Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Just wondering about the logging in issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I submitted a ticket but when I checked it the other day it was closed and I am still having the issue. I did reply to support but have not heard back. Has anyone had this issue fixed? It is very annoying...

Upvote 0

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains: It's not the vBulletin settings that are likely at fault, nor our computers (my system works fine with other vBulletin boards, as others here have posted). One should look at the MODS / ADD-ONS / CUSTOMIZATIONS.

Other vBulletin boards only have 2 cookies, not the 10 that DNForum is using. It's not like the folks who are posting in this thread are all newbies.

To track down the error, probably one needs to setup a mirror of DNForum somewhere, using an unmodified version of vBulletin (i.e. default installation). Then add back each mod one at a time, and check the browser issue after each change. Once it starts messing up again, you've found the bug.

No one is saying you are a newbie, and sorry you still have problems. This forum is on a Windows server, not *nix, so cookies are set differently than the forums you are comparing us to, which are most likely on *nix servers.

This logout problem is solved by clearing all cookies from your browser, as others in this thread have confirmed. Like I said, I'm not calling you a newbie, but make sure all cookies are cleared, you may want to right click on the browser icon from the desktop to enter the settings of the brower so you are not visiting any sites that are being cookied, and delete from there, and also check any other folders that store cookies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains: I tried deleting them from the Firefox browser...it worked for a day but now I have to log in manually each time I visit.

Something, somewhere changed on the forum. I think George was right and its a mod...because I've been using this and many other VB forums for years and this is the first time I've ever had this problem.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll have someone who knows about the server take a look. Post back soon.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tried one last thing. Try deleting cookies and logging in now, clicking "remember me".

PS - you may not be able to log out until you clear all cookies, I had to change the cookie domain name to see if this works, sorry.

If this doesn't work, it's being passed up the chain to a programmer/tech.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I found a thread at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203823&highlight=safari

that had some suggestions (i.e. Try using a blank domain so the cookie is written to whatever domain is being used. If you continue to have the problem then try it on a default style, followed by the default files with no plugins if the default style still doesn't work).

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go here to fix your login/staying logged in issues and delete ALL:
http://www.dnforum.com/mycookies.php
Then, login with "remember me" checked.
This script deletes cookies differently than if you do it manually, and should fix the issues out there.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Still didn't work for me, grrrr.

When I'm logged in (i.e. right now) it says that the value of bbuserid is 0, and the value of bbpassword is empty (i.e. blank). Those are the important cookies, to be recognized when one returns. I did login with "remember me" checked.

It must be some add-on messing things up, writing to those values when they shouldn't be, or something.

I just logged in with Firefox (instead of Safari), and there the cookies are correct (i.e. bbuserid is a number greater than 0, and bbpassword has my hashed password). If I delete them all, I'm logged out, and when I login they are set to the right values again.

Not so in Safari, though. Interestingly, the IDstack variable does get set right in Safari (i.e. comma, followed by userid, followed by another comma). But, the bbuserid and bbpassword are wrong.

It could just be that Safari isn't passing the "Remember Me" as checked (it's definitely checked) properly.

Maybe what can be attempted is to *assume* that remember me is always checked (i.e. remove the "remember me" box). If someone doesn't want to be remembered, they can always just log out.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey George, clear cookies via that script, and this time, log in from a forum page, and not the nav bar. Try to make a post as a guest, and you'll see the login box telling you to log in. Check "remember me" (not checked by default here), and try that. Let me know what happens. Thanks

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Grrr, that didn't fix it either. It was a good idea, though. Oh well, I guess we can suffer for a bit (at least I have it so that the username/password are prefilled, so I can just click one button to get in).

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I'll keep an eye out for safari problems on vb. I asked you to log in there as that is an unhacked page, and the navbar isn't. Strange this is still going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom