Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Need Advice! Selling my first domain name -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Ford, and although I have sold many domains as an employee of a particular registrar, I am in the process of selling my first domain as an individual, or "domainer." I really need your help and advice as to what I should do for my next step. I'm going to include the email exchange between I and the web guy for ThailandBail.com. I contacted him first and offered him BangkokBail.com, and he is interested. I think I have been doing okay so far, but tell me what you think I should do!

Hi Ford,

Thanks for your mail about your domain names bangkok bail and Bangkok bond. I helped a Thai friend set up Thailand bail, and he might be interested in Bangkok bail. It's really a small business and I think he's breaking even right now, but I can see if he wants to spend a few bucks on it.

How much were you thinking of selling it for?

Nathan

Thanks for your contact, Nathan.

I'm open to entertaining offers, but I'm not sure if we would be in the same ballpark if he's is just now breaking even.

You helped him set the site up, so I'm assuming you know a bit about SEO & online presence, and the power of domain names that strategically contain keywords. Who knows, but with the right implementation these 2 domains could be what he needs to take his business to the next level.

I was thinking a few grand, but like a said I'm not sure if this is in your friend's budget. I, like your friend, have realized the potential for a company targeting this market. Let me know if you guys are interested!

Ford Quarterman

Hi Ford,

Thanks for your reply. Of course, I understand the value of SEO - I worked as an SEO writer for a few years. I believe the real value in domains now is contingent on the real business that is attached to them. The only real value that Bangkok Bail would have is if it were used by an actual practicing law firm in Bangkok. Trying to make advertising revenue from it would not be all that profitable. The bail bond market in Thailand is not like the US, especially for foreigners. There are no bonds here for foreign prisoners/defendants.

If you can get a few grand from someone for just the domain, that's great for you. I don't see that much value in just a domain without an existing business attached to it or proven internet traffic.

As far as SEO goes, I can target the Bangkok Bail keyword and attract traffic to Thailand Bail's website. It just takes time.

In summary, I do see value in your domain, but just having that domain will not generate a few thousand dollars in the short run or medium run for anyone. I am interested in buying the domain from you, but I believe a few thousand dollars is far too much for an undeveloped domain.

Regards,

Nathan

Nathan,
I agree with you for the most part! There is no doubt that "domain x" with established business/traffic is worth more than a simple "domain x" registration. A product that is built, or even partially built, is also more valuable that a product that is not built. I do not believe, however, there is little to no value in domains that are not built out. In other words, I still believe in the power and value of "premium" domains.

I have never seen potential in BangkokBail.com from an affiliate marketing or advertising standpoint, I purchased the domain because 1.) I witnessed the sin, debauchery, & danger of Bangkok myself for the first time this past year 2.) those two words must be running through the mind of every single parent who has a kid traveling in SE Asia 3.) I couldn't believe it was available, and 4.) I simply could not think of a better domain name for a law firm in that part of the world to own. Regarding BangkokBond.com, I'll take your word for it - I have done no research on the Thai bail bond market. Also - I had no idea you guys existed when I purchased this domain - please don't think I'm some lowlife domain squatter.

Furthermore, I have no doubts that you, being a former SEO writer, can certainly help your friend's business through targeting the keywords, whether organically, PPC or whatever. You know how to do that. I know that premium domains, especially geo-domains that contain the right keywords, remain invaluable assets in assisting with that process, as I have seen proved time & time again while working with 100s of domains/small businesses, pre- and post-Google Panda update. We both know that this campaign would be much easier & your friend's business more successful with BangkokBail.com in your hands.

The amount of value you attach to the domain name is ultimately dependent on two things: 1.) your knowledge of how to exploit it to the best of your abilities, and 2.) your Thai friend's insight into the potential of this emerging market. This is the reason I reached out to you guys - it seems you have virtually no competition in "picking of low-hanging fruit."

That being said, I wish you guys the best of luck, and let me know if you change your mind. Like I said, I'm open to negotiating. I encourage you to capitalize, because it's only a matter of time until someone does.

Regards,

Ford Quarterman

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Ford.
Yes, for the right buyer, it might make sense. I discussed it with the legal team here, and they are ready to offer 3,000 - 5,000 THB ($100 - $170 approx.) I realize this is far from the value you think it is worth, but it would go towards a business that would actually try to use it and not just try to re-sell it later. We are not trying to low-ball you, but having been in the industry here for years, this is approximately what we think it is worth.

Regards,

Nathan

And that's the extent of it. I'm thinking about countering with $500 - do you think that's a good counter? Too low? Too high? All advice, tips, counsel is appreciated. Thanks guys and I hope you read and reply!

cheers,

Ford Quarterman
​

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
too much negotiation for a reg fee name

take whatever you can get and move on.

imo...

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Clearly it is not reg fee, as there is a buyer willing to offer over $100. You have achieved the dream - you paid reg fee and found an end user willing to pay over 10x that without much effort (well, ok. maybe not THE dream, but certainly A dream).

However, besides that technicality, I am with Biggie on this.

Take the money and run. You are lucky that apparently the only enduser out there for this one is interested.

Last edited:

Ford

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Okay - I'm going to try and get $200 lol. Now my next question, which will really make me sound like the rookie that I am: How do I go about facilitating this exchange? What is the most pro/easiest way to transfer our assets to each other? Do I just ask for a paypal payment and then handle the exchange of the WhoIs records with my registrar? Thanks a lot guys!

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For that small of a transaction, Paypal is certainly the easiest way to accept money (assuming it is an option in the buyer's country).

However, if there is not trust between the parties, it may be worth a little extra hassle to go through someone like Escrow.com

If you do a search here on the forum, you'll find a lot of conversations where those options are explored in depth.

Good luck!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now my next question, which will really make me sound like the rookie that I am: How do I go about facilitating this exchange? What is the most pro/easiest way to transfer our assets to each other? Do I just ask for a paypal payment and then handle the exchange of the WhoIs records with my registrar? Thanks a lot guys!

maybe look at what you said in initial post

and although I have sold many domains as an employee of a particular registrar,

how did you get those buyers to pay for those domains you claimed to have sold then?

imo...

vinsdomains.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For that small of a transaction, Paypal is certainly the easiest way to accept money (assuming it is an option in the buyer's country).

However, if there is not trust between the parties...
ECOP is another option - free for small transactions like this.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree that it's a lot of sales pitch. Let's face it, this domain is never going to sell for millions :)
Good domains speak for themselves, the more you try to justify the value, the more the merchandise looks of dubious quality.

Sounds like you have fairly motivated end user at hand, they are not always that engaging. But don't be greedy. I vote for a quick flip unless you have development plans that you think would be more profitable.
Good luck ;)

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For this domain I would agree you ought to take that 100-170 offer and run.- Don't push your luck as a counter-offer of over 250 might make this buyer walk.- Try to get 250 but stop there.- Got any idea how lucky you are to have this buyer? .- Would agree that is a reg fee domain and you already got 100-170 easy for it.

Ecop is free for small transactions --or use Paypal.- Escrow will set you back 25 which you might share with buyer if agreed.- For this domain paying 25 to Escrow may not make much sense if the final offer is on the lower end of that range. - - Wonder what registrar you work for.- Is it a popular one mentioned here often?

Ford

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Thanks for all the advice. Biggie/Domainoid - I used to work for a company that partnered w/ Network Solutions, in a call center. Obviously, we had secure payment terminals set up, and the ability to directly manage Network Solutions customers. I sold thousands of domains as an employee, never as an individual. The language you read in my initial post (the email string w/ Thailand Bail) is technically true, although I worded it in a way to give me leverage.

Regarding this deal, I have Thailand Bail ready to do the transaction. This is what he emailed me. Tell me if this is normal or is risky business:

Hi Ford,
Ok. Sounds good. Yes, I have done domain transfers before, either through an escrow service or just through PayPal with invoices.

What I have done in the past is that you send an invoice specifying that 50% will be paid up front for the bangkokbail.com domain to be transferred to me and that upon receipt of transfer, I will PayPal the second 50%. This is the most fair way I have come across, but if you have a better suggestion, please let me know.

Let me know, and we can complete the transfer whenever you're ready.

Regards,

Nathan

Does he have the ability to run after I transfer domain to him? Do I need to request 100% straight up? Thanks alot!

Ford

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nobody does it that way.

Once you transfer the domain, game is over.

This is why escrow services exist. If there is any doubt about the other side's intentions, I strongly suggest going that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators