Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Minimum Commission at SEDO.com is $150

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i must have missed that previously but sedo confirmed today by email that the minimum commission on .info domains is $150. just a "heads up" for those interested.

ChrisMacleod

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not so good, also noticed that its $150 , £150 or 150Euros.

Do they force UK based sellers to trade in GBP?, i hope not.

co.uk domain minimum commission is not much better at $100, £100 or 150 Euros.

Sedo Price List

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.com/.net/.org/.info/.biz/.us/.name/.li/
.be/.dk/.de/.at/.ch 10% of the sales price
[ minimum 50€ / 50£ / 50$ ]

??????

mark

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i agree that the email i received is in conflict with their price list on the website. it clearly indicates a $50 minimum on .info demains, and no minimum if the domain is parked at sedo.com only a flat 10% rate of the sales price. clarification here by sedo would be appreciated.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At least you're asking ... many folks I'm sure will get burnt and be charged far more commission than expected.

Sedo is very sneaky - they still owe me $117 USD for featured listing service that was misrepresented ... not going to rehash that whole issue here again, but my point is read the fine print and ask publicly here before purchasing/using any Sedo service - better to be sure than being overcharged, etc; ripped off.

Ron

S

SedoCoUk

Hi everyone,

Hope you had a good weekend. Mark, a bit of clarification here. The only thing I can think of is that the person who sent you the email thought you were asking about .in domains! Because, as long as I've been here, I don't think we've ever charged $ 150 for .info! There is certainly nothing 'small print' about it:

Minimum commission for .info domains is $ 50 unless it's parked with Sedo when it's a flat 10% of the sales price.

The currency in all cases is set by the currency which negotiations are carried out in. So, if you're based in the UK and list all your names in US$, then you will pay commission in US$, not GBP.

As far as .co.uk is concerned, we would love to bring down the commission, but, as all of you who have transferred .co.uk names will know, it is not fun. A brief rundown: You agree a sale at Sedo. Nominet is informed. Nominet sends some forms by post to the seller. He fills out the forms and sends them to the buyer. The buyer fills out the forms and sends them to Nominet. Nominet effect ownership change. This can take weeks and weeks to carry out and is extremely time-consuming on all sides.
If you'd like to inject even more impetus into the .co.uk market and get these transfers moving, by all means get on Nominet's back to change the system! People Power is the only way it's going to be sped up!

Hope you all have a great week.

Ed

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
SedoCoUk said:
As far as .co.uk is concerned, we would love to bring down the commission, but, as all of you who have transferred .co.uk names will know, it is not fun. A brief rundown: You agree a sale at Sedo. Nominet is informed. Nominet sends some forms by post to the seller. He fills out the forms and sends them to the buyer. The buyer fills out the forms and sends them to Nominet. Nominet effect ownership change. This can take weeks and weeks to carry out and is extremely time-consuming on all sides.

I dont see where sedo has to do any extra leg work to justify the high commission... just like .ws sales, they cant be transfered out to another registrar, its an ez push at the current registrar to another account, I do these daily and most exchanges are completed within 10 min.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Obviously my concern is with the .ws min. commission which is also set @ $150

The buyer would have no choice but to open an account at the current registrar as transfering out to another registrar isnt possible with .ws names, thus allowing the name to be easily pushed like any old .com .net.... I dont see a reason why the min. commission would be so much greater.

S

SedoCoUk

Hi there, Tippy,

I'll get in touch with the head of the transfer team and see what we can do!

Ed

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thank you Ed, much appreciated :)

Mike

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SedoCoUk said:
Unfortunately you can't push .co.uk names, though!

Just a heads up for all you .co.uk owners and traders.. if your .co.uk is registered with 123Reg.co.uk you can push domains with ease into another 123Reg account.. these accounts are free of charge.. so no problem.

When you buy .co.uk domains, you should insure that the Company registrant name is set to the name of the domain name.. this way you can easily update the contact information of the new registrant.. without the need to pay the £30+ for legal ownership change.(as that only changes the company registrant name) you can update all other information via 123Regs direct API link to Nominet.. I have tried and tested this on over 200 domains, and never had a comeback.. and all records reflect that of the new owner.

I know this is not an Ideal situation, but if you are trading in domains it is the quickest and most effective way. Please note that this is my personal opinion and is in no way to be construed as absolute.

The .co.uk secondary market will not take off until the profiteers at the not for profit organisation nominet sort themselves out, or if enough people in the UK vote to open up the .co.uk market to competition. I have a petition for the eCommerce minister if anyone wants to sign it I will upload...

namestrandsâ„¢

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From a security point of view, setting the domain name itself as the owner of a .co.uk domain is a nightmare waiting to happen, because you have absolutely no recourse if something goes wrong or the domain name is stolen. Not to mention the fact that the buyer is similarly unprotected.

For instance, if a domain name widget.co.uk is registered with owner "widget.co.uk" then absolutely anyone can own it and there's nothing you can do to prove that it was taken from you in case of difficulty. If, however, it's owned by "Person A" and gets transferred to "Person B" then it's possible to show a clear ownership trail in the event of any problem.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess its a trade off, although I personally think that your paranoia is somewhat unfounded as I said, it is not an Ideal situation but one that works.

However if you were to read what I wrote, setting the company name to that of the domain name.. all your personal information would stay as your personal information, and when you forward to a.n. other.. then their information will be listed as the registered owner, only the registered company name would be that of the domain name itself..

As for security, well I am sure you have transferred domains yourself using nominet, and the amount of paper work that you have to go through makes it somewhat difficult.

And again it is my opinion and it works for me, if it doesnt work for you, then dont consider it.. be prepared, be forewarned.

mark

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SedoCoUk said:
Hi everyone,

Hope you had a good weekend. Mark, a bit of clarification here. The only thing I can think of is that the person who sent you the email thought you were asking about .in domains! Because, as long as I've been here, I don't think we've ever charged $ 150 for .info! There is certainly nothing 'small print' about it:

Minimum commission for .info domains is $ 50 unless it's parked with Sedo when it's a flat 10% of the sales price.

The currency in all cases is set by the currency which negotiations are carried out in. So, if you're based in the UK and list all your names in US$, then you will pay commission in US$, not GBP.

If you'd like to inject even more impetus into the .co.uk market and get these transfers moving, by all means get on Nominet's back to change the system! People Power is the only way it's going to be sped up!

Hope you all have a great week.

Ed
------------------------------------------

Ed: Thanks for the clarification regarding .info commissions. However, the email received clearly indicated .info domains and my inquiry was only .info related. I will forward it to you following this post for your review.

mark

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ed has confirmed that the email I received from SEDO regarding the .info commission minimum rate being $150 was an error, and as their website states the commission is $50 minimum or a flat 10% of the sales price if the domain is parked at SEDO.com. Thanks for straightening that matter out Ed. :-D

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
SedoCoUk said:
Hi there, Tippy,

I'll get in touch with the head of the transfer team and see what we can do!

Ed

Hi Ed,

Any update on the min. .ws sales commission?

Thanks,

Mike

ImUnlisted.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Edwin said:
From a security point of view, setting the domain name itself as the owner of a .co.uk domain is a nightmare waiting to happen, because you have absolutely no recourse if something goes wrong or the domain name is stolen. Not to mention the fact that the buyer is similarly unprotected.
1800flowers.com is registered to "1800flowers.com." What is the security risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom