Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

moniker Moniker is pissing me off

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have 13 expired domains in my Moniker account and auto renew is on an I've got plenty of money in my account.

Very aggravating.

Check your accounts...

Domain Days 2024

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't trust auto-renew for domains (I use Tucows, though). All my domains are renewed at least a year in advance (none expire in 2006).

Given the incentive of some registrars (e.g. NSI) to want to auction off expired names, even going so far as to amend their Terms of Service in ridiculous manners, e.g.

http://www.networksolutions.com/legal/static-service-agreement.jsp

"You agree that we may, but are not obligated to, allow you to renew your domain name after its expiration date has passed." [Schedule A.14]

I'd be very careful these days. We are living in dangerous times.

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Talked to Monte, they are implementing a fix for this.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can't wait. Didn't know it was "a bug" that needed to be fixed.

Also, does anyone notice of any lag with the system if you display 50 or 100 domains per page? I used to do 200 per page without any issues, but it seems there is a lag whenever I try anything higher than the default.

I don't have this issue on any other sites.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah on the big list of premium names we have i generally renews in 5000 domain lots a year or so in advance.

On my so so list.. i dont do it that far in advance as sone i may not want them in 12 months haha

Reaction score
Don't worry folks - your names will not be deleted. We rewrote our auto-renew script to accomidate all the country code and new .mobi and .eu names since they follow different protocals. Fix will be implemented by weeks end. We will then catch all expired names on the next auto-renew run.

seeker65

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have 13 expired domains in my Moniker account and auto renew is on

Only idiots let valueable names expire - pros renew at least a month in advance - get out of this business while you still can - I'll guess you don't have the funds to be a playa

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Only idiots let valueable names expire - pros renew at least a month in advance - get out of this business while you still can - I'll guess you don't have the funds to be a playa

instead of attacking exclusive and respected members left and right why don't you go do something more productive w/your time? the only newbie here is you...

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:-D

I'd take an educated guess that nitro makes more money in a week than you make in a year, kid. He has domains that you'll only ever dream about owning.

And you just resurrected a 3 month old thread.. :rolleyes:

slumbum

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm furious with Moniker because I never auto-renew. Several months ago, after seeing and "auto renew go through" I could have sworn I turned off the feature, as I NEVER use it. Recently I was hit with a big bill. I looked at my bank statement, and I discovered I was charged a month ago as well. I thought this was strange, because I never use the feature with any of my other registrars. Since I had no funds on my "default card" they cycled through my credit cards, and charged the card that I had used prior. (All before expiration dates)....I was furious, because I was broke there too, but had overdraft protection on that account. Meaning...my bank honored it.

If Moniker is going to charge credit cards, they should tell us BEFORE they charge, not after, especially if our "default credit card" is going to be used.

Long story short. I only renew a small, small percent of my domains. One of their "customer service" reps hung up on me...and sales agents haven't returned my trouble tickets. I do business with Moniker on an almost daily basis. Once, I even went out of my way to informed them of a system bug that would allow people to register domains for free. I never expected to be treated so poorly by them. I guess in these economic times, the only thing that matters is money, and how much one can get from your customers.

If this matter isn't resolved to my satisfaction, I'll be leaving Moniker and giving my business to a registrar who appreciates it.

Account #35073

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker as well as all the registrars I know, automatically put your domains in auto-renew, which got me ticked as well. You have to simply do a change all domains and turn off the feature.

Always good to double check.

I once had a domain or two with Yahoo (major mistake). They auto-renewed one year, but I couldn't find any place to stop it. Thenext year I e-mailed them numerous times to no avail, and eventually cancelled the charge. They didn't even bother responding to the credit card company.

Reaction score
Folks,

First of all, over 90 percent of customers use auto renew for ALL their domains so the default when you register them is having auto renew on...however, you can select not to have them on auto renew at registration and at any time after. Also, at 75 days from expiration, we send out expiration notices that indicate what names are expiring and what names are on auto renewal with links for anyone to log in and change those settings. There are 14 reminders of the same until the domain expires.

Moniker does not go in and change auto renewal settings ever....and you as customers can log in at any time and turn auto renew on or off, renew any domains you want to keep at any time, etc.

Unlike domain registrations that have a grace period for 5 days, there are no refunds for renewals as the registry does not have a grace period for domains that renew....whether you want them to renew or not. This is not a Moniker or any other Registrar policy...its the registry policy.

if anyone is having problems or issues changing their auto renew settings at all, please log into your support center and open a ticket and it will be responded to quickly.

Slumbum - if you will send in more information about what names you set to not auto renew and the details behind this, I will have our support manager take a look.

Thanks

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This thread is from January 2006. :)

That's ok what with Monte posting today.

I am quite disturbed Moniker recently renewed an utterly worthless .ws name which was reg'd in error 2 yrs ago when Moniker had the reg automatically checked off at the bottom of screen out of sight :eek: at time I reg'd the .com which was also my bad in not spotting it on the shopping cart.

It was renewed by them on my CC exactly 90-days before exp date :veryangry: which I certainly was not expecting them to do on the grounds (from supt dept) the .ws registry requires 90 day early renewals, which I was unable to verify and find hard to believe. Anyone know if that is accurate?

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Old as this thread is, My domains auto-renew 14 days before they expire.
Never had a missed renewal.

Only trouble I have had lately was transferring IN domain names from previous Snapname auctions with their renewal coming, but within 48 hrs of support ticket submission the problem was fixed.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i submitted a ticket and got the autorenew feature turned off for all my domains for this reason.

one question i have though is once domains expire and are in your 'domains expired' section........... how long do you get to renew them?

i mean normally i dont leave this late but you cant delete the ones that are expired you dont want and sometimes is irritating for management purposes they dont just disappear. having said that good moniker dont instantly charge you if you want to renew like godaddy a day over.

so , anyone know? is it a week? 30 days? cheers

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
trader: It was renewed by them on my CC exactly 90-days before exp date which I certainly was not expecting them to do on the grounds (from supt dept) the .ws registry requires 90 day early renewals, which I was unable to verify and find hard to believe. Anyone know if that is accurate?

PREDATOR: one question i have though is once domains expire and are in your 'domains expired' section........... how long do you get to renew them?

anyone know? is it a week? 30 days? cheers

Both good questions and would like to know too.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Both good questions and would like to know too.

i sent a support ticket regarding the expired domain question.
no use waiting on the 'reps' to answer this

another question i have though is when u fill in your domain contact info in your account i notice only the first name shows up in the whois.
its not showing the surname. maybe a glitch of theirs?
either way could it leave you falling foul of having correct info in your whois re icann regs and mean u could lose names???

i have a company name in the whois too so could it be that there is not enough room for everything to be displayed? if so i will have to put first and surname in the whois contacts in the FIRST line

Rebel.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Predator this shouldn't cause you to lose any names. If a whois complaint is made the complaint is forwarded to your registrar and I would hope moniker would contact you about the issue before taking any action on your names. At that time you could point out their system flaw. Domains that get deleted for whois voilations are deleted by the registrar not ICANN or the registry so you should be ok.

i sent a support ticket regarding the expired domain question.
no use waiting on the 'reps' to answer this

another question i have though is when u fill in your domain contact info in your account i notice only the first name shows up in the whois.
its not showing the surname. maybe a glitch of theirs?
either way could it leave you falling foul of having correct info in your whois re icann regs and mean u could lose names???

i have a company name in the whois too so could it be that there is not enough room for everything to be displayed? if so i will have to put first and surname in the whois contacts in the FIRST line

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It was renewed by them on my CC exactly 90-days before exp date :veryangry: which I certainly was not expecting them to do on the grounds (from supt dept) the .ws registry requires 90 day early renewals, which I was unable to verify and find hard to believe. Anyone know if that is accurate?

As of this post I can't find that in SamoaNIC.ws (unless I'm not looking at the
right place). But country codes can have their own rules, some of which have
required renewals be made nth days before expiry like .uk and .de.

how long do you get to renew them?

http://www.moniker.com/help/delete-autorenew-policy.jsp

We currently endeavor to provide a grace period that extends 35 days past the expiration date, to allow the renewal of domain name registration services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom