Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Lost Password for BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Remove little battery for 30 min, it worked for old PC,

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by stuff

Umm.. I'll try that Stuff..it's an older 400mhz I was using basically as a back up system..wont hurt any of my harddrive stuff..so I'll give it a try..

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner

Umm.. I'll try that Stuff..it's an older 400mhz I was using basically as a back up system..wont hurt any of my harddrive stuff..so I'll give it a try..

Yes, give it a try, I remember I lost my BIOS password for my first PC Pentium 150 or something like that, then one guy showed me that, but I really don`t remember if it worked.?

You most also remove the electricity cable and then battary

taz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes...it must work...

TAZ

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone know.. other than reformat..is there an easy hack into BIOS?

Reformatting actually won't reset the BIOS password. The only
way to do it, like the other guys said, is to take out the
battery.

Best of luck!
Luc L.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well, most motherboards have a either a little jumper that shorts and releases the saved info in bios - or a push spot that you hold down for 30 seconds to purge things.

It's actually suggested you do those things if they are avaiable on the motherboard isntead of removing the battery.

-WC-

PS: This only returns bios to factory default, I believe. Or maybe it's the last bios update you did. It's probably the latter, now that I think about it. It will do nothing to your hard drive.

DNS Kidd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Battery out will remove any bios password on the older boxes, they came with no default.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Really? The batteries typically only last 3 yearsish - so how do the old computers work if they lose their bioses when the battery dies?

Not trying to be a jerk, although the question does sound jerky. Take it as a guy trying to learn.

-WC-

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Really? The batteries typically only last 3 yearsish - so how do the old computers work if they lose their bioses when the battery dies?

The batteries last for 90+ years. Too bad computers become
obsolete after 1 month.

Luc L.

DNS Kidd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If your system lost its time, that would mean the battery was dead.

Early Compaq systems would not reboot if the battery gone, lost config information.

DrWho

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainRetriever

The batteries last for 90+ years. Too bad computers become
obsolete after 1 month.

Luc L.

More like 6-10 yrs

PC's are obsolete after 1 week ;)

DrWho

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by stuff

And be sure to unplug the powercable... :)

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. use clear CMOS jumper if available.
2. Remove battery. (be sure to put it back.) :D

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
or, download a bios hack for your version and insert it into the floppy. reboot. HAXX0r

Domainaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can not remember it now - but for the older systems there is a BIOS backdoor password. It worked up to 386 and 386 SX . Anyone here remember it?

Removeing the battery also works, and if you know the method you can also "short" BIOS with a wire, best to ask a hardware expert to do it.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
as you probably understand, it is different for every motherboard

sornman

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With most P1 and greater boards, you use the jumper method described above. It is usually labeled 'CMOS', with 3 pins. You simply unplug your computer, move the jumper from the 2 pins it is on so it includes the remaining pin, leave it for 5-10 secs, then move it back. Then restart your computer. If you can find a copy of the manual for that motherboard, it will explain it better.

As for your computer working without a battery, it will work fine in most cases, but each time you shut it off it will lose your CMOS settings and you will have to redo them (time, etc). Or at least that is how it used to be. Newer systems may even keep the settings even if your battery goes out, as long as you don't unplug the system.

Hehe, you can tell I am a hardware junkie. I have been building and tweaking computers since 1996 or so. That also helped me to get some work with HardOCP.com when they needed some programming done.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sornman
With most P1 and greater boards, you use the jumper method described above. It is usually labeled 'CMOS', with 3 pins. You simply unplug your computer, move the jumper from the 2 pins it is on so it includes the remaining pin, leave it for 5-10 secs, then move it back. Then restart your computer. If you can find a copy of the manual for that motherboard, it will explain it better.

As for your computer working without a battery, it will work fine in most cases, but each time you shut it off it will lose your CMOS settings and you will have to redo them (time, etc). Or at least that is how it used to be. Newer systems may even keep the settings even if your battery goes out, as long as you don't unplug the system.

Hehe, you can tell I am a hardware junkie. I have been building and tweaking computers since 1996 or so. That also helped me to get some work with HardOCP.com when they needed some programming done.

Just so everyone knows..I pulled the battery and it worked fine..

but sornaman, .com.net.org is also correct..as I was putting the battery back in I seen the cmos jumper... so either way..

I suspect the older 486 boards pulling the battery was the only way..?

Thansk everyone appreciate the help...

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner

Just so everyone knows..I pulled the battery and it worked fine..

but sornaman, .com.net.org is also correct..as I was putting the battery back in I seen the cmos jumper... so either way..

I suspect the older 486 boards pulling the battery was the only way..?

Thansk everyone appreciate the help...

NICE, save technical support fee. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom