of the thread is "TM Typosquatting" not "cybersquatting" and so maybe you can present your thoughts on whether that activity is good or bad, rather than just try to ridicule me.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have caught drops and even purchased TMs straight out, held, and returned them to their rightful owners
Wow, so you paid with your own money and gave it back for "thanks letter"...Is it you Bill ? Or you,Warren ?

...rather than just try to ridicule me.
YOU tell me about who is taking things personally...

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
Wow, so you paid with your own money and gave it back for "thanks letter"...Is it you Bill ? Or you,Warren ?
Yeah I do, and don't have a clue what you mean by Warren?
YOU tell me about who is taking things personally...
Yeah, can we get back to the topic instead of you continuing this flame war of yours?

I shouldn't get sucked into this "baiting" of yours here "Skipper", but how long ago was it you retired from the SS Minnow? http://www.myimagehosting.com/pic.php?u=1851saEbC&i=22002 http://alanhale.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom