Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Just joined the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchiexno1

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Phew so I finally made it. Wanted to have a bit of a go at this whole investing in domain names business, but Ill probably be rubbish at it.

So Ive learnt about the man who owns the web on google, Ive searched for a few names, learnt about buying expired names, and looked in to how to sell them.

One problem, I leaped a bit in my first auctions and have ended up with 3names on my first day (my girlfriend will kill me) So anyway I now own......

plooka.com
hipoh.com
digbooks.com

was that a really bad start - can I recover....

LOL

dreamant

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
start to build them out. Whats your ideas? plooka looks cool... how much that cost?

ck89102

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Welcome to DN Forum.
Terrific advice, ideas & links to be found in these threads so read, read, read.
And good luck!

Frenchiexno1

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes my mind is sponge - I am trying to soak up as much as possible. Ok so here is how a newbie thinks........

I saw Hipoh and though, ok its 5 letters and it sounds like something, as most names are gobbledygook - even a bit like a hippo! But a spelling mistake isnt probably the best idea....

Ok next Plooka. I have NO idea why - I just saw a long list of names and thought yep that one sounds like something paid $19.

Finally digbooks - which I think is quite cool - you dig books, and what better name for a site selling digital books......

And thats the problem talking yourself in to a sale!

garyrcanuck

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey
Welcome to the forum. Great place to learn from all from the experts

"Plooka" :lol: kinda love that name would fit in with all the wild names that are popping up these days. Should look into developing it, maybe a forum, something you believe is cool & interesting to others.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One piece of advice, put yourself on a strict monthly budget. The discipline of a monthly budget will force you to be more disciplined and more patient. It will limit your losses on bad decisions. And if you have to pass on a really good deal, just remind yourself that there will be other "really good deals" in the future.

Frenchiexno1

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
your definately right about the whole sometime just let the domains go advice. Its just the whole auction this is so inviting - plus while your waiting you convince yourself the names are so great. Then when the auction finishes you think - mmm actually that was stupid! But its fun to be 'investing' better than playing the lottery!

Im not to sure about the whole parking thing, I think that will be a waste of time, think Ill mock up some quick websites and get em listed on SEDO

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot worse and these aren't too bad, those are brandable, pronouncable names, similar to some used for web 2.0 sites. With the right buyer and right conditions these could sell for xxx up to xxxx, again it's possible but that's what's great about domains. Keep reading here and good luck!

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To be brutally honest I wouldn't touch any of the names you listed with a barge poll, even at reg-fee. If you got them at auction, and there was no competition – there's a good reason for that. There are literally tons of well-funded pros on the auctions and for that reason there are very few true bargains to be had.

You would be much better off buying off the forums or direct from domain registrants (IMO)

Learn the game the before playing it – you'll thank me later (maybe :))

Good starting points would be

Namenewbie.com
Dnjournal.com
DNF (You made it here so that's a promising start)

Welcome to to the forum and good luck.

- Rob

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Phew so I finally made it. Wanted to have a bit of a go at this whole investing in domain names business, but Ill probably be rubbish at it.

So Ive learnt about the man who owns the web on google, Ive searched for a few names, learnt about buying expired names, and looked in to how to sell them.

One problem, I leaped a bit in my first auctions and have ended up with 3names on my first day (my girlfriend will kill me) So anyway I now own......

plooka.com
hipoh.com
digbooks.com

was that a really bad start - can I recover....

LOL

Hi

Welcome to DNForum.com!

Hope you enjoy your stay here, while you continue to learn what's really going on.

Your names are creative IMO, and have some potential in the virtual community.

Opinions vary from one eye to the next, when it comes to a domains value...

but in the end, it's what a buyer is willing to pay, and what you're willing to sell it for.

Also...don't let your girlfriend dictate to you if you're going to invest in domains.....unless she's fronting the cash! :)

turner67

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You got those at an auction....damn,is all I can say..Just consider this a loss and read this forum then see if this is what you really want to do.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You have to start somewhere. As long as those names are below $20 each, I don't think they are that bad. Soon you will find more better names and starting making good money. :)

Welcome to domaining...

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Put a few of your regs into speculating on some generic "International Domain Names" (IDNs). Even a handful of names could really give you some serious capitol to get into domaining over the next year or two as this is an emerging market. IE7 browser support for Asia will roll out via automatic update in the next 90 days, and over the next year you should see the value of IDNs ramp up nicely. Some premium idns have commanded some serious money already which you can see on the sales chart at idntools (dot) net.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The one thing you DONT want to do, is invest your money in a speculative TLD or IDN, especially when you just left the starting gate, stick with .com, .net, & .org's for now, then when your better established, you can venture off into other TLD's.

I would focus on buying some revenue generating domains to keep you a float, the money you earn from parking will allow you to buy more domains and build your portfolio......Good luck! ;)

Domainmaster

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world of domains. Yes you can recover, my suggestion to you is to put down your credit card for awhile and do some research.

There are many very experienced people here and over at Domain State that you can learn from.

Do some research on your own, and read what others who have been around are saying.

Good Luck!

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The one thing you DONT want to do, is invest your money in a speculative TLD or IDN, especially when you just left the starting gate, stick with .com, .net, & .org's for now, then when your better established, you can venture off into other TLD's.

I would focus on buying some revenue generating domains to keep you a float, the money you earn from parking will allow you to buy more domains and build your portfolio......Good luck! ;)

IDNs do come in .com.... As a domainer you should "understand" that.

wael

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's better to buy one good domain than 20 mediocre names, or 1,000 garbage names. Bide your time, search the message boards and auction sites until you find that hidden gem, then go for it.

Look for real words (dictionary words), not too long, no hyphens or numbers, and no strange or speculative extensions. Ask yourself, would someone type this into the browser bar to see what comes up?

Stay away from trademarks and brand names, however, as they will get you in trouble and you'll be unable to market them. So (for example) USAmotels.com (generic but taken) would be a fantastic name, but motel6locations.com (a trademark) would be useless. Findamotelintheusa.com, although it's generic, is also useless in my opinion because it's too long and is very unlikely to get any type-in traffic.

Stick to dot coms if possible, but also consider .org and .net if it's a really nice one.

Research and become familiar with the tools that will help you determine in advance whether the domain gets any traffic. Have a clear idea in your head about what you want to do with the domain: park it, re-sell it, or develop it? Be sure the domain is appropriate for that particular use.

If you're not sure about whether a domain is a good buy, don't buy it.

Don't overextend your credit cards, as it's hard to recover. Try to sell a domain occasionally to pay for the ones you keep. If you've acquired a few bad domains that you don't want, try selling them cheap, even at reg fee, rather than just letting them drop.

When you find yourself with a good domain (i.e. one that makes money) keep it! Unless you get a truly irresistible offer.

Remember that the goal here is to make money. Don't fall in love with an idea, or a bad domain. Keep the winners, dump the losers, watch your bottom line, pay off your credit cards.

That's my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom