Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Monetization by leasing Premium Sub Domain Ex: Seattle.RealEstate.com - Feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanDiegoTodd

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone - As a monetization strategy - does anyone have experience creating sub domains with their premium domains and licensing them to end users for an annual or multi year fee?

(Example: Subdomain.PremiumDomain.com / Seattle.RealEstate.com / Portland.RealEstate.com / LosAngeles.RealEstate.com / etc. )
I would think this is an ideal opportunity to create multiple products from one domain, create highly targeted premium names for end users and create a strong residual income. What am I missing?

If it's such a great idea why aren't more domainers doing it? I've seen LeftOfTheDot.com - and they have a great concept, but why aren't more domainers pursuing this model?

I'd appreciate any feedback or insight you have.

Thanks!

--Todd

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't think it will work in real estate in particular (maybe in other categories it could) because Realtor's are normally a hard sell and very cheap and buy few services plus they already have websites - typically 3 or 4 sites, or more, a. their own agent site. b. their brokerage firms site. c. their listings on realtor.com - free or premium service. d. many other large real estate sites where Realtors can have their own page, sometimes free.

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, if one of the subdomains gets a Google penalty wouldn't that hurt the entire domain and other subdomains on it? Or if a subdomain had content that got the domain delisted on Google, etc...

Also, why would people want to build a property on someone else's domain? I wouldn't. Why build a mansion on rented land. Then you are forced to keep paying the land rent (which could go significantly up in the future) in order to keep your mansion.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The domain leasing concept has virtually no market, because nobody wants to develop and enhance a domain that they do not own.

Domain leasing is only good for time limited campaigns when the domain is ultra-premium and preferably with traffic.
It's a very small niche.

Realistically, you won't get many end users to sign up so the domain will always be underutilized.
It will be a waste of a premium domain and as long as you have 'tenants' your hands are tied and you can't resell the domain or put it to a better use.

SanDiegoTodd

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks David.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Thanks Barry.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Thanks Katherine.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it could work but it has to be a very premium domain, like how Chicago.com is able to sell email addresses. There is a good example of people promoting a domain (in their email) that they don't own and are willing to pay for it. Millions of people do it by using hotmail, gmail, yahoo or their internet provider company in their email, but it helps that its free.

Facebook.com and Twitter.com are getting huge promotion from companies directing people to their company pages on those sites. These aren't subdomains but it's the same idea, promoting someone else's domain.

I think if you could sell the subdomain and also do the website building, or provide an easy site builder for them to do it, subdomains like plumber.chicago.com or tickets.chicago.com could be sold. If it gives someone an ego boost or credibility they might do it. Or, give free subdomains but put your own ads on the site. Again, it has to be a very premium domain with wide recognition.

Last edited:

ryanmlanane

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agreed - I think if you can sell geo e-mail addresses you could sell geo sub domains.

normal sub domains, not so much ...

My only worry about leasing a domain outright is I have heard legally they can then sue you and win the domain having paid just lease fees for XX months. I heard either 6 or 9 months and they could claim right. Am I wrong ? Are their leases that get around this issue - because I have had 2-3 situations where leasing a domain would have worked, and now the domain sits on the shelf when it could of been bringing residuals.

I think it could work but it has to be a very premium domain, like how Chicago.com is able to sell email addresses. There is a good example of people promoting a domain (in their email) that they don't own and are willing to pay for it. Millions of people do it by using hotmail, gmail, yahoo or their internet provider company in their email, but it helps that its free.

Facebook.com and Twitter.com are getting huge promotion from companies directing people to their company pages on those sites. These aren't subdomains but it's the same idea, promoting someone else's domain.

I think if you could sell the subdomain and also do the website building, or provide an easy site builder for them to do it, subdomains like plumber.chicago.com or tickets.chicago.com could be sold. If it gives someone an ego boost or credibility they might do it. Or, give free subdomains but put your own ads on the site. Again, it has to be a very premium domain with wide recognition.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think many people thought of it years ago, and a few may have tried it without success.

The weakeness is that it's easier for someone to buy and a customer/client to remember "JohnDoeRealEstate.com" than to remember "JohnDoe(DOT)realestate.com"

in addition to other problems mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom