Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

my family name .net or .org?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danield

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have an unusual last name, so I thought I would register the .com for kicks.

Then I realised it was taken .... and regged to 2012!!!

Anyway, I want to register a name for my family's sake.

The .net and the .org are available -- but which should I register? which is more appropriate? Or should I just get them both?

I know it's "$0.00" "- reg fee" -- this isn't an appraisal thread, It's my name, so don't tell me how worthless it would be :)

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would take .net def.

I registered my nickname: icehole in .org since .com and .net were taken :eek: :eek:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Though I prefer .org to .net when it comes to ease of making domain sales, I would prefer the .net for a personal or family name. .Org is as it sounds, for organizations. I like the country code for personal names too. I have a very common first/last name and got it in .us and .info (com net org were all gone). My daughter has her name in .net and my wife has her name in .com (totally unfair I know! :) )

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Texas Filly. I would register both. And, offer the one you don't want to one of your relatives. But, it gives you time to decide. Plus, maybe you can get some "brownie points" from your relative.

(Make sure they have the money before you transfer it. No use having a fight with your relatives over money.)

Gumby

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat, I chose the .net and now someone else has the .org - I wish I had regged them both when I had the chance. Don't make the same mistake I did!

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you only could get one, I would say .net. But get both.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
reg both, and also .us .info .biz and others. ;)

danield

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by .com.net.org
reg both, and also .us .info .biz and others. ;)

Funnily enough the .cn is regged!

Anyhow thanks guys, I think I will reg both *looks around the house for something to sell to pay for 2 new reg's*

I wish I could get the .com, but one of my relatives beat me :(

Thanks.

danield

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Heh, just had to reg them so I could tell you !

Dulhunty

Not Dulahunty or Dalahunty .... Dulhunty

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by danield
Heh, just had to reg them so I could tell you !

Dulhunty

Not Dulahunty or Dalahunty .... Dulhunty

I made you take action, huh? :D

otherwise, i could earn some bucks. :)

danield

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah I thought some young go-getter here would try and beat me to the punch and re-sell :)

thanks to everyone for the advice, I'm happy I have them both now. Now I just have to wait until 2012 to get the .com ! :D

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a long time ago I regg'ed my full name in .com, then like an idiot let it drop. of course it was picked up right away, and now the guy who got it won't even return my e-mails.

oh well. tough lesson learned.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The guy who has my full name in the .com has had it for years (it is also his name) but he has never developed it. It just sits there collecting dust, so I finally contacted him to see if he wanted to sell it. He says "Oh I would want a ton of money for that!". Why he thinks it is so valuable when he doesn't even use it for an email address is beyond me. Of course it isn't worth anything to anyone except me (or someone else with the same name) for inexpensive vanity use, so I guess it will sit there unusued for eternity.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Frontrow, I also registered my full name, let it drop and someone picked it up. It's not a big deal to me though, vanity sites are lame imho. I would like my last name though but all the good extensions have been registered.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actual sites generally would be lame - to me the value of a "vanity" address would be for easy to remember email, like [email protected]. Again no value to anyone but the person with that name, but still worth having.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I tried to use mine for email but it just sounds wierd, [email protected]. I would rather use jason -at- 6x.net or my hotmail. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom