Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Name Administration - the largest holders in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm now offically frustrated!!

In the past couple of weeks I have been attempting to register some of those more off-the-beaten path coms. Unfortunately time after time after time most names I checked (of those that were taken) belonged to only one name: the ubiquitous Name Administration. Sometimes I would come up with some completely crazy non-related terms and I would check them, and sure enough they were already theirs. I think during that time these guys showed up in 90% of my registration attempts/whois searches.

In fact according to the report below they now have over 180,000 domains which most likely makes them the fourth largest domainers worldwide in terms of sheer quantity (after BD, FAB, and ULT/MAR).

webhosting.info/webhosts/reports/total_domains/NAMEADMINISTRATION.COM

But if we look at this from the ownership/operational perspective they do seem to be the largest domain holder in the world in proportion to the staff employed (as I believe this operation is run either by one, possibly two partners?)

And the scary part is that this is not taking into account a countless numbers of co.uk domains they own.

Or that they are not fancy pickers either, owning large quantity of adult names too.

Or that they achieved this in only three years.

So what is this? A last attempt to grab every possible com phrase/term variant existent in the English language whether by regfee, or by paying dearly every week in drops? Is this a sound, business plan? A devout cultist following of ULT's foothpath in an incensant desire to repeat at least a part of his success? Or is this a pure lunacy? An addiction perhaps? A rather desperate pursuit of domain name game fame? A thrill of ego-clashing that comes with domain portfolio size measurements (what would Froyd say about this?) A sensory rush that comes with knowledge that "I" am on top of the world in something something (no matter what)?

And how much are the yearly renewal fees for someone with 180,000+ domains and without a larger and proper corporate backing? Or should the question be, how much is the yearly PPC intake on 180,000+ domains?

I don't know. I really don't. But I'd like to know. Probably one of the most important domainers of the later times, and nobody is discussing about him/them and their tactics? So I am taking this opportunity to ask Duke if he can arrange some sort of DNJournal profiling of this fascinating entity. It would not only serve as an interesting read, but as an enlightenment too.

Domain Days 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Just read about the Ultimate Search paradigm; it can be duplicated.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domain game is like ..."no limit poker"

if you got the cash, you can take the pot.

i had to come to realize, that some domainers actually "hunt and track" names like...... "they're hunting food for the family". ;)

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
Just read about the Ultimate Search paradigm; it can be duplicated.

Huh?

biggedon said:
i had to come to realize, that some domainers actually "hunt and track" names like...... "they're hunting food for the family". ;)

HAHAHA Biggie, you really gave me the biggest laugh of the week :-D :-D :-D

But its true. Just like that. Hunter (and gatherer) type of thing.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Name Admin Inc is a very large holder indeed. They also hold a lot of refuse (read: garbage) in my opinion. I think Anything.com, Dotzup.com, Netcorp, A1 Advertising and others probably churn more cash with a whole lot less in terms of total domains held. Although, I can't say for sure.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ultsearch also had mostly garbage but still managed to net some pretty impressive #s don't you think?

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree. It's an interesting concept. Either go for the sheer number of domains and try to blanket all of the market segments imaginable, or go for only several ultra premium domains that represent each respective market.

The quandary is that premium domains are growing more and more expensive, while the refuse/garbage domains are still dirt cheap, if not only priced at reg. or backorder fee -- and you can still get a net profit on many of them in a year's time, which is all that matters.

I think both models can be highly successful if the cash outlay is not too excessive. That of course is easier to say than to actually do.

M

mole

Name Admin is barking up the wrong tree, imho. They should have spent more effort in seizing new namespace opportunities on good one word generics while it is still affordable. Instead on focusing on aging two word .COM of which direct navigation value is fast declining in today's search world.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
two word .COM of which direct navigation value is fast declining in today's search world.

From my experience generic .COM two/three worders are receiving higher revenues and can be sold for much higher values. Please expand.

M

mole

NameYourself said:
From my experience generic .COM two/three worders are receiving higher revenues and can be sold for much higher values. Please expand.

This is the first time I am hearing such a conclusion, please expand your logic.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Simple: end-user market (that's 2 words).

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
This is the first time I am hearing such a conclusion, please expand your logic.

As for the value of generic keyword .COMs, it's pretty obvious that quality type-in traffic is being well rewarded, especially at DomainSponsor. People with non-garbage traffic are getting increased payouts on a per click basis. In fact there's a whole thread on here about their new payout structure which is based purely on quality. The highest quality traffic comes from generic words or phrases (it might not necessarily have the most quantity of traffic, but is the most specific and targetted). For example, HomeLoanQuotes.com is three words, and very specific on a high value key term. It would also be likely to have a very high conversion rate through affiliate programs requiring visitors to apply for a quote on a home loan. How and where have you seen generic word / phrase domains with quality traffic decreasing in value?

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Name Admin is a member here. And, I'm sure he visits from time to time.
However, he rarely post.

He is liked by the people that know him. And, he has a number of friends
that are also respected members here.

Linkz 235,000
15x 188,000

total 423,000

He owns his own registrar credential so his renewals are a few pennies cheaper.

You can figure his renewal cost are around $ 2.6 million a year.

His renewal budget is a little bit higher than mine. :-D

M

mole

NameYourself said:
As for the value of generic keyword .COMs, it's pretty obvious that quality type-in traffic is being well rewarded, especially at DomainSponsor. People with non-garbage traffic are getting increased payouts on a per click basis. In fact there's a whole thread on here about their new payout structure which is based purely on quality. The highest quality traffic comes from generic words or phrases (it might not necessarily have the most quantity of traffic, but is the most specific and targetted). For example, HomeLoanQuotes.com is three words, and very specific on a high value key term. It would also be likely to have a very high conversion rate through affiliate programs requiring visitors to apply for a quote on a home loan. How and where have you seen generic word / phrase domains with quality traffic decreasing in value?

I see. While having to type more words does suggest an extra effort on the surfer's part and brain cells, the same effect can also be achieved with memorable one word wonders on new namespace, eg. loans.info

One word wonders sound much more authoritative/credible in the category it operates.

I think many people, including Name Admin, have not figured out the secret of what's on the right of the dot for improved traffic quality.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
financialtraffic said:
Name Admin Inc is a very large holder indeed. They also hold a lot of refuse (read: garbage) in my opinion. I think Anything.com, Dotzup.com, Netcorp, A1 Advertising and others probably churn more cash with a whole lot less in terms of total domains held. Although, I can't say for sure.

You're probably right. Pound for pound all of them are better. But it doesn't matter. All those players mentioned came to the game before Admin. So the only choice Admin had was to go for reg'ing every two-worder combo available, especially if they had any overture meanings. Also in last while they have been spending at least tens of thousands per week. Add this to their renewal fees even at registrar's discount, and you have an incredible yearly expenses for one guy. But I guess it's worth it to him is not? For every one name that they sell for $20,000, they can reg 3,000 new names. That is 3,000 fresh new opportunities for another $20,000 sale etc. etc. And they keep recycling themsleves like that. Its like a virus or a malignant cell just spreading around opportunistically. To say the least I think it's worth it.

My question is in what business was he before he came into this game, since I assume he didn't make his initial money in domains?

actnow said:
He is liked by the people that know him. And, he has a number of friends that are also respected members here.

Anyone who redirects Cheney's election year public TV blunder to the Soros website has my utter respect :eek:k:

mole said:
I see. While having to type more words does suggest an extra effort on the surfer's part and brain cells, the same effect can also be achieved with memorable one word wonders on new namespace, eg. loans.info

One word wonders sound much more authoritative/credible in the category it operates.

I think many people, including Name Admin, have not figured out the secret of what's on the right of the dot for improved traffic quality.

I don't know Mole. I respect your posts and opinions, but to keep beating dead horse with these kinds of statements is rather pointless. No, I don't think Name Admin would be what they are today had they went for a selected few info's and biz's.

CashCowDomains

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
My question is in what business was he before he came into this game, since I assume he didn't make his initial money in domains?

Construction.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sneakers.com said:
Construction.

Seriously? Well thanks. I guess domain portfolio building is indeed a lot like construction :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom