Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Wanted: Service Looking for Wordpress Developer; want a State/City setup, with one blog/state

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I want to setup a series of wordpress blogs, all on one domain name, with one blog per state. There would be a page for each major city in those states. So for example the blog for Florida would be at Florida.Domain.com and the city pages would be at Florida.Domain.com/City/Tampa.html, Forida.Domain.com/City/Miami.html, and so on. So the number of pages would vary, by state, depending on how many cities there are in each state over a certain size. I am assuming there is some kind of plugin to help automate this. I could then blog on each state blog page. The city pages would have a certain format and ideally some original content, perhaps we can pull some content using a script.

Looking for someone who has done something like this already, please PM me with an estimate for this project and/or any questions you might have; please include your email address, phone and other contact informaiton,

Thanks,
Kevin

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The URL should be: Domain.com/STATE/CITY. Utilizing subdomains defeats the purpose of keeping them all on the same primary domain.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have an offshore Wordpress developer that does good work. PM me if you want their contact info.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The URL should be: Domain.com/STATE/CITY. Utilizing subdomains defeats the purpose of keeping them all on the same primary domain.

I am not sure what you mean. Can I have a different blog for each state, using Domain.com/State ? I thought it had to be a differrent URL like State.Domain.com. I want 50 different blogs for the 50 states.

Kevin

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean. Can I have a different blog for each state, using Domain.com/State ? I thought it had to be a differrent URL like State.Domain.com. I want 50 different blogs for the 50 states.

Kevin

Sub-domains are counted as separate domains. So if you have 50 sub-domains you will be splitting your page rank, link juice and other trust indicators 50 times. All you need to do is setup 50 primary categories (states), then create your sub-categories (cities) and modify your URL structure to domain/category/sub-category/post-title.

You can do either way - One is sub-folder and the one is sub-domain.
Sub-folder has less work than sub-domain.

I'd only use a sub-domain IF I had so much content that it was impossible to keep a 3-click structure.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did you ever look into the WordPress for multiple sites feature? This will do it, but everyone has to be configured separately and only has themes and plugins of the parent site available (I found that some plugins don't like this though).

clasione

DNForum.com Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't recommend wordpress for this type of site. I feel that even if you get wordpress to work that way, which is doesn't easily from what I have seen, it won't make for a quality city / state directory. I've seen this attempted a few times and there is always some wordpress restrictions you'll wind up encountering which will prevent functions and features you'll need to run something really tight.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't recommend wordpress for this type of site. I feel that even if you get wordpress to work that way, which is doesn't easily from what I have seen, it won't make for a quality city / state directory. I've seen this attempted a few times and there is always some wordpress restrictions you'll wind up encountering which will prevent functions and features you'll need to run something really tight.

You can do anything on Wordpress with a quality programmer.

clasione

DNForum.com Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can, but I still do not recommend it. The last time I did it I wound up with hundreds of thousands of 'posts' which served as business pages and hundreds of thousands of categories for the cities and states. The database hung some as well since it needed to scan through all of that and the search needed to be modified with a plugin to search through all the data in a different way. After a little playing around with it I could see that it could work but wasn't ideal. I think if you have a quality developer and you're willing to do all the mods and scripting to make it work well, why not just develop it yourself and be unrestricted? I also know someone with a real good looking one they have had up for a year or so and they don't like and they are looking to go custom. I guess it depends on a lot of different circumstances, but I've done both and much prefer custom although I am a big fan of wordpress for blogs, news, and general web sites.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can, but I still do not recommend it. The last time I did it I wound up with hundreds of thousands of 'posts' which served as business pages and hundreds of thousands of categories for the cities and states. The database hung some as well since it needed to scan through all of that and the search needed to be modified with a plugin to search through all the data in a different way. After a little playing around with it I could see that it could work but wasn't ideal. I think if you have a quality developer and you're willing to do all the mods and scripting to make it work well, why not just develop it yourself and be unrestricted? I also know someone with a real good looking one they have had up for a year or so and they don't like and they are looking to go custom. I guess it depends on a lot of different circumstances, but I've done both and much prefer custom although I am a big fan of wordpress for blogs, news, and general web sites.

Developing your own platform is fine. I've got a custom, lightweight content management system. It's awesome.

I'd also like to mention there are plenty of custom database and cache solutions that could easily handle xxx,xxx of pages.

There is more benefit in using Wordpress than a custom solution. Custom means no ready made plugins, no how-tos, no templates. Custom means constant updates and tweaks. Custom means expensive. Wordpress is free, has plenty of plugins and is easily understood by the average web developer. These small benefits add up to increase your websites value and decrease monthly expenses.

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would opt for a sub folder. Less confusion and less work. IMO!

joeny

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello

Something like this?

http://plumb411.com/

I just build that site for fun one day, Contact me, I am your man and will work with you,

Check my Verified status and feedback :)

I want to setup a series of wordpress blogs, all on one domain name, with one blog per state. There would be a page for each major city in those states. So for example the blog for Florida would be at Florida.Domain.com and the city pages would be at Florida.Domain.com/City/Tampa.html, Forida.Domain.com/City/Miami.html, and so on. So the number of pages would vary, by state, depending on how many cities there are in each state over a certain size. I am assuming there is some kind of plugin to help automate this. I could then blog on each state blog page. The city pages would have a certain format and ideally some original content, perhaps we can pull some content using a script.

Looking for someone who has done something like this already, please PM me with an estimate for this project and/or any questions you might have; please include your email address, phone and other contact informaiton,

Thanks,
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom