Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

make logins easier

wilfra

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is directed primarily to the site admins, Adam etc. I know other users are going to say they don't have this problem. Please understand that people who use this site so much that they monitor this forum are not the target audience for this request. It's more passive users. Like me.

I am prompted to login basically every time I visit this site. Which is roughly 2-3 times per month. The #1 way I visit the site is via emailed links to subscribed threads or forums. But I also frequently type-in dnforum.com and visit. This is the only site that does that to me. NP keeps my session and I stay logged in. I frequent around 5 other vBulletin forums and they all keep my session and I am not prompted to login each time. Along with sites like Facebook, Twitter etc. None of them prompt me to login each time I visit the site.

It seems like DNF has some sensitive settings, possibly for security reasons? And for whatever reason you like people to have to verify their username and password a lot. It is my opinion that this is an annoying user experience and you should loosen those restrictions. Keep the session so we don't always have to login if we haven't been on the site that day or even that week.

UPDATE:

I logged in hours ago. Came back, session was not saved and had to re-enter my username and password.

For comparison, I also just went to Seekingalpha.com for the first time in probably a month. I did not have to login, my session was saved.

This is not a bank, you really don't need such harsh security settings...

Upvote 0

accelerator

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why not just visit the forum more often :)

When you login, is there a checkbox for "Remember Me" that you need to check? I ask because this forum is not regularly asking me to login, so I'm not having the same issues as you.

Domain summit 2024

wilfra

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see the box, yes. Sometimes I may not be checking it. However right now it is checked and I would bet every domain I own that I will be prompted to login again in the near future.

This time I was not prompted to login.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sessions are short-lived if you don't tick the checkbox. I sometimes forget too.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My logins recently have not been a problem and I don't get logged out if I check that box, but I now notice sometimes I log out properly and yet I am still logged in when I come back next time. Anybody else has this problem lately ?

Simon Byrne

Level 9
Reaction score
Hi Wilfra,

I should be able to set the session length to last longer, i will check this later today and get back to you.

Regards

Simon

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators