Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Live off of Domain Parking???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:wave:

A curious question (I'm sure its been asked before :smilewinkgrin: ), but can one live off of Domain Parking???

Thanks!

P.S. How much are you guys making monthly?

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes totally possible.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, but getting there today requires lots of funds since domain owners are not so eager to sell their traffic names anymore.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes, but in the environment today even an experienced domainer would have a hard time getting there if he/she had to start over from scratch, let alone someone just entering.

Rico

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes, totally. although the revenue decreases with lots of ppc parking systems, that worries me a bit.
I cant see myself working in a factory

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think if you earn like 10,000$/month from parking then its not hard to survive if you use the money to buy more names

artoo

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it is a little hard for me...

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's get the the HEART of the question... Can you start today and live off of PPC Revenue?

In other words, can you reg domains that you can make money with?

Answer... NO... you cannot buy a domain for $8 bucks, park it and earn $10,000 per month PPC revenues any longer.

Those days and domains are GONE.

YES, you can if you have $300 Grand to invest to buy such domains.

Question then is... If you have $300K to "invest", why do you need to live off of domains?

I'm really very tired of the idea and belief that the opportunity of the early 90's exists today for newbies coming in to this business. People that pander this false hope, in my opinion, are partially to blame for the throngs of less than premium domains being offered as premium domains, the prices people are asking for domains and the demise of CPC experienced through providers such as Sedo, Fab, ND, etc.

90% of the Revenue Holding domains are owned by perhaps only 10% of the market and that number is tipping in their favor daily as the frenzy to consolidate parking/traffic domains increases. Pretty soon, 90% of the revenue generating domains will be owned by only 1% of the market players.

Look at who asked the question... newer member, 56 posts... looking for validation that his forray into this market will be profitable and lucrative for him. He's asking if he too has the opportunity to do what The Whale has done, what Salient has done... what many of the top earners have done.

That is, invest in reg fees that earn big dollars. It's what we ALL want.

Unfortunately my friend, that opportunity has pretty much long passed and while there are still "Lottery" domains out there (one's that you get LUCKY with and win big), for the most part... that ship has sailed.

You CAN make some money, but you will need either one of TWO things...

1 - A super generic that you will only acquire at GREAT financial expense

2 - a HUGE portfolio that makes just a little bit each click, 100,000 names making .10 per click, to make the fabled $10K per month.

Either way, you are looking at"

1 - Some Generic Dot Common for $750,000 to $1 Million Dollars

2 - 100,000 reg fees at $9 or $900,000 tp $1 Million Bucks.

The choice is yours. Sorry about the reality check.

This kind of reality is why MANY of us are looking to development over parking. Developing a successful site gives you the opportunity to value your domain BEYOND earned revenue and brand it making it ripe for corporate or private acqusition. This is where alot of the big money sales REALLY are. The BIGGEST in fact. Look at the biggest Multi-Million Dollar sales (yes, and the BILLION dollar sales)... the vast majority are all about branded, developed domains and sites with a fe extrememly high end generics like Cameras.com (1.5 Million USD) or Diamond.com (7.5 Million).

There is hope and possibility, but don't buy into the idea that it is as simple as Park and Pray.

GoPC

zojila

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
After what GoPC said, no one need make another post. Newbies are well served. Look no further for better advise.

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Look at who asked the question... newer member, 56 posts... looking for validation that his forray into this market will be profitable and lucrative for him. He's asking if he too has the opportunity to do what The Whale has done, what Salient has done... what many of the top earners have done.

HA! :lol: First of all, I maybe a "noob" to DNF, BUT DEFINITELY NOT TO "DOMAINING" (to clear things up! :smilewinkgrin: )
(don't judge someone by how many "posts" they have!)
Thanks for the VERY INFORMATIVE post, though.
Of course, its NEVER EASY to make "easy money" in ANY MARKET...but I still believe it can be done.
I'm not at the "fabled $10K per month" yet...but I'm ACTUALLY slowly getting there! (by simple parking) :smilewinkgrin:
I (nor anyone) should NOW realistically look to do what ULTSEARCH (aka Yun Ye) or other early domain bigshots have done...but I trully believe there is still valuable potential in pure "domaining" (as opposed to developing).
Thanks!

After what GoPC said, no one need make another post. Newbies are well served. Look no further for better advise.

WHAT ?????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DRPM,

The obvious answer is 'yes'! Though this has the massive codicil that to do so one has to either be very lucky or one has to basically find an unrecognised parking revenue source.

Using GoPC's example of an income per month of $10,000 this would require 10,000 domains earning $1 each per month above renewal fee costs, or simply 1,000 domains earning $10 each per month above renewal fee costs. This is obviously still possible but I would suggest that it is not so easy! Perhaps more chance actually exists using ccTLD's than it does with gTLD's, though here too the market is quickly being overtaken by the 'big boys' already.

I generally totally agree with GoPC in his sentiments though, as I said to start with either luck or knowledge is required. I think though most domainers will start and look towards development rather than parking as their main route to financial success.

mgstudent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm very new to this business.
3 of my recent domain sales were $150, $600 & $1900.
Each of these domains I bought for reg fee.

I know that I've been very lucky with these, because those particular domains didn't seem that valuable to me when I bought them - but people wanted them badly enough and when I bought them I had projects in mind for them.

I have tried parking my 200+ domains and the payouts have been crap.
Traffic has been reasonable. One day I'll start learning more about parking but I really don't like the practice.

Sure if someone wants to pay a lot of money for one of my domains to park then I'll accept it. And if I had domains that I could park and make 10k a month then I would...

... but there is something about this practice that I dislike.
It just seems wasteful for 1 thing. I cringe when I land on a parked page and never click the ad links. I just think to myself what a shame that such a great name is parked. There is so much value that a great name is missing when it has a bunch of crappy adds on it's page...

I haven't really refined my thoughts on this, but I hope some of you can get my gist.

...getting back on topic slightly, as my earlier example shows there are still some other ways to make money from buying and selling domains - and the result of some of these ways is that the buyer develops a site, people who land are happier that something useful is there also.

:shy:

Just some thoughts that I have on parking - although, as I say, maybe my thoughts would be different if I was making $10k / month!

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is still possible to reg domains which make $10 and more per day. You have to do your homework and not follow the mainstream. If you only follow were everyone else goes, you won't be able to make a living out of domaining, unless you have alot of money to buy decent names/portfolios.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i can give you another example, you dont have to just park names, you can do domain trading as welll. Sometimes you get the domain real cheap and try contacting end users who might invest lot of money for the same name. About 5 month ago i bought a similar domain for 1000$ and just last week i sold the name for 9,000$. Learn to do business from a different angle

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
quitting your job right now to start from scratch doing domains full time would be about as smart as moving to vegas to play poker full time.

However, you can have a nice hobby that turns into supplemental income and eventually full-time income. 95% of domainers will never get past the hobby stage. 4% will never get past supplemental income. Realistically, if you were somewhat focused on it, I believe with new regs alone you could get $100 income going within a month. You could probably add $100 per month to that. You might have to spend $400 to get the $100 monthly income though. I don't think you could do it without TMs/typosquatting.

gemsergio

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actually if you had to start right now you can totally make even more than 10K USD within a few months.
you only need to score 300 domains that generate around 1 USD per day which is absolutley possible.
The other side of the medal is that you have to think differently and be good at it.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
HA! :lol: First of all, I maybe a "noob" to DNF, BUT DEFINITELY NOT TO "DOMAINING" (to clear things up! :smilewinkgrin: )

Of course, I thought it was implied, that I wasn't speaking to you specifically but to the 100s of new and older folks that come through these forums each and every day/week/month looking for the same answer.

No ill will intended, I wasn't trying to profile, nor was I trying to single you out as a newbie, but rather... address the burning question that plagues us all, regardless of the time we've spent in "da biz".

Best of luck and no hard feelings I hope :)

GoPC

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think Gemsergio is right. Wishful thinking? During the last three months, I registered domains now making 2000$ a month parked. Luck and focus can be helpful. I find these two qualities are usually intertwined.

I very much agree to Ducks' comments as well :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom