Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Music Video Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenl

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gariben are you sure? I heard they are legal because most of the videos are not hosted on their server.

Edder

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Darren06 said:
Gariben are you sure? I heard they are legal because most of the videos are not hosted on their server.

I also assumed it was legal if you didn't host the actual files.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
17 USC § 1201
(2) No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof, that—
(A) is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title;
(B) has only limited commercially significant purpose or use other than to circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title; or
(C) is marketed by that person or another acting in concert with that person with that person’s knowledge for use in circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

[...]
(2) As used in this subsection—
(A) to “circumvent protection afforded by a technological measure” means avoiding, bypassing, removing, deactivating, or otherwise impairing a technological measure; and
(B) a technological measure “effectively protects a right of a copyright owner under this title” if the measure, in the ordinary course of its operation, prevents, restricts, or otherwise limits the exercise of a right of a copyright owner under this title.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
byalik said:
So in English that means its illegal?

I think John outlined it, and now you need to get more specific with your question byalik. When you say "these sites" you're asking a pretty broad question. Which sites? What action? etc. etc.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think John outlined it, and now you need to get more specific with your question byalik. When you say "these sites" you're asking a pretty broad question. Which sites? What action? etc. etc.

Seriously. I have no definite idea what Byalik is talking about. If "music video codes" are some kind of license enforcement mechanism, which only authorized users are supposed to have in order to view music videos, then unauthorized distribution of the codes would implicate the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA.
So in English that means its illegal?

How about, in English, providing some idea of what "music video codes" are, and what "these sites" are.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the trend with these sites is to run them, and then if you get an email asking/telling you to remove a particular video from your site, you do it, and generally all is well.

remember when the lyrics sites first came out? they were shutting them down left and right. now there are hundreds, if not thousands of them out there.

doesn't make them anymore or any less legal, but I think people just get sick of fighting a losing battle.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I must have this wrong also. I thought that these streamed .asf files which use .asx files as their descriptors were no problem to host, together with some html that people can copy and paste on their own site (the sum being the "code"). These videos are put out as promos by the record companies to further record sales? Why would a reference to the streaming source (NOT physical hosting) be a problem?

I see videocodezone.com is carrying high-end ads -- surely the likes of Casale and Fastclick have vetted their content? This is also the site I saw somewhere that was sold for $200,000, four months from inception. That buyer must have done some due dilly on the deal? And it made $1700 on the last day before sale from ad revenue?

I'd love to know more...

LeeD

Soli Deo Gloria
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aZooZa said:
I think I must have this wrong also. I thought that these streamed .asf files which use .asx files as their descriptors were no problem to host, together with some html that people can copy and paste on their own site (the sum being the "code"). These videos are put out as promos by the record companies to further record sales? Why would a reference to the streaming source (NOT physical hosting) be a problem?

I see videocodezone.com is carrying high-end ads -- surely the likes of Casale and Fastclick have vetted their content? This is also the site I saw somewhere that was sold for $200,000, four months from inception. That buyer must have done some due dilly on the deal? And it made $1700 on the last day before sale from ad revenue?

I'd love to know more...
I am with you aZooZa...;-)

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if anyone is thinking about starting one, then contact me.

I have a nice music code domain with type-in traffic for sale.

StuntPope

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Darren06 said:
I got one too.

I've noticed a lot of these sites just broke in the last few days, most of them were redirecting videos out of yahoo, looking at those yahoo links (off of the launch.yahoo.com site) they are just spitting out empty links.

Anybody else notice this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom