Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

NameJet Confusion - My bid gets me into a private auction??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiteSpeculator

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I am new to the whole NameJet thing - I am trying to make sure I understand the rules.

So I see some names on the "Pre-Release" list that I have some interest in and . . . I read the "how it works" section and from what it looks like my bid is really sort of irrelevant as IF the domain is not re-registered by the original owner then my "bid" gets me included in a "private auction" - I assume between the others that have bid on the name up to that point.

So my BIG questions are:

Does the bidding start all over or does it start at where the highest bidder stopped during the "pre-release"?

How many of these "pre-release" names typically get renewed or bought up shortly before the "expiry period"?

Are the auctions really "private" or can anyone bid once the name is officially open for re-registrations?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom related to this.

J

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So I am new to the whole NameJet thing - I am trying to make sure I understand the rules.

So I see s
f3b
ome names on the "Pre-Release" list that I have some interest in and . . . I read the "how it works" section and from what it looks like my bid is really sort of irrelevant as IF the domain is not re-registered by the original owner then my "bid" gets me included in a "private auction" - I assume between the others that have bid on the name up to that point.

So my BIG questions are:

Does the bidding start all over or does it start at where the highest bidder stopped during the "pre-release"?

How many of these "pre-release" names typically get renewed or bought up shortly before the "expiry period"?

Are the auctions really "private" or can anyone bid once the name is officially open for re-registrations?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom related to this.

J

Hi

for private auctions, the bidding starts at the highest bid so far.

not everyone who backorders will place a $29 bid or $69 bid, some will bid higher initially, when backordering.

no way to tell how many names get renewed before expiry period

the private auctions are only for those who placed "backorders" on that name

there is no "re-registration" period.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If it's in Pre-release, it will go to auction when there are more than 1 bids. Unlike Snapnames that takes to a 3-day auction ANY domain it captures, even if you are the only bidder (Halvarez sooner or later arrives...)

All bids placed before the pre-release auction are valid and are carried over into the private auction. Technically, you can enter a pre-release auction with a $69 bid.

SiteSpeculator

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the answers -
If I could just get a quick follow up -

This just seems a lot like getting the cart before the horse as these names can still be renewed by the original owner - At least all the way through the "pre-registration" period?

Why not just wait until they are officially available and then auction them? If like NameJet SnapNames etc. - you actually would have legal control over them at (LEGAL) expiration? Seems like an unneccesary amount of "foreplay" before the real action takes place??

Example: www.vida.com is currently at a $336 bid (as of my last check before this post) - I assume - if I was interested - I bid $350 - get myself included in the private auction IF the owner does not renew the name before expiration (which seems sort of crazy, but . . . ) AND then (likely) expect the real players to come to the table with what I would assume would be a far higher bid for this name? Am I getting the basic idea of this??

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
These names are past expiration but under an agreement between the auctioning platform and the registrar they are being auctioned - for the obvious purpose of generating revenue via the sale. Once they announce a pre-release, the domains hit the auction in a few days.

In your example, you can bid $69 and be included in the private auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom