Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Jerry Falwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This was on the front page of Yahoo News today:

LYNCHBURG, Va. AP- The Rev. Jerry Falwell says he has won the rights to two Internet domains that use his name after he threatened to again sue the man who set up the parody Web sites.

Falwell said Wednesday that an Illinois entrepreneur decided to turn over jerryfalwell.com and jerryfallwell.com rather than face further legal action. The sites spoofed Falwell's views on the Bible and his fund-raising methods.

No one answered the phone Thursday night at a listing for Gary Cohn, of Highland Park, Ill., and messages left with his attorneys were not returned.

The TV evangelist has been trying to gain legal rights to the domains since early last year, when he filed a complaint with the World Intellectual Property Organization. That agency ruled against him.

Falwell later sued Cohn in federal court in Virginia, contending that the Web sites were libelous and an instance of illegal cybersquatting. That lawsuit was dismissed in March on jurisdictional grounds. Falwell was threatening to file suit in Illinois.

Falwell said that after the Virginia suit was dismissed he and his lawyers discovered the name Jerry Falwell had been trademarked with Falwell's talk show "Listen America" several years ago.

That trademark was key in getting Cohn to surrender the domain names, said Jerry Falwell Jr., general counsel for Falwell's Thomas Road Baptist Church.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who ever Gary Cohn is, he didn't have a chance.

Falwell has deep pockets thru his ministry and "his" church. And, an ego that would not let him stop til he won.

I just noticed that the general counsel was his son!

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
God, Law, and Guns generally seem to go together. Pat Robertson, another 'fine' Virginia televangelist has a law school in Norfolk. I love these guys not and no one in legitimate religion should love them either.

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jerry Falwell deserves to have a metal pipe smashed against his skull. He is an evil man.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "legitimate religion."

Falwell is a scum bag, and he finances his wacky antics with donated money. I am sure he simply wore down Gary with legal costs.

If anyone donates to religious charities, they are a FOOL.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DCC, I think you are absolutly correct. I find many relisions, well, slightly controlling :) But lets not get into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom