Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Looking for a dedicated server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Please PM or reply here with specs, setup and monthly fees -

Want a LINUX dedicated server. Your lowest package available.

Thanks!

-Bob

R

RotoHOST

Hi,
Do you require a control panel? (Plesk, CPanel, etc.)

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
It depends on the price of the Control Panel. I can certianly write my own and manipulate the requred files on my own. . .

Please quote without one and then give an option for the various control Panels you need ( I have only used CPanel, but I am sure that are all similar in functionality).

Thanks!

-Bob

Originally posted by RotoHOST
Hi,
Do you require a control panel? (Plesk, CPanel, etc.)

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
C'mon! Somebody out there must want to sell a dedicated server! Geesh!

-Bob

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
www.rackshack.net was hosting this site on David Thornton's dedicated server. I checked them out. They're cheap. The only problem is they're not flexible at all. No guarantee that if you buy more than one server that they will be on the same subnet. Can't get machines with 2 nics to connect 2 servers together.
I ordered the $119/month one. I'm going to give them a try.

P

prasit

Originally posted by GeorgeK
Bob: There was a company offering cheap ($39) dedicated servers through a CJ.com affiliate link only (see my website for the secret link, www.lowpricewebhosting.com ) That's the cheapest I've seen, but I think they had a setup fee.

i doubt it at $39. it could be virtual dedicated, not fully dedicated server.

unless the cpu is 386 w/ 8MB memory and 40MB harddisk.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
prasit: I think they were charging a $250 setup fee or something, so that covers much of the hardware. RackShack used to do that too, but I think now their setup costs are a bit lower.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
rackshack seem pretty good now...

if you are not in a rush you can normally catch a bargain in their daily deals where you get set-up for $1

I was going to go with them but they sold out the day i wanted my server so i went with www.sentris.com as they had a better package (slightly)

for $95 p/m I get

1.3ghz celeron
256mb
55gb drive
450gb bandwidth (based on avg. 15gb per day)
it comes with some kind of control panel but not sure which one...

The server runs fine (although i did have to kick up a fuss and send some strongly worded emails to be put on a decent backbone at first) but support is non existant as it is an unmanaged server so short of re-booting it for you dont expect any help.

its worked ok for me so far so i cant grumble but i still have my eye on the compaq server with the 10mb cogent line on rackshack.net :)
perhaps in the near future

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
RackShack is not one of my favorites, but if you want to know when their specials are offered - go to their chat room, best way to get any support to.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what companys do you reccomend dotcomster?

If i find anything better than my current host i would be interested in changing...

Cheers

Ciq

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
RackShack.com is my recommendation.
Read the features and price.

Welcome to Go Bananas Kayaks located in beautiful Honolulu, Hawaii! We are the leaders in warm water paddling, and, as the largest dealer in the state, carry more than 45 different models of kayaks. We also stock Yakima and Thule roof racks, as well as an impressive selection of kayaking and outrigger canoeing accessories.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RackShack is alright, but like DotComster mentioned, the support is so-so. I manage four servers with then now, and everything runs smooth for the most part. Uptime is excellent and good speed overall. If your server crashes, reboots are done within a few minutes usually.

Just a few technical problems on their end when I bought one of their servers, they assigned the same IP address to another customer. It took two weeks to get them to fix the prob finally.

The other three servers, no problems ever. So roll the dice and you'll probably come up ok.
:razz:

H

hyperi0n

Some questions....

Do all dedicated servers allow you to install your own software?
How do you manage these servers ie. do they have VPN software installed.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is the beauty of a dedicated server -- you can install whatever you want on it. Most dedi's come with a control panel such as CPanel, Ensim, or Plesk that are used to manage and setup sites on them.

You will have to learn a little unix management to start installing software (such as much needed firewalls)

RJ

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hyperi0n if you are looking at a win server instead most hosts will put on some remote desktop software such as pcanywhere to give you direct control of the machine...

CiQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators