Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Missed domain horror stories wanted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope this is the right forum. May be more of a "lounge" topic, but it does pertain to domain registration:

I am looking for anyone's sad tales of the "one that got away". Did you have the perfect brand / domain name, find that it was available for registration, but put off registering it for one reason or another (money? second thoughts? cold feet? no internet access?) only to find that someone else beat you to it? I'm not talking about missed drops, but true available domain names that you just simply snoozed and loozed (or is it snost and lost?).

This has happened to me three times. Once I was inches away from purchasing the .net domains for two different .com branded sites I owned, but decided to "sleep on it". Less than a week later, both .net domains were gone. Now the sites at those addresses cause me continually heartache. I should have gone with my gut! :[

The other time I was to register a domain for a client, but decided to reneg halfway through the registration process because I didn't have his accurate WHOIS info. When I checked back the very next day, the domain was gone! Fortunately, I had not told the client the domain was available the day before, so he never knew how close he was to getting his requested domain. :-#

Anyone else have similar stories?

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start my site (Now 123-FreeStuff.com).

As you can tell by the above domain, I knew nothing about domains : (

I did however know, domains "delete" (didnt know about the process).

I knew of DeletedDomains.com

SO I searched and found 123Free.com had just "expired" (dropped).

I contemplated on regging it, and then a few days later decided it was time.

Between those few days I checked about twice a day to make sure it was still avail.

Then when i went to reg it, it was gone! : (

I htought any name that dropped was valuable (LOL) becasue someone else once regged it :-D

So I saw 123-FreeStuff.com on Deleted Doamins, and "jumped" for it before anyone else regged it.

I am sorry to this day that I didnt get 123Free.com (MUCH more memorable).

But now I am stuck with a huge URL that has a hyphen to a real site : (

**Sob Sob Sobz**

ComScout.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MessagePals.com I regret not getting

lilian

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a non-profit site for a long time.
At that time I didn't think about getting a domain.
When I came up with the idea of getting the domain, I found .com&.net was just registered by someone a month before, and they don't have a site even now.

Shall I register the .org.?
I just don't like the idea of confusion people with my site and other's.
Or wait 2 years to see maybe they'll give up?

BTW It's a good name for my site, but no much commerical value.

ComScout.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
quote:
Shall I register the .org.?
I just don't like the idea of confusion people with my site and other's.
Or wait 2 years to see maybe they'll give up?

Hi,
I would reccomend that you definately get the .org, you need the .org for your non profit site, and also you will not confuse people with your site and others.
But I would highly reccomend that you write an email to the people with the .com's and .net you required for your site and just ask for a price, any probs, just ask me, I can write to them for you.
Goodluck!

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This happened to me just 2 days ago.

A seller posted a list of names, with the notation "post sold to claim". I posted "sold" with a list of 3 names I wanted. I visited another forum later in the day, saw the same list from the same guy, and saw that someone else posted "sold" on the same name 45 minutes after my post on the 1st forum.

Later in the day the seller PM'ed me that the name in question was sold, but I could have the 2 other names listed. I pointed out that I had claimed the name 45 minutes before the other person. His reply was that he would consider ALL of the sales cancelled if I wanted to complain.

marzzo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
This happened to me just 2 days ago.

A seller posted a list of names, with the notation "post sold to claim". I posted "sold" with a list of 3 names I wanted. I visited another forum later in the day, saw the same list from the same guy, and saw that someone else posted "sold" on the same name 45 minutes after my post on the 1st forum.

Later in the day the seller PM'ed me that the name in question was sold, but I could have the 2 other names listed. I pointed out that I had claimed the name 45 minutes before the other person. His reply was that he would consider ALL of the sales cancelled if I wanted to complain.

Ouch :angry:

lilian

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ComScout.com said:
quote:
Hi,
I would reccomend that you definately get the .org, you need the .org for your non profit site, and also you will not confuse people with your site and others.
But I would highly reccomend that you write an email to the people with the .com's and .net you required for your site and just ask for a price, any probs, just ask me, I can write to them for you.
Goodluck!

Thank. How about think another name Vs stick to the old name?

slumbum

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I tried grabbing several Chinese and 1 Spanish IDN domains through Idotz.net. I registered the domains, then 48 hours later I was alerted that they were "unable to acquire the domains".

They were very good, generic domains. Like bikes.com, technology.com (but in chinese characters or with Spanish aumlet) So I checked the whois record, and later that same day, they were all registered to the same 2 individuals.

Not a chance occurance. I hope they never have a day's happiness with these domains.

scottatmu

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was using a program by DNF member gariben, DNSnap, and it was within the first few days of using it. I didn't have my enom reseller account setup with the right IP address ...

so the program went thru my list and there is was ... BUSHSUCKS.NET ... it was available, tried to register it, but it wouldn't let it go thru because the IP address that corresponded to my account wasn't the one I setup using eNom ...

Anyways ... i didn't get the name ... Buydomains got it ... is selling it for $888 right now... oh well!

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I saw a domain available when I got a phone call which went on for 20 minutes. Then it was gone !!!

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I liked it, an entertainment site marketed in the right way would gain a lot of interest with that domain :)

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm with you rawk. The worst regret, sometimes, is not for the high-appraisal name, but for the one with personal value. For me, this was mynemo.com, which I regged back in, like, 98, then let expire due to the costs of renewal. I lamented it's loss for two or three years, until the owner didn't renew and regged it back up again (didn't even have to snap it -- no one regged it when it dropped for several months). I still haven't done anything with it, but always thought it would make a great search engine. ("eeney-meeny-my-nemo").

Also, it's interesting, I bought in4it.com a couple months ago for a similar reason -- no inherent value, but I had an idea for its use.

T

tekz999

I wanted to register a 4 letter .com, I went to take a leak, come back, and its gone!! I almost pull all of my hair out!!

buy.name

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To my regret,I found "great.name" available last three months but I passed it at that time....

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the early nineties - when domains had just started costing $50/yr (instead of being free) - I was in high school and a bunch of friends and I set up a website for our school and town. I thought it would be great to expand this concept and register domains for all the most populous cities and wealthy towns in the country and world. Alas, $50 was hard to come by, let alone the $5k it would have taken to get just 100 good names. Now 10+ years later, even the weakest geographic domains are going for a ton of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom