Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Its official, .us domain names are harder to sell than .ws domain names

Status
Not open for further replies.

updatedsports

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Why the doesn't anybody buy .us domain names? I can't even sell then on ebay. Even domain names that have over 40,000 searches on overture won't sell for $15. . It was easier to sell .ws domain names a year ago than it is to sell .us domain names now. Is anyone else having trouble selling them?

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
high quality.ws names are definitely something to look at (long term) for developers. Not sure what they are doing on the open market. Someone said that "Reservations.ws" sold for $400 on Afternic, which isn't all that bad. I've already had a few offers on my "Database.ws" and "Retirement.ws" names, which I am not selling so there is interest there.

As far as US sales, it would seem that "private" sales are doing better right now than auctions. If you have some decent .US names, you may want to try and contact "end users" directly. Mind you, I think "Decent" is all that's moving right now.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by updatedsports
Why the doesn't anybody buy .us domain names? I can't even sell then on ebay. Even domain names that have over 40,000 searches on overture won't sell for $15. . It was easier to sell .ws domain names a year ago than it is to sell .us domain names now. Is anyone else having trouble selling them?

I'd like to see the .us names you had for sale on ebay that wouldn't sell for $15. I've paid over $2k for some "decent" us names as Izopod might qualify them. I've also sold some for over $2k. I'd like to have some of what you're smoking if you think you can OFFICIALLY declare that the .us names secondary market is underforming that crappy ws extention. I could use the power trip. Doc

hhunterjr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with the Doc.

.Us names are already selling - it's just a matter of how much they are worth. The value of .us domains is only going to go up as the domain gains more recognition.

I do see that you're selling FWH.us on dnforum.com. As far as three letter domains go - of any extension - it really has no value in my opinion unless it's the actual abreviation for a company.
FWH could stand for a lot of things, but you'll have to wait for the buyer who needs that exact abbreviation.

Also you may have better luck selling that name on Afternic.com or on USForum.us. There are some .us enthusiasts on this site, but many are still stuck in the "Dot com or die mode."

As far as .ws - I've only seen a few sales of those. It may get better over time, but .us definitely has .ws beat hands down.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not even a competition..I have sold over 15 .US already and have purchased on the aftermarket 6 others.

To compare Samoa , there isnt even a "western somoa" anymore they dropped the westyern in 1997 http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ws.html

To compare that to .US is very shortsighted...

I think you are selling yourself way short if you exit this early from .US, you can PM your .US names also

updatedsports

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just having bad luck. Here are my .us domain names that I have not been able to sell.

fwh.us
abandonware.us
newsarchive.us
freechatroom.us
freeart.us
oldgames.us
updated.us
downloadgames.us
ppcsearch.us

I think these are good keywords. I thought downloadgames.us and abandonware.us were really good.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by updatedsports
Maybe I'm just having bad luck. Here are my .us domain names that I have not been able to sell.

fwh.us
abandonware.us
newsarchive.us
freechatroom.us
freeart.us
oldgames.us
updated.us
downloadgames.us
ppcsearch.us

I think these are good keywords. I thought downloadgames.us and abandonware.us were really good.

Most of them are just run of the mill names with not may searches updated, the 3 Letter I'll take though..
I placed sold on your sales thread.

DNS Kidd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had some luck selling .us names, last sale was $400, with TM on the side of the buyer. There isn't a lot of brand recognition among the public for the .us cc, so it's a hard sell to US retail buyers. I haven't found a good way to locate international retail buyers yet.

FYI, Go Daddy is presently ofering $5 .us domain renewals, and $7.65 .us transfers.

I would not want to be paying bills with .us sales presently, the benefits appear to be more long term than short.

oxen

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNS Kidd - where did you find godaddy offer $5 for domain renewals?

Thanks,

DNS Kidd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I deal directly with a rep, and they mail me the info. PM me if you would like to contact them.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is your official conclusion based on a sample of one?

The following data, based on a sample of 38 U.S. residents from a forum (which I ask not be mentioned here) is as follows -- "Please vote for those extensions that you think are worthwhile for registering and/or developing domains -- considering the quality of domains available and the prices to obtain those domains (by registering or by purchasing from others depending on availability). You may vote for multiple extensions. "

.COM 30 25.86%
.NET 20 17.24%
.ORG 11 9.48%
.INFO 16 13.79%
.BIZ 10 8.62%
.US 26 22.41%
.CN 3 2.59%
.TV 0 0%
.CC 0 0%
.WS 0 0%

Based on this data, I would say that .US is a much better investment than .WS... at least for United States domainers... at least in the context of the question asked. This matches my subjective assessment of sales observed during the past couple months.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Darn it Domebase, I wish you would stop confusing everyone with the facts! :)

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess for Western Samoan people, .ws is better? :)

M

mole

Originally posted by dtobias
I guess for Western Samoan people, .ws is better? :)

Someone reminded recently that there is no more Western Samoa, but only Samoa. So maybe it is .s you are referring to.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Drug.us was just sold at Afternic for $2,000. That surely beats any recent .ws sale (if any);) .

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have sold several .us names for over $2k. The movement is happening folks. Money is being invested in PR plans to elevate the recognition and acceptance of the .us namespace. One grass roots effort I've seen lately has been the "Declaration of Independence" from the .com king. That is one effort I'd be happy to support with research, time and money.

Watch out for the colonists, they're shooting from the trees and they intend to protect their space and grow.

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm long on both .us and .ws. Over the past 6 months I've sold exactly 104 .us and 3 .ws domains.

However, as good first-hand .us domains become more rare, the popularity of .ws will soar.

Simple economic theory supply vs demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom