Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news NameCheap now banning Crypto domain registrations

OneDomainscom

Level 3
Reaction score
So I was registering some crypto stuff for a project on namecheap

Took hours in chat with low IQ's at NC before they white listed some crypto keywords

Their explaination they are now working with authorities over terms connected to whatever

So crypto domains are now being targeted

heads up

Domain summit 2024

Bill Hartzer

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear more about this. What exactly was their explanation?

Are you referring to the registration of certain domain names with 'crypto' terms in the domain?
I don't see how this would be different than banning the registration of phishing domains and trademark domains.

OneDomainscom

Level 3
Reaction score
I'd like to hear more about this. What exactly was their explanation?

Are you referring to the registration of certain domain names with 'crypto' terms in the domain?
I don't see how this would be different than banning the registration of phishing domains and trademark domains.

Go to namecheap
Search for a crypto combo

Example cryptoexchange

You see open registrations, like .inc on sale for 1000+, now add to cart, you cannot

A chat icon appears and they want you to explain what is your use

Now the same thing like exchange, no problem, whatever is open, you can register no questions asked

Has anyone every had a registrar ask what is your use?

crypto is a generic term, it should not be restricted

Anyway, too a couple of hours to resolve, I let this drop while ago, I reregistered it

cryptoexchange.exchange

I wanted to register 1cryptoexchange.com it would not let me, so went to godaddy, no problems

I tried lots of computers and ips, same thing, as soon as you try to select a term with crypto you get chat icon

Only after badgering their support for hours did their staff whitelist me to get what I wanted

I don't think any company has the right to ask people what is your use?

99% of domains are registered as spec registrations

I'm speculating, now I'm different, I have developed hundreds of sites over the decades, I own some really famous sites

But for a registrar to ask me what's my intended use of 1cryptoexchange.com

None of your business and it was on godaddy in a fast minute

So their loss

Not mine

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't like this either :/

I have several "crypto" names registered with NameCheap. Never ran into any problem. But maybe things have changed.

I've tested a little and the restriction seems mainly to arise when you have "CryptoExchange" in the name. Even if you drop one or the two "e" letter or replace the "o" with 0, for example. But anything "Crypto" otherwise seems to be quite OK.

It seems bad, but not excessively bad.
This is the kind of stuff which will tend to promote decentralized domains on blockchains and such things. Alternatives where you don't have to come up with justifications and where some people don't decide if you can or can't do something.

I tried lots of computers and ips, same thing, as soon as you try to select a term with crypto you get chat icon
Only after badgering their support for hours did their staff whitelist me to get what I wanted
Note: What I wrote above is with my own Namecheap account. I don't know if it's different depending of the user, the age of the account; the IP, etc.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

maybe by asking you what purpose for usage is....
then you might reconsider registering the name and save some money.

as some registrations seem to be "spur of moment" thoughts.

imo...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators