Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Namewinner bid limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My account at namewinner has a limit of $100. It has nothing to do with credit card limits, and the FAQ really doesn't touch on this. Anyone know what the rules are on these limits? Is it something they increase with use?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
adoptable, This was brought up a few months ago..new policy to for new accounts (is that you?) smaller limits until you develop a track record...suppose to cut back on fraud...

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a fairly new account. It seems kind of counter productive if you want to try getting a domain but are limited to $100. I only tried there because the snap was already taken.

Thanks for the answer.

gariben

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
definitely nothing to do with your credit card limit.

in fact, in might be the opposite. the higher cc limit you have, the lower NameWinner might give you.

it tends to be that people with bad credit history, gets the highest cc limit!!!

just joking

just register several domains in NameWinner and then ask them to increase the limit.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
email them and ask them to increase your max bid

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If its a problem (meaning, you can see yourself potentially making higher bids), make sure you post your request, ASAP. You don't want to try to have them do it the day of a drop as someone outbids you at $101. It won't happen. Don't learn that the hard way.

~ Nexus

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also feel this is a garbage policy as I just signed up with them and have $ but can't bid on aything of any real value.

Time to look at a policy change unless they don't want my $.

-=DCG=-

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DotComGod
I also feel this is a garbage policy as I just signed up with them and have $ but can't bid on aything of any real value. Time to look at a policy change unless they don't want my $.
They implemented the policy to curb a rampant practice that involved people signing up and ruining the bid process by fraudulently bidding up names thousands of dollars. It may seem like a "garbage" policy, but they really did need to do something.

I'm not sure what alteration to the policy would help balance convenience to new customers, and safety for existing bidders. I'd made only one successful bid, and they increased my limit after one request (though too late for me to recover from a dropping-day outbid of $101. I had a whole day to be miserable about it, waiting for an increase that came a few days later.)

While annoyed, I'm not sure what adjustments I would suggest. If you hadn't caught it, there was a fraudulent-bid spree a while back that had people up in arms.

~ Nexus

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus
They implemented the policy to curb a rampant practice that involved people signing up and ruining the bid process by fraudulently bidding up names thousands of dollars. It may seem like a "garbage" policy, but they really did need to do something.

I'm not sure what alteration to the policy would help balance convenience to new customers, and safety for existing bidders. I'd made only one successful bid, and they increased my limit after one request (though too late for me to recover from a dropping-day outbid of $101. I had a whole day to be miserable about it, waiting for an increase that came a few days later.)

While annoyed, I'm not sure what adjustments I would suggest. If you hadn't caught it, there was a fraudulent-bid spree a while back that had people up in arms.

~ Nexus

I think there are several ways to allow first or one time bidders but protect against fraudulent bids. Maybe a ($100 or 10%) deposit that's non-refundable if backed out, a hold against the credit card, or some verification of identity like PayPal does. Even a link or FAQ about why there is a limit or what it takes to lift it.

Not very new-user friendly in my opinion.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why, but they just raised my maximum bid from $5000 to $500,000! :eek: I couldn't imagine spending that much on domains. It would be fun though if I had that kind of money. :swg:

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-
I'm not sure why, but they just raised my maximum bid from $5000 to $500,000! :eek: I couldn't imagine spending that much on domains. It would be fun though if I had that kind of money. :swg:

I have $10K, but also will never bid thats much near future!

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mine's $1000 and I hope they never raise it:D

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
adopt, did you have to give them your user name and password? Did you receive an email requesting this info?

Thanks,

Mike

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tippy
adopt, did you have to give them your user name and password? Did you receive an email requesting this info?

Thanks,

Mike

I gave them a username and who I was, but no password. No, I initiated the request and got a simple answer that my limit was changed from $100 to $1000. It took about 24hrs.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mine's $100,000 which is interesting as I've never bid over $500 (or spent over $350) on a domain...

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One things for sure, Namewinner is a pretty strange place!

IMHO, they have some practices and programming that make no sense.

But what can you do....? :embarrass

WebCat

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Good thread! Mine went from $100 to $10,000 after they successfully grabbed a domain that I had been watching for a long, long time! Now, maybe I should bid $10,000 on something?? Anyone? :eek:

PS. Have you ever NOT been notified by them when they did NOT get the domain for you. I must have got outbid at the last second, someone else got the domain (definitely), and it still shows up in MY "Purchase list". Shouldn't they be notifying me I didn't get it by now?
Thanks much.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Cool!

Here- you can bid $10,000.00 on this: SuckerEveryMinute.com

I think you will find that due to this defect, people have names in their "Hi Bid List" that have been there for a very long time. I have had heated discissions with the folks at Dotster about this.

They are slow and seem to pay only lip service. This is why I am encouraged to see DCG taking an active role in improving things here at DNF. He seems to be listening to the voices of his paid customers. One can hope.

Peace,
WebCat

ps- let me know if you want that domain! :D

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks, WebCat ... I'm with 'ya 100%, friend! I hope. :D
Appreciate your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom