Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Making transfers away difficult, complex and expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stumbled across this from PowerPipe.com. It's amazing they can not only make it incredibly complex and difficult to transfer away but also charge $7.99 per name to do so.

Anyone who does business with a firm who has policies like this must be either a newbie or not know about their amazing transfer away policy? Is this even legal or allowed by ICANN?

Is there much danger others will also do this? Hope not! Note they will not even take credit cards for their transfer away fee. How do firms like this stay in business anyway? Any members at DNF have names at this firm?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Domain Services Request Form - This document must be notarized to be accepted by PowerPipe.com, Inc.

I hereby request that Web.VU, Inc., d.b.a PowerPipe.com, Inc. (PowerPipe.com) perform domain name administration services: namely, to modify my domain name account(s) and to prepare my domain name(s) for transfer to a different domain name registrar. I agree to pay to PowerPipe.com the applicable services fee related to these services. I have read and agree to abide by the terms of the Web.VU, Inc. Registration Agreement, which can be found on-line at: http://https1.com/powerpipe/agreement.htm

I have attached a legible, printed listing of the domain(s) to be transferred. I have spelled out each complete domain name and its extension (com,net,org,biz,info), one domain per line, and I have included the domain account password for each.

I understand and agree that the payment to PowerPipe.com to prepare domain name(s) for transfer to another registrar is US$7.99 per domain. I have enclosed the amount of US$_________________, payable by US Postal Money Order or Certified Bank Cashier’s Check, as remuneration for administrative services to prepare my domain name(s) for transfer to a different domain name registrar.

As proof of my identity, I have attached one (1) copy of my driver’s license, passport photo page, or similar type of official photo identification. My name is:

First Name: __________________________________________

Last Name: __________________________________________

Organization: _________________________________________

Signature: _____________________________Date:______________

NOTARY SEAL:

Mail the notarized Request Form, proof of photo identification, and payment to: PowerPipe.com, Inc., P.O. Box 1136, Round Rock, Texas 78681."

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bad news that they don't accept credit cards but they are by no means alone in this practice. Aitdomains charge $25 per domain and require the form completed - not only to transfer away but also to transfer ownership - come on , $25 to push a name?

My first thought was well at least it's making it more difficult to carry out domain highjacking, but it doesn't! - Aitdomains succeeded in losing 8 domains to a hijacker in a case that I was involved in.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's what happens with companies that make only pennies per domain profit. The get hundreds of thousands of names registered, and then slap you with a fee that you didn't see coming.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains That's what happens with companies that make only pennies per domain profit. The get hundreds of thousands of names registered, and then slap you with a fee that you didn't see coming.

Do u think this could also happen with NetSol and their free 1 yr renewal/transfer program, or places like Enom and GD?

Can you imagine the transfer away cost if one has a few thousand names at a place like that and wants to transfer away because the basic renewal fee is too much?

Is it something to worry about elsewhere or only at Powerpipe?

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

Do u think this could also happen with NetSol and their free 1 yr renewal/transfer program.

I would bet a bag of donuts on this one.

DomainOgre

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I have transferred from them before without paying or filling out anything. Must have recently started this.

I used them when I first got in the business but I use Enom and NameCheap mostly now because they are easier for reselling.

Any idea who to complain to about this?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainsNext.com is now charging $15 per name if you want to transfer any away from them. It's a new form of highway robbery. I will nevr do business again with any of these companies who have decided it is a good idea to rob their customers by holding their domains hostage.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainOgre
Is it legal if you never agreed to it in the first place??
Ogre, I think most registrar's TOS state that their terms are subject to change, and you have to accept it.

DomainOgre

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, they will not only lose my business but I will also have to write a nice little review about them when I develop DomainNameReview.com :-D

I will not accept being robbed. I will knock them over the head with my club, if I have to :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom