Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

listing a name for more than 10,000 USD at sedo

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SedoCoUk

Hello people,

We are extremely proud to have such massive sales going through our system and it goes to prove my point made in various other threads that our 10,000 limit does not stifle the market. How could the limit be stifling the market if we have the largest number of 5 figure sales ever.

As I have stated a couple of times, the limit is not there at all to keep prices down. The higher the price, the higher our sales commission, so why would we want to throttle prices? The fact is the number of people who constantly want to list their poor names over the 10,000 limit is higher than ever due to the boom in sales. What could stifle the market more than letting disillusioned 4-word-with-hyphen.ws domain owners list their names for the 25,000 they think they'll get for it? How many bids would they get? A big fat 0. How many five figure sales have we had this year? Way more than ever before.

As usual, I'm not sure how many of you ever follow this through with me, I'd just like to invite you to go to www.sedo.com and click on 'advanced search'. Set the price limit to 10,000-100,000 and the 'date entered' to 'Last 2 days'. OK, 145 entires. Please tell me how many of them are worth $100 let alone $10,000! Really. There's 2-word.org/biz/org, madeup.tv, .ru domains etc. etc.

We really believe this policy at least restricts those who don't know or don't want to believe how much (or little) their domain is worth. Letting them off the leash would see sales stagnate and Sedo lose its integrity as a serious site with serious prices.

Email me if there's anything else. [email protected]

Ed

Key Account Manager
UK Marketing Associate

SEDO.CO.UK :: Buy and Sell Domain Names and Websites
tel within UK 0871 900 8450 :: fax 0871 900 8451
tel +49 221.420.758.156 :: fax +49 221.420.758.11
tel (US) (877)-349-5902 :: fax (212)-202-3951
email: [email protected] :: http://www.sedo.co.uk

_______________________ :: make a name for yourself.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why not have a parallel service to the appraisals?

Charge the same $39, and that unlocks the $10,000-100,000 range. Charge $59 (say) and that unlocks unlimited pricing. This should be 100% independent of what Sedo THINKS the domain is worth i.e. people are paying for the right to be treated as "experts" for that particular domain.

That way, you're not forcing people who don't agree with your appraisals to "waste" their money, but $39 or $59 is quite a strong deterrent against "stupid price" listings, considering the folks trying to sell the stupid priced domains probably regged them for $7-10 in the first place!

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SedoCoUk said:
...We really believe this policy at least restricts those who don't know or don't want to believe how much (or little) their domain is worth...

So basically, Sedo assumes all sellers are basically idiots...

SedoCoUk said:
...Letting them off the leash would see sales stagnate and Sedo lose its integrity as a serious site with serious prices...

Nothing says "serious" more than pages and pages of domains listed for sale with the price of "Make Offer" LOL!

Ron

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ron

You appear to have some deep resentment to SEDO, which is your business I guess. But this nit-picking everything Ed is saying, is somewhat unconstructive. We all agree in some way that the current situation with the $10,000 cap needs to be addressed, but lets do it constructively and not try to back SEDO into a corner. I learned a very big lesson this week that "you can catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"

ED, after all is an employee of SEDO and I think he probably agrees with a lot of what is said on the board, and it must be frustrating for him not being able to say what it really is he wants to say.. his hands are tied I would imagine. He has people to answer too and his own internal demons to fight.

If I may give you a scenario, I have all my domain listed for $60 as the minimum bid and $100 as the price but all are listed as make offer.. I get several bids each day, ok some lowball.. but this is good because that bid is recorded and the more bids you get the more you increase a demand. You can always say no and respond with a price of $100,000 if you wish, as there is no limit on the responding bid that I have noticed.

Anyway I digress, I got a lowball bid of $50 after a bit of negotiation the domain sold for 100 times that amount. You can always set your minimum bid to $10,000 and then negotiate from there. A domain name is only every as valuable as what someone is willing to pay for it regardless of what we think it is worth.

I myself are guilty of over pricing domains.. I was telling someone about a domain of mine and saying that it was worth $20,000 at least, ironically he was in the business in which the domain was related and he pointed out some facts.. after all this the domain sold to a reluctant buyer for $590.. huge difference.

We all have different methods of scoring prices on domains, and we are all right and all wrong at the same time. I dont believe for one second that Ed was saying that all buyers were stupid.. I think he was politely saying that people tend to believe that there domain is worth more than it is which is very true, and I am the first to admit that I am guilty of that.

If I actually trully believed in my portfolio appraisal of $1.3 Million, then I would have an Aston Martin sitting in my drive way.. but my feet remain firmly footed on the ground. Just because on paper its worth that, you know as well as I do, if I sold it all tomorrow I would be hard pushed to even make 1/4 of that.

You know I respect you, and your opinions and for the most they are very positive and contructive.. I agree with a lot of what you say, but again lets remain positive and tackle this together united.

Now Sit back and enjoy the ride.. getting stressed about things that are beyond your control will only give you more stress and we will lose the ValueNames that we have all come to know and love..

Cheer up mate..

namestrandsâ„¢

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom