Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Music Video Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

teatime

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I use a music video code, just one, in each of the following sites:
www.Soca2005.com
www.DanceReggaeton.com
www.MerengueDance.com
I place a link for an opp'ty to buy the CD close by the video.
There are alot of searches for these codes going on - look on Overture under any music category search, like "reggaeton" -
teatime

DThompson

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am curious what Yahoo thinks about all of these sites using their video streams. The only thing that I can see in their Help menu that related somewhat to what these sites are doing was this:

Can I download or purchase music videos from your site?

Our copyright agreements with the record labels prevent us from allowing people to download or purchase the videos on our site. Our web site is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week for you to enjoy all the videos you want. We can let you watch them all day long. We just can't redistribute or sell the videos.

Any thoughts?

StuntPope

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DThompson said:
I am curious what Yahoo thinks about all of these sites using their video streams.
Any thoughts?

I mentioned in another music video codes thread that as of a few days ago, Yahoo has changed the URLs on all their videos, breaking about 99% of the music video code sites out there (including the one that was listed here, apparently making 1K a day, and wanted to sell for xxx,xxx, I sure feel bad for anybody who actually bought it)

I've even seen music video codes sites offered for sale (not this one tho) which are broken in this fashion. (The site in this thread just redirects into another site)

StuntPope said:
I mentioned in another music video codes thread

woops, this is the "other thread" I was talking about, got mixed up from a thread in websites 4 sale

sorry

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My site is doing fine still, no broken video links yet.

darrenl

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thas why you don't take all of Yahoos feeds ;).

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
azooza, you have a site up and running yet?

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't tell, I'm on a old comp and slow connection. Have you tried lately?

Edit: they are all still playing.

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Due to my experiences with usenet I can tell you that linking to a file/program that you do not own the copyright for can get you hit with contributory copyright infringement.

Of course those video's are not public content, don't even pretend that they are, even if they are promotional material. They are owned by someone else and until you get a signed letter in your hand saying you can use that product in any way you see fit then it's not yours to use.

Is this a gray area? No it's not, it's illegal. Go ahead and talk yourself into doing it, and if it makes you feel better tell yourself that the money you make will make you feel better. I'm sure the money is good, and yes I've thought about doing it myself. However I _know_ my position when it comes to the law.

Before you go off on me, please read the following items
1) I'm speaking about US law.
2) I'm not going to argue with you about legalities, do that with your lawyer.
3) Your opinion does not matter when it comes to the law.
4) A good lawyer is expensive

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions DNGeeks. I'll certainly investigate all of this and more before I put any codes on a site. No, I'm not going to argue with you about legalities. I'll take my solicitor's advice on the matter. Thanks for the input again.

christopher_c

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I've got one also, or at least we scraped out a database of them. I haven't put it live yet though.

Jason Benn

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
aZooZa said:
I think I must have this wrong also. I thought that these streamed .asf files which use .asx files as their descriptors were no problem to host, together with some html that people can copy and paste on their own site (the sum being the "code"). These videos are put out as promos by the record companies to further record sales? Why would a reference to the streaming source (NOT physical hosting) be a problem?

I see videocodezone.com is carrying high-end ads -- surely the likes of Casale and Fastclick have vetted their content? This is also the site I saw somewhere that was sold for $200,000, four months from inception. That buyer must have done some due dilly on the deal? And it made $1700 on the last day before sale from ad revenue?

I'd love to know more...

Well I personally know the guy that operates VideoCodeZone.com. I know that he sold it for $200,000. I also know for a fact that he was making about $1,500 - $1,700 per day when he sold the site. Also know that he was averaging about 1,200,000 daily pageviews and 105,000 daily uniques. He did all of this is 4 months time with $0 spent on advertising.

I see about 42 sites right now trying to get in on the market, and I can guarantee you from experience, that 99.999% of them will never make any kind of money Like videocodezone.com does, not even 1/5 of the amount, simply because search engine traffic accounts for less than 2% of the sites traffic, so having good SERP will do almost nothing for your site.

This is a market that once the first few guys get in and go big, almost all others will fail no matter how hard they try, or even pay to advertise. Simple fact, MySpace.com has 22,000,000 users, and most of those users that want a music video on their profile already have one from one of the big players such as VideoCodeZone.com...etc. Now when people browse their profiles, see the video, and decide they want it also, they click on the link in the video to go directly to the site, they don't go to Google and try to find a site, they go directly to the site and use them. So long story short, once a site dominates the market with incoming links, it's pretty hard for others to try and tap in on the market.

Now why he sold a site that was making $1,500+ per day for only $200K which is only 133 days revenue when a site making that much could easily be sold for 6-12 months revenue ($273,000 - $547,000), well that my friends I can't say, but I can say that it was done for a reason :bandit:

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jason Benn said:
Well I personally know the guy that operates VideoCodeZone.com. I know that he sold it for $200,000. I also know for a fact that he was making about $1,500 - $1,700 per day when he sold the site. Also know that he was averaging about 1,200,000 daily pageviews and 105,000 daily uniques. He did all of this is 4 months time with $0 spent on advertising.

I see about 42 sites right now trying to get in on the market, and I can guarantee you from experience, that 99.999% of them will never make any kind of money Like videocodezone.com does, not even 1/5 of the amount, simply because search engine traffic accounts for less than 2% of the sites traffic, so having good SERP will do almost nothing for your site.

This is a market that once the first few guys get in and go big, almost all others will fail no matter how hard they try, or even pay to advertise. Simple fact, MySpace.com has 22,000,000 users, and most of those users that want a music video on their profile already have one from one of the big players such as VideoCodeZone.com...etc. Now when people browse their profiles, see the video, and decide they want it also, they click on the link in the video to go directly to the site, they don't go to Google and try to find a site, they go directly to the site and use them. So long story short, once a site dominates the market with incoming links, it's pretty hard for others to try and tap in on the market.

Now why he sold a site that was making $1,500+ per day for only $200K which is only 133 days revenue when a site making that much could easily be sold for 6-12 months revenue ($273,000 - $547,000), well that my friends I can't say, but I can say that it was done for a reason :bandit:

So if you know the guy . . . any clue how he was operating the site ? Was he "licensed" to use the videos ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom