Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Most secure registrar? Also looking for best places to get .de domains and other TLDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdmedia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What do you consider the most secure registrar and why? I've noticed a lot of domain hijackings the last few weeks (a lot of 'em adult domains) and I would like to know which registrar is best wen it comes to security. So this means 24/7 support, action taken upon hijacking etc.

Also please refer me to some sites where I can register .de and other country TLD's easily.

Thanks in advance!
/rob

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
rdmedia said:
What do you consider the most secure registrar and why? I've noticed a lot of domain hijackings the last few weeks (a lot of 'em adult domains) and I would like to know which registrar is best wen it comes to security. So this means 24/7 support, action taken upon hijacking etc.

Moniker.com :approve:

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
rdmedia said:
Hi,

Also please refer me to some sites where I can register .de and other country TLD's easily.

Thanks in advance!
/rob

GoDaddy is quite ok and every Wild West Domains Reseller site too. You can register .au .nz .at .be etc. or even .de without being a German citizen.

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As far as secure GoDaddy (includes WWD Resellers) are some of the worst. If your name gets hijacked you can almost kiss it good bye.

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
eSology said:
As far as secure GoDaddy (includes WWD Resellers) are some of the worst. If your name gets hijacked you can almost kiss it good bye.

I haven't had any negative experience so far, have you?

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Below is an actual response from GD when a domain was stolen because an ISP screwed up and sent a lost email password to a crook. The ISP admitted wrong doing and GoDaddy did nothing. They have a self imposed 60 day rule that prevents a domain from being transferred out of GD after an internal push yet they do nothing but tell you to submit a UDRP.

In the case of the domain below it was stolen twice! Neither time did GoDaddy help in fact they hindered the situation. I have spoken to Nick Fuller and he states they are looking into their policy since GD failed miserably in this case.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, there is no other receipt we can send you. You will need to find other means to handle this issue.

Per the UDRP, the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy, https://registrar.godaddy.com/dispute_policy.asp, registrars cannot make any changes to a domain name without direction from a court or arbitration forum.

If you are unable to come to a satisfactory agreement with the registrant, you may wish to proceed through a court or arbitration forum, such as WIPO (The World Intellectual Property Organization, [email protected]). Once we receive notice of a pending dispute from a court or arbitration forum, we will lock the domain name so it cannot be transferred or otherwise modified. Likewise, when we receive a decision from the legal body, we will update the domain name accordingly.

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The ISP admitted wrong doing and GoDaddy did nothing

I am not a lawyer but it is very close to the common sense that the ISP should deal with the consequences and not GoDaddy. GoDaddy can put the name on hold only if there is a decision from the court. The former registrant should bring that ISP to the court I suppose.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Godaddy also pulls DNS for spam accusations.
Mark Joyner had some serious downtime a little over a year ago on a product launch - the website was in the alexa top 1000 or so when they did that to him.
They are not the most secure!

rdmedia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've heard Moniker, Fabulous and DirectNIC are among the best in regards to safety and support.

I know for a fact that GoDaddy sucks donkey balls, a friend of mine lost a valuable domain thanks to them, I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole :p

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, I m sure you can remind me of some other security related cases with GD but it is not only a question of how many cases as an absolute value? It is rather a question of percentage or ratio! You have to keep in mind that a registrar which has several millions of registered names and, say 20 security related cases last year is much more secure than a registrar which has several hundreds thousand registered names and "only" 10 security related cases last year. Do we have some stats of that kind somewhere?

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You cant base it on that - the higher security registrars have more valuable names than your run of the mill registrar, and are therefore more of a target to theives. So, with less names, they could still have more attempts at getting their names stolen.
You want data? Moniker has had 0 occurences...zero. 'nuff said.
You could throw your percentage ratio out the window. You'd be comparing cherry domains with grapefruits.

Also, to clarify my post above, the instance at GoDaddy I mentioned regarding Mark Joyner's site - he was certainly not spamming. The emails that were the concern were people sending their lists their affiliate link to join the product launch.
If you run a mission critical website, do not leave the name registered at GoDaddy.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ForumDomains said:
Do we have some stats of that kind somewhere?

Interesting question about the stats. Many of us would love to find out.

But the point is, Go Daddy could've given other options other than telling the
customer to try to get the name via UDRP or the Court. Granted it's not easy
since a gazillion and one things can occur (i.e. legitimate sale), but one thing
they could've done was give the "former" registrant the chance to prove
his/her case to them before taking action.

Search the threads under Legal, specifically vy.com (actually it's better told
about in namepr**). The thread starter reported that NSI is actually helping
the person out, though lately it's still not resolved.

But lest we go on talking about GD and the like, let's not forget to answer
what the thread was supposed to be about: who is considered the most
secure domain registrar and where rdmedia can register ccTLDs. :-D

rdmedia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the constructive replies guys, good to meet such helpful people!

I've found eurodns.com to have a lot of ccTLD's, can anyone tell me if they're trustworthy?

As said before I think I will stick to Moniker and DirectNIC for my other domainnames :)

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
rdmedia said:
I've found eurodns.com to have a lot of ccTLD's, can anyone tell me if they're trustworthy?

The owner was at TRAFFIC 04', he's a nice guy & cares very much about his business. Cant think of his name off the top of my head.
I'd say there trustworthy, just about all the attendees were.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
moniker is the best for this.
all others run from 'ok' like ENom etc... to pretty bad, like GD (IMHO).

also, someone above said you can order .de at GD with no German address??
Are you sure about that??
You can do it without being a german citizen sure (any EU citizenship will do), but double check on the address part...

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have read somewhere that Moniker are ranking on the 17th place in terms of number of registered names. Don't you think that it is a pretty modest achievement to mark them as the most secure registrar? Do they have enough business? Actually, what's the number of domains registered and run there?

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well, the fact that as far as I know they havent had a case of hijacking happen in the last years (if ever) says a lot to me.

It doesnt have to be in quantity, but in % terms.

Reaction score
Actually ForumDomains, we manage more than 1 Million domains amoung our 4 accreditations and Seeker is correct. We have not lost one domain name to theft or unauthorized transfers due to our high security proceedures we have in place. Ask any large domain owner or owners of high value domains and you will find the majority of them right here at Moniker.com.

As a matter of fact, the largest domain sale just reported for $162M - is right here and has been for 4 years!

Let me know how I can help you - [email protected]

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, mcahn.
Actually, what are your 4 accreditations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom