Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.mobi parking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SedoCoUk

Hey Audubon,

We will support parking of .mobi domains with in the next few weeks, once these domains are available to the general public. :regular_smile:

We are unsure as to whether or not we can support the sales of these domains, and our transfer team will be looking into this as well.

Sara

audubon

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The domains are available to the general public as of yesterday. A suggestion: in the domain optimizer, add another page layout: "XHTML-MP" (.mobi-compliant). I don't expect a huge number of hits on these domains in the near future, but the .mobi registry is supposed to shut down all domains that are not in compliance, until they are brought up to spec.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have done some research with my domains, my PC and my Verizon V-Cast Cell Phone.

Sedo's "lite" and "Classic" pages both work pretty well on my cell as they are.

The biggest difference between the two is whether or not you want the click ads to appear FIRST of the Catagories to appear first.

Here's something else that I've notices...

CTR is and will be WAY UP on Mobi sites. There isn't any other way to use them! So far, my GoPC.mobi site, parked with Sedo on their LITE page, has taken hits with a 40% CTR. I'm sure that's because people are still just exploring but once these domains are fully understood and used by the general public, I predict some GREAT PPC revenues.

Oddly, my Sedo Pro account also tells me that much of my traffic is coming from Europe. Which would be fine if I was FROM the EU, which I'm not. So how is it that my domain has been up for just about 24 hours and I've got nearly 50 hits and 40% traffic?

Curiosity? Checking to see if they are taken? I don't know, but I like it. :)

A few of my other domains are taking hits as well. Most of them have at least a few clicks. LiveUpdates.mobi is set for the catagories to show first and then on to the content. I've got it set up to show things like News, Weather, Traffic, Sports, Movies, Ringtones, Phone Downloads, etc.

These Sedo parking pages show VERY well on my phone and I think with some minor formatting tweaks, these pages... as they are... will work out nicely.

Congrats, Sedo, for being prepared... even if you didn't know you were ;)

Check out these sites and you'll see what I mean... Some are "lite" and some are "classic" but they all work.

GoPC.mobi
CellService.mobi
MobiDesigns.mobi
LiveUpdates.mobi
GolfPro.mobi
(more upon request... LOL! )

I'm totally JAZZED about this opportunity. Every minute I think of more ways this ext will be successful and I'm excited to be a part of it!

GoPC

audubon

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming the .mobi registry will use an automated validator such as can be found here:

http://validator.w3.org

(though it's not clear whether that particular validator will work with XHTML-MP documents; both mtld.mobi and weather.mobi, e.g., fail to validate, with a few errors reported in each case).

FWIW, the Sedo "Lite" layout fails with 401 errors, and the "Classic" layout fails with 343 errors.

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am 100% sure .mobi will be a success, with the companies that are sponsoring it, I feel it is a sure bet.

There are still lots of great names out there, I just got TVGuides.mobi

I notice that your gopc.mobi sedo parking page would upset users who dont have a data plan, as the add I looked at was over 300kb, which would cost the user $3 here just to look at! (pity we couldnt get a % of the data charge!)

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I still reckon mobile.sedo.com or mobile.cnn.com will be the way forward.. unless companies spend massive amounts on brand identity for mobi sites, which in the past they havent..

But hey this industry is a minefield and who knows whats next.. but my money is on InternetTV... BroadBand Video on Demand.. and not parked MOBI sites..

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
but my money is on InternetTV... BroadBand Video on Demand.. and not parked MOBI sites..

Which reminds me, I've been trying to sell ATTBroadband.TV

Know anyone that might be interested, Mr. Broker sir?

Also, NetPC.TV & GetPC.TV

GoPC

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The point is that if you enter mobile.sedo.com is that it may not exist and therefore work on your phone. I agree that brand owners will want to have mobile.sedo + wap.sedo + mobi.sedo and any other varient working to promote there existing brand, but to get new users surfing to your site having a .mobi will be important.

.Mobi users just to surf and find what they are after by just entering it as a .mobi name into their phone as if it exists they know it will work on the phone and not cost them an exorbitant amount in data charges.

So the key domains will be generic terms that people are likely to just enter looking for info/services or whatever.
:fencing:

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But will the advertisers pay top PPC for such a Niche Market.. when they would more likely want to send buyers to a proper website where they can get some good ecommerce sales going..

The big players in Ecommerce already have established sites.. like Ebay, Amazon etc. Believe it or not the .com, .de .co.uk is the brand and always will be..

all sedo PPC links will have to go to mobile compliant sites... how long do you think it would take for the sort of numbers needed to run a vast broad range of mobile compliant advertisers that will spend money on PPC advertising to make it worthwhile?

Take the big earners.. Finance, Travel and Gambling.. would you apply for a credit card or loan on a Mobile? Would you Buy a Holiday on a Mobile? gambling hmmm that might just work..

I would think that most people would use mobile web as I do, I look for information or emails on the move, and bookmark for viewing later on my Work or Home PC.

I would not like to say Pie in the Sky, but I dont think the aftermarket will take off for at least 2-3 years if at all.

Its a big risk for SEDO and a whole lot of development and extra processing for little return.

I guess time will tell, but I am not rushing out to buy any, even my own trademarks. I salute those who do take this plunge as its a bold move knowing that a simple dropped name would be worth 100 of .mobi's in terms of resale and PPC revenue.

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google have recently launched AdSense for mobile.

I agree that .com, .de, .co.uk will always be dominamt, but you have to keep in mind that in developing markets this will be their only choice for internet access, and when there is a soft key put on the phones (which is likely to happen given that Nokia and Motorola etc are behind it) it will negate the difficulty of entering .mobi, it by default will be the internet on a mobile device.

I seriously suggest it is worth investing a few dollars in getting some .mobis in your specialty areas before it is too late.

You WILL kick yourself in a few years for missing this one.

:juggle:

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL :D

Why do you think I'm trying to dump it?

GoPC

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google have recently launched AdSense for mobile.

I agree that .com, .de, .co.uk will always be dominamt, but you have to keep in mind that in developing markets this will be their only choice for internet access, and when there is a soft key put on the phones (which is likely to happen given that Nokia and Motorola etc are behind it) it will negate the difficulty of entering .mobi, it by default will be the internet on a mobile device.

correction : Motorola is not listed as an investor

http://demo.mtld.mobi/

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry meant Ericsson, but look at the standard of these companies,
if the carriers want it the user is likely to have it put in their face!

'3'
Cityguide
Ericsson
Google
GSM World
Nokia
Syniverse Technologies
T-Mobile
Telefonica (Movistar)
TIM
Vodafone

That is a list of heavy hitters from the mobile scene!

Also would like an update from Sedo re offering .mobi for sale, as I have already listed a couple there!

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A word about SoftKeys... I think this may be the "thing" they are working towards. I read this afternoon in SmartPhone & Pocket PC Magazine about "ready Keys" intended for "instant" email and "instant" internet and how they can be programmed to take the viewer to a specific place (domain) or search/entry portal.

From there, they simply need to put in a default "box" that looks like: www.__________.mobi

The visitor types in the domain and doesn't bother with ext or perhaps the ext is a pull-down type or changable but defaults with mobi.

Present the public with mobi as the default for Portables and you go a long way in setting the perception that mobi is the only way to go.

Hmmm.... what ARE their plans? It's kinda fun trying to figure it out.

GoPC

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GoPC:

Did you park .mobi domains at sedo already?

Do they get traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom