Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Live Auction and revenue for dnForum

Status
Not open for further replies.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, i want you guys to take this post the right way. Dnforum.com is a great resource and porved to be of use to many of us.

I am concerned with the live auction. Something is not right. Either it is not working correctly, the timing is wrong or it is something i am missing.

I know people will say, its the sucky names that dont get any bids, but i strongly disagree with this.

I have followed some names which have not sold on the auction and saw them sell for even higher a price then the opening bid on LA. The java thing is a big put off and the interface is not that friendly. I have to say that the auction system which is in place at domainstate.com (which is also a free forum) is much much better. It allows people to bid at any time on any featured name. It allows reserves, etc. So my question is, why cant we have this type of auction? Why do we keep doing the same old thing with the java auction here?

By creating an auction like one at domainstate.com we will see better sales, etc. Open the auction up to all members, not just Platinum. Allow platinum guys unlimited ads and a maximum of 2 (2 auctions live at once) for unregistered, etc.

In aadition, why cant we have featured names? You want to generate revenue? Look at all those pathetic names featured at afternic and sedo. People pay for that. Why dont you guys want to have a featured domains listing? Get revenue from that and invest it into a solid auction system.

I just think that we simply stopped. Things are getting slower and slower every day. We need a fresh infusion of ideas and features.

What do you think?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This and other matters relating to domain sales is currently under discussion and action by the nominated committee - stay tuned for announcements in due course. :)

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah, thats great and everyting, but i do not see any posts there and it would be great to know exactly what issues are being discussed and what the progress is. It would also be great for all of us to talk about these issues, or is this a closed topic?

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
:weird:

You've missed a LOT on this subject, of late Com! :D
It is my understanding that only the chosen committee members will be making recommendations ... and then reporting their findings/announcements to the above thread.
If it's any consolation, I was firmly against the formation of such a "committee", and repeatedly stated that management ought to address the issues of the Live auction(s), since we're a PAID membership. Obviously, and somewhat sadly, this did not happen.
I'm sure the committee would love to hear your "suggestions", however ... I'd hope.
See you.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who was selected and who was doing the selection?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29308&highlight=committee

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29723&highlight=committee

Might be an idea to see what happens before condemning the arrangement - at least it's an effort to help everyone by the management cooperating with a random number of the members. We don't claim to be able to resolve all of life's problems but we are all on the same side and anxious to make things work well for everyone.
Give it a chance - to quote a saying "miracles we do at once - the impossible takes a bit longer" - give us some slack.

:)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice professionalism there Coolhost. Obviously you aren't somebody who can discuss something private till we have the matters ironed out. Do you work at the Pentagon btw?

Trust me. We are diligently working on a solution. Continued whining will only acerbate the situation. Which if you look at it is pretty good. While everyone who thinks they aren't getting their money's worth from the PAID membership, ole Duke is selling his names without very much trouble.

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29857

3 things are going well for him. He's got some decent names up for sale. They are adequately priced albeit slightly lower than what I would have priced them at, AND he's customer service oriented (Paypal, quick response, etc).

Take a lesson and learn. No one will solve your problems, irregardless if you "pay" for something or not. I pay for good roads, but you don't see me griping. I buy quality cars that can handle the roads.

I personally have more than gotten my money's worth from this forum. This isn't a "Yes" man comment either. Frankly I've had very little dealings with GregR (timechange.com vote) and have never had contact with DCG. So why have I benefited. I gotten to know people on this board and enjoy their company. I have sold names to them (none from any auction). I've even purchased a few. What a feeling that is to PM someone on a name they listed somewhere, and I get an immediate response. What customer service! And why not. Most of us are friends here.

SO if you see this board as nothing more than a "Paid Membership" I pitty you.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by com
Who was selected...?

here is original list

Originally posted by nhlrat
DNForum Committee Members
The following members have been put together for the DNForum Committee. If your name is on the list below, you will have access to a new Committee section by the end of the day today. If you have any questions please PM me. Thank you!!!

Realnames

Webhold

Jolthost

Duke

Namepopper

Isopod

Domainogre

Mr webname

Tippy

Frontrow

Bidawinner

Chatcher

Coachrock

Edwin

_yakov_

ed30

beatz

jh3

Giantdomains

Bob

Nameslave

Whois-Search

apparently one has declined

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thread: http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29723

Apparently some were "volunteers", while others were "selected", I'd guess by management. At least one person on that list has publicly stated that he did NOT volunteer and would not serve on such a committee.
Appears as though all of the moderators are on it, naturally. To be honest, I'm not sure how it was formed in its entirety, or what their tasks are, specifically. Though I was against its formation, in principle, I applaud those who have offered their time, effort, and additional resources ... remembering that they are paid members, as well.
Take care.

PS. Izopod - what are you talking about? :eek:
Please attempt to become fully informed of my stance on the issue before tossing out unwarranted barbs at me. Again, I commend you for dedicating your time and resources, but in principle, I believe that management should have tackled this head on. Read all of my posts, please. :)
Thank you.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost.com
but in principle, I believe that management should have tackled this head on. Read all of my posts, please. :)
Thank you.

Hmmm... Let's see. I believe there was a post from DCG in early May that asked what could be done to improve things. That thread went 60 posts strong. One benefit appears to have come from that thread is the wait time between posts has dropped by 30 secs. The committee that was formed seems to be moving things in the right direction. I don't understand you I guess CH. I really don't. If I see a problem, I use what is called "Jedi Mind Tricks" to make changes. Do a google on it and see how effective this technique works.

Also when you say "management" like you do, are you refering to DCG and NHLrat? You sound like a peon that works the third shift at a pencil factory when you do that. We are all equal here. This isn't a "labor VS management" issue. We are all trying to "better" DNF. Carping at "management" doesn't do a damn thing. DCG seems engaged from what I can tell.

Good luck!

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Izopod, clearly you have some sort of reading comprehension problem. You're entirely missing my main points over and over again regarding this topic.
Now, in some sort of state, you're bringing up the term "Jedi" in "Google" ... and I'm starting to worry about you. Truly. :eek:
Try to stay on topic ... and since apparently you're gunning pretty heavily for a Moderator position, it might serve you well to be better informed before posting in the future. I think your exuberance got the best of you this time, Izo. IMHO.
Good Luck on the committee, friend. :)
Relax.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We really don't need this argumentative thread just now - let's see what can be done and see how it works out. I would appeal to all to just leave it and wait and see. You can condemn later if necessary.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname
We really don't need this argumentative thread just now - let's see what can be done and see how it works out. I would appeal to all to just leave it and wait and see. You can condemn later if necessary.

I'm down with that, Mr Web. :)
I was simply trying to inform Com of the "history and evolution" of the Live auction committee before your committee friend, Izo started jabbing into me. He's an excitable fellow. :D
I appreciate your service here, as mentioned. Thank you.
Good Luck with your tasks.
:cool:

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I'm down with that, Mr Web. :)
I was simply trying to inform Com of the "history and evolution" of the Live auction committee before your committee friend, Izo started jabbing into me. He's an excitable fellow. :D
I appreciate your service here, as mentioned. Thank you.
Good Luck with your tasks.
:cool:

Not really an excitable fellow at all. Just hate to see human beings "flounder" when confronted with a complex situation. I prefer to "rise" to an occasion, rather then look to blame anyone. It's not in my nature. In fact, if someone took my money, took my house, and my job, I could turn it into a Country Music hit... j/k No I would have shelter by the end of the day, I would be working, and would have managed to get an advance at the job to cover my shelter food/costs. Maybe this is going a little deep for some, but a lesson is buried in here. If you don't see it. God help you is all that I can say.

If you look real deep at your posts CH, I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

If you look real deep at your posts CH, I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

OK, can I borrow your shovel Izopod?!? :eek:
LOL.
See you. :D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

OK, can I borrow your shovel Izopod?!?

Is this code for "Can you spare me a dime, brother?" :laugh:

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey... when did this get hostile? I was simply asking about the things i missed.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Everything's fine, Com ... just stay tuned to the "Committee Decisions" thread for updates (and hopefully, improvements) to the Live auction system! :D
See you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom