Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is webhostingtalk.com too strict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleski

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think this is too strict, but I wanted to know what you think. I registered there about 2 years ago and only made maybe 10 - 20 posts when I was looking for a web host. 2 years later, I have forgot the username and password I registered with so I decided it would be easier to make a new account. Within 30 minutes of making the new account, they disabled it. I contacted them and asked them why and they said it was because I had multiple accounts and they had a zero tolerance policy.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Explain your situation to a moderator, I'm sure they can see that your last login was many moons ago and you were not being deceptive.

Pleski

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I just opened up a support ticket. It probably won't be looked at until Monday though. Even if they decide to keep me banned, I don't really need to go there... all I wanted to do was make an offer on a template.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some flexibility is always good, but for a forum of that size and scale, keeping it useful AND friendly at the same time requires superb moderating skills (esp. at the top level) which are really difficult to find these days. And my my take is that strict rule enforcement shouldn't create that too many problems, double standards do. Just some personal observation from moderating *another* web hosting related forum for a bit over 2 years now. ;)

Pleski

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I once moderated a semi-popular gaming forum and I'll admit it was rather difficult to tell between the knowing violators and the newbie who didn't understand the rules. I can't imagine how hard it is to moderate a forum of that scale, but I do believe the moderators are paid there, are my correct?

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Webhostingtalk cannot afford to have their TOS be violated in any way! eg advertise 2 x in 1 week etc. then all 115,000 members could in turn violate the rules etc. Thats why they must be strict!

Also we are forgetting, webhostingtalk is not an average forum run by some guy from their house! its actually run by quite a big online venture! they need to keep the place professional / stricct. I applaud their mods Especially anon-e-mous :) he is 1 stricct mod!

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WHT is a terrible forum, people crap in nearly every sales thread and the mods do nothing.

I dont even visit anymore.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
WHT is a terrible forum, people crap in nearly every sales thread and the mods do nothing.

Why hold back GT, tell us what you really think ;)

-=DCG=-

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:

I enjoy reading the kiddie hosting posts, highly amusing
"50gigs space
Unlimited bandwith
$5 a year"

I like the shills also and the self proclaimed private investigators who come out of the woodwork every 3 months or so when one of the hosts goes under and you get 50 page threads.

It's almost as funny as genmay.

Pleski

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LeftRightOut said:
I enjoy reading the kiddie hosting posts, highly amusing
"50gigs space
Unlimited bandwith
$5 a year"

I like the shills also and the self proclaimed private investigators who come out of the woodwork every 3 months or so when one of the hosts goes under and you get 50 page threads.

It's almost as funny as genmay.
Well, I would never go there for hosting. All I was going to do was make some offers on some templates.

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just clear your cookies and use a proxy then you can re-register and post, i also think they are way over the top strick and seem to contradict themselves, for example you can trash another company so long as you do it as a question

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And don't forget that WHT has come a loooong way, and some of the top mods who helped build the forum from ground up have left.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
does anon-e-mous get paid? he seems to be online 24/7 lol and checks Every post!

TheWebJunkie

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i wont even visit the wht forum anymore, the staff are to far up there own arse's.

If you want a good forum i visit dnforum or sitepoint :D

Pleski

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I got a responce; "you appear to be banned under two usernames". That's okay, though. I'll just buy templates elsewhere.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if your looking to buy / sell templates try sitepoint.com or yaxay.com :) probably better than wht.

dotNames

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree SitePoint is far better than WHT.

I would also avoid Yaxay, as long as they are the same group than WHT.
They are way too strict also.

And i really don't like the way they are leading, generally, their forums.

Pleski

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will try sitepoint.

ticky

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pleski said:
Thanks for all the replies. I got a responce; "you appear to be banned under two usernames". That's okay, though. I'll just buy templates elsewhere.

You could check out yaXay's contests. Although I think its about luck. Sometimes you do get great submissions (If the prize is big enough). Take a look at some of the past contests to get an idea.

inetsource

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think webhostingtalk is a good forum. There's alot of rules wherever you go it's just a part of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom