Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

namewinner want my domain back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kixx

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I won a domain at namewinner for USD500+, and i receive an email from their legal department and tells me that was a mistake and want me to transfer the domain back to the pre-owner. They have already change my credit card and the domain is already in my account.

What should i do?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
tell them you will sell it to them for $1000.

kixx

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tks,

The domain had some good US traffic and I don't want to sell or give it back :)

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Read through their TOS, I doubt they have anything in there about mistakes on their part. I would suggest you contact of the legal eagles on this site and ask what they think. I am just a domain junkie and you should take my advice as that.

kixx

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
tks jh3, you been a great help always :)

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
np kixx, glad to be of service. :D

ToastyX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Something just doesn't sound right. Are you sure it's not a fraud e-mail? If they accidentally transferred someone else's domain into your account, I would think they'd fix the problem and give you a refund without having to ask. If they accidentally deleted someone else's domain, that's what the redemption grace period is for. Things just don't add up. It looks like someone e-mailed you pretending to be NameWinner to try to get you to transfer the domain to them.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sure sounds like a scam to me. make sure it is transfer-locked and your admin address is up to date

kixx

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
but the email is from someone at dotster.com, he said he is from the legal department, and like me to transfer the domain back to register.com...

I hv reply the guy and told him you have charge my credit card for money already, i can't just transfer the domain to someone like this. He had not reply yet... waiting...

ToastyX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From addresses can easily be "forged." Seriously, if there really is a problem, Dotster shouldn't have to ask you to do anything.

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
have to agree
something doesnt seem right

email them back asking them to confirm this request to you by writing within 7 working days with dotster company headed paper

also - ask them send a detailed report to your lawyer stating why this is happening etc - also on company headed paper

if you dont have a lawyer just put down a friends address and state that hes your lawyer

your perfectly within your rights to request this and it should stop any hoaxer from ripping you off

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fonze,

Never say that someone is a lawyer and they are not.

And, the minute you notify Dotster that you have a lawyer and you give them his name. They are not ethically allowed to communicate with you directly. They are to communicate thru your lawyer only.

So, think twice about that.

The way around it is to say that you want to get this resolved before you forward it to your lawyer. Or, something to that effect.

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
fair point though i still think theres a good chance this is a scam and asking for confirmation by company headed paper should confirm if it is or not - or at least scare the scammer away

i agree with toasty on this one - if they did make a mistake they would just take it out of the account

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would imagine they could be sued for just taking the domain out of the account without his permission. Sounds like a good reason to get your liscense taken away.

kixx

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
tks guys, really appreciated :)

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kixx
but the email is from someone at dotster.com, he said he is from the legal department, and like me to transfer the domain back to register.com...

Namewinner and Dotster are "interchangeable" but if this was genuine why would they ask you to transfer it to Register.Com?
It smells and I would not release the name until you are LEGALLY forced to do so.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cant you click message source code and see in the header exacly where this meil came from?

And it should also have an IP that should ne tracable back to Vancouver (close to my house) were dotster is located.

Or maybe I am just dum and dont know what I am talking about..

kixx

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
tks devildude, the mail is from 64.85.73.16 and the mail server is mail.dotster.com, so it may a real one :)

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I caught a domain that register.com dropped accidentally. Register.com notified my registrar and my registrar gave them the name back and nobody notified me til I asked where it was.

kixx

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi winfreecash, sorry to hear that, but the point is i won the name in an auction and they charge me already. Also the name had gone through the 40+ days deletion cycle.. don't think that will be a mistake..

Anyway, never heard from the guy from dotster again for few days .. wonder what is happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom