Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Need advice. How would you approach this DN owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudeinva

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have my eye on a domain anme that is owned by a private company. This company buys generic domains and sets up pages that link to PPC engines. That's their biz model. Well, they focus on a certain type of domains and the domain I am eyeing doesn't fit their portfolio. They have it currently parked with a generic PPC page, not their optimized one.

How do I approach them to see if they are interested in selling. Their site used to say they never sold their domains, but now I notice that text is missing after a redesign. Should I call or send an e-mail? What the heck should I say? Any input would be appreciated.

Arsenik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I get a response (with a price) in 90% of the emails i send simply asking if a domain is for sale and if it is how mutch they are selling it for. Then if you are comfortable calling them on the phone you should do that. Personaly i have never called a dn owner. Good Luck.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If they are a major player I am sure some of us here could give you some insight. That is, if you tell us which company you are referring to.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hate when people used to call me up at all hours of the night asking about bloody domain names.. which is why my whois info now has maxemail voicemail and fax setup on it.. People need to learn to respect timezones more and not assume everybody lives the same hours as they do in their country :)

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
typeins said:
I hate when people used to call me up at all hours of the night asking about bloody domain names.. which is why my whois info now has maxemail voicemail and fax setup on it.. People need to learn to respect timezones more and not assume everybody lives the same hours as they do in their country :)
As much as I hate to admit it, I wasn't thinking one day, and rang someone on the other side of the globe, where it was 1am :worried:

uglypeoople.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Email the owner with your offer. If your offer is in their ballpark area, they will respond, otherwise, they will just hit delete.

Most large domain portfolio owners get tons and tons of emails every single day....and they will read all their emails, but will only respond to the ones they are interested in....so make them a good offer and they will respond. If they do not respond, they are most likely not interested in your pocket change offer.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just offer a realistic price. If they don't respond email them again until the say NO. If they don't answer call them on the phone. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

dudeinva

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. I think I'll start with an e-mail that includes a realistic price. But coming up with that "realistic price" is a bit trickly. I'm used to buying domains in the $xx to low $xxx range, so I'm pretty close on guessing value. Now I think we're talking low to mid $x,xxx range and I'm not so sure. I don't want to low ball this person and yet I don't want to overpay either.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get a number of offers per day. All are unsolicited.

I use to be polite when someone would send an offer of $ 10.
I would respond and decline their offer. But, now. I just delete it. :emba:

Most of the time, I chuckle when someone sends an offer of $ 1.00 for
a name worth $ xxx to $ x,xxx. Then, I delete it. :-D

I often wonder when I get these $ 1.00 offers if "transfer thieves" are
testing my email to see if it is current and functional.

DomainTurn.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is a couple ways

The seller would like to get as much as he can. If your offer is too low he will delete.
The buyer does not want to over pay, He'll just move on. but if there is no way to find another name without changing the name of your company of business I would think about your offer carefully. figure out the value to you and offer 1\3 the amount
so if the domain name is worth 1000.00 offer him 300.00. He won't think your a lowballer and it will bring down his value because you have become a real buyer. This is called a hit figure. If you don't ask you won't get. and if he doesn't accept
the offer he will counter. Good luck.

dudeinva

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is there a veteran here that would be able to give an appraisal of the domain and could be trusted not to poach it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom