Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.mobi open today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Days 2024

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
worth seeing if there are a few good ones still available.
hundreds of millions of mobile devices in the world being used everyday.
could be a waste of time, but what if .mobi catches on?

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hundreds of millions of mobile devices in the world being used everyday.

Actually a couple billion! Great for their marketing ploy.. I wonder if they tried that tactic with the .name... there are over 6 billion people on the planet that have names! In all seriousness I doubt much will come of it, but still backordered a few through pool just in case. All similar new TLDs have proven themselves jokes in the past.. the only thing that gives this somewhat of a chance are the huge wireless companies backing it.. for instance if a .mobi button becomes commonplace on every phone they make or something.. will be interesting to see.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your time with .mobi :)

The problem is that the major phone companies are backing .mobi. What if every mobile device turns up with a .mobi button ??

Better to get a few to be safe imo.

Talkhost

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
.mobi is backed by microsoft, google etc.. basically all the big players... including most telecom companies.... but I still think it is a waste of time....

The thinking behind the .mobi is to make the web accessible on your portable device... it's already accessible with any other extension you care to use e.g .com .net etc... why the need for .mobi??

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was just bout to put an order for a dozen or so... then I thought to myslef "it's .mobi".... so instead I'm going to backorder some .coms on pool and snapnames and call it a day. Good luck to all!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All similar new TLDs have proven themselves jokes in the past.. the only thing that gives this somewhat of a chance are the huge wireless companies backing it.. for instance if a .mobi button becomes commonplace on every phone they make or something.. will be interesting to see.
'mobi' button to add .mobi as DEFAULT ext after a keyword for example may look like a sensible idea but it still does not rule out .com. Other exts must remain accessible.

It is true that the mobile industry has the leverage to force the change on the manufacturers. However a mere button is not all it takes to change the behavior of customers.
One of the reasons for the failure of WAP in the past was: simply lack of content and services dedicated to mobiles. Little has changed in the meantime.
Of course more than 1 billion people have a mobile phone today but only a minority of them have subscriptions plans allowing mobile Internet access like GPRS (except particular markets like Japan). So I think all the hype about better mobile Internet access is somewhat inflated. A TLD is not going to change that.

McDot

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey,

beautiful answers, but the thread question was:

did the mobis get registered today???

I heard something like it has been postponed to October 11 ???

Anybody have more information?

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i am still registering "decent" names right now at godaddy.. 80-90% of the time directly relating to cell phones and the people that use them and the things they are used for.. not no getcellularphoneshere.mobi

decent ones are still available.. use your imagination, smoke some pot.. listen to some music.. dont get caught up regging nonsense ones.. theyre $60ea two year min.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
EmailAddress.mobi would have surely been backordered by someone, somewhere.. is it possible some caught too many and threw some back because of the expense?

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i dunno, but the whois info is current and thats my name.. i got that one an hour ago, checkout the time..

still waiting to hear which ones resellerclub got for me on preorder..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom