Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

my family name .net or .org?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend registering both too.

The .name people are apparently going to start offering the sale of 2nd level domains (i.e. lastname.name), instead of only 3rd level which they're doing now (firstname.lastname.name). This should make their TLD more popular.

Although, I wonder what will happen to all the Smiths and Joneses who want Smith.name or Jones.name ?

danield

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.name just doesn't seem like a web address ... 3-chars, something like .nom would have been better IMO

...Then again I think .ws should be .web :)

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GeorgeK
I'd recommend registering both too.

The .name people are apparently going to start offering the sale of 2nd level domains (i.e. lastname.name), instead of only 3rd level which they're doing now (firstname.lastname.name). This should make their TLD more popular.

Although, I wonder what will happen to all the Smiths and Joneses who want Smith.name or Jones.name ?

speculators will buy all well known lastname. :D

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by TexasFilly
I would reg. BOTH..

You won't regret it..

I agree. Instead of $9 , spend $18. It is worth it.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GeorgeK

They'd need ICANN approval, since their current registry agreement specifically indicates their current policy of selling only third level domains.

Also, I don't think they'd be able to sell any second level domains that already have third level domains registered within them; that wouldn't be fair to the existing registrants who'd have their domans yanked from them if the underlying 2nd level name was sold to somebody else. So only things that weren't common surnames would be available.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RFC 1591 has this to say about .NET vs. .ORG:

NET - This domain is intended to hold only the computers of network providers, that is the NIC and NOC computers, the
administrative computers, and the network node computers. The customers of the network provider would have domain names of their own (not in the NET TLD).

ORG - This domain is intended as the miscellaneous TLD for organizations that didn't fit anywhere else. Some non- government organizations may fit here.

By this description, neither is entirely fitting for an individual or family site (it's not an organization or a network provider), but .ORG seems like the least inappropriate, anyway... it was intended as the "catch-all" for anybody who didn't fit in the other categories, though the Internet founders didn't seem to anticipate individuals rather than organizations ever getting their own domains.

Traditionally, "geek" types have tended to use .ORG for their personal sites, at least before the introduction of new TLDs. Now, I think .NAME is more logical for personal sites (if you want both a first and a last name in it, anyway; it wouldn't work for a single-named family site), and .INFO is a true catch-all for every sort of use.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by danield
yeah I thought some young go-getter here would try and beat me to the punch and re-sell :)

thanks to everyone for the advice, I'm happy I have them both now. Now I just have to wait until 2012 to get the .com ! :D

Good decision!

-Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom