Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

NEED ANSWER - How to get rid of Trademarked domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own a few names which are blatant trademark infringements.

These were acquired in my early days of domaining, some later on with ignorance playing a factor.

In short... I want out. I'm putting my hands up, I acknowledge that the names have rightful owners, and I don't want any trouble.

I'm willing to part with the names with absolutely no recovery of cost (despite that I'll be losing $xxx in doing this), so long as I am absolved of all legal liability that may have arisen from ownership of these names.

I have attempted to sell some of these names on eBay, as well as DNF and Sedo.

One of them sold on eBay, but hasn't been claimed yet by the winning bidder.

I feel as though my having done this can land me some trouble.

The names have only ever been parked while in my possession. I've never developed them or anything of that nature. A few of the names have earned PPC revenue off of parking (negligible... we're talking about $x here.)

But as I said... I'm putting my cards on the table... I want nothing more to do with these names. How do I go about getting rid of them so that I face no (more) legal liability?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You let them expire.

DomainSpace

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Or you do what a friend of mine did. He registered some major TM names back in 1999 and before they came calling on him. He actually called them gifting the domain to the person or organization. In return for not trying to cash grab he actually just asked for a letter so if someone ever did come at him he could show good faith. Trademarks all come down to goods and services. If you have a name like businessdepot (now Staples) you just have to avoid office supplies and if you made it a portal for business instead like a yellow pages for finding businesses then you don't violate the trademark. That doesn't mean they wouldn't come after you .. But if the domain was like Nike your better to drop it because they own that brand and name outright and there isn't much wiggle room.

Either way you have to decide is it worth keeping. Good Luck.

hpgoodboy

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you have not received any notifications yet, it is very unlikely the you will get any AFTER you have let them expire. I am lot a lawyer, so I suggets that you consult with a legal professional. But once you drop the names, there is no further infringement after that date.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
unless there is more to the story which we have not been told... just dropped them or let them expire... make sure you disconnect the NS from parking or whatever in the meanwhile... If you have not had a notice I wouldn't sweat it...but seems by your tone you have had something happen to scare you. (hope I'm reading that wrong)

if you've had no notice relax and drop/let expire as the others above have mentioned.

Good Luck,

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
but seems by your tone you have had something happen to scare you. (hope I'm reading that wrong)

I'm worried for 2 reasons, both of which are unrelated to any notifications being directed my way...

1. The recent Verizon vs DirectNIC case

2. Meeting with a friend who had told me about the plethora of possible ways someone can claim rights to a name

Both these things made me realize I need to clean up my act and only stick to truly generic domains. Thousands of dollars lost to C minus caliber domains has also made me realize what's a good name and what isn't.

Do you have any idea if they can come after me years later for having owned these domains in the past?

DomainSpace

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you drop the name they more then likely wouldn't care unless you have done something that would flag problems. But if that was the case you would have heard from them already. I can't speak for anyone else but I know of cases where the party went and registered a trademark and then went after the domain owner but didn't stand a chance because the domain was registered before the Trademark was in place but it happens. Also, generic domains don't necessarily mean no problems here's one case at went to icann and we couldn't believe it was allowed.

Dog.com vs Pets.com
http://www.adrforum.com/domains/decisions/93681.htm

remember the word is DOGS.com that was being disputed...

If you got a letter from someone and you know you acted in bad faith just qift them the name. If you haven't gotten anything and are just nervous then drop them like the others above have mentioned.. Remember most lawyers will send you a C&D letter as the first step...

Good luck

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you want nothing to do with these domains anymore, simply delete them

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you drop the name they more then likely wouldn't care unless you have done something that would flag problems. But if that was the case you would have heard from them already. I can't speak for anyone else but I know of cases where the party went and registered a trademark and then went after the domain owner but didn't stand a chance because the domain was registered before the Trademark was in place but it happens. Also, generic domains don't necessarily mean no problems here's one case at went to icann and we couldn't believe it was allowed.

Dog.com vs Pets.com
http://www.adrforum.com/domains/decisions/93681.htm

remember the word is DOGS.com that was being disputed...

If you got a letter from someone and you know you acted in bad faith just qift them the name. If you haven't gotten anything and are just nervous then drop them like the others above have mentioned.. Remember most lawyers will send you a C&D letter as the first step...

Good luck

That's insane re: dogs.com

This is why it's in some ways better to be in the game later, so that all the legal battles to show how courts will react to certain scenarios have already happened, so that anybody with a case so frivolous such as this won't waste their time as they know what the outcome will be.

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you want nothing to do with these domains anymore, simply delete them

you got it in one, there is no reason why you can't email any registrar and ask them to delete the domain immediately if you so wish

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
  1. Remove all name servers in order to disable the domains
  2. Ask the registrar for an immediate delete

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GoDaddy, you can cancel them from your account right now.

This is a good feature Go Daddy has, the minute you hit cancel domain it goes into redemption.

TIP: Before you cancel, change the whois, that way the whois will not show your name while it's in redemption.

-=DCG=-

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Before you cancel, change the whois, that way the whois will not show your name while it's in redemption.

What should I change the whois to? Just "John Doe", "[email protected]", and 416-000-0000 so the fields are filled?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom