Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.net or .us - cast your vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tony
.us! All the people who are saying .net dont live in the US

I live in the US and I would take sex.net over sex.us ANY DAY.

.US is merely another ccTLD that may or may not survive. REmember all of the hype over CC? Where has it gone except nowhere?

-Bob

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think .US may have a slightly better chance than .CC. The United States market is just a tad larger than the Cocos Islands. :)

darrenl

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look at how many have been bought as well.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hype is one thing - results is another. Country code domains from the tiny island nations continue to languish, but CCTLD's for the major industrial countries are fetching some major money - just look at our weekly domain sales charts at Domain Name Journal. Half of the Top Ten is made up of CCTLD's. Only recognition (which comes only with time) is currently keeping .US off the charts. Over 600,000 .US have been regged - those are not all speculators. I remember the .cc hype but I didn't buy any. I bought plenty of .US. It's like the difference between buying a skateboard (with a couple of broken wheels) and buying a Maserati. There is no comparison.

.US does not sell well now, but neither does .net (and it has had a huge head start). In a few years I think .US will be preferred by buyers in the U.S.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting note. I was listing a few things at Afternic and happened to check their list of domains that have been sold there over the last 14 days. There were a total of 50 sales and 41 of them were .coms. .US has 3 of the other sales and .net which has a 10 year head start and supposedly a huge adavantage over the new extension only had one more sale than .US at 4. It confirms what I have seen in my own business the past year and explains why questions like this (which is better) are even brought up. In many people's minds they are already on an equal level.

I spend 6-8 hours a day researching domains and frequently see the .us gone with the .net still available. I have not developed either a .net or a .us domain - but since both would have to be strongly branded and promoted to offset .com's advantage, I would rather develop the .us now as I expect that will be the stronger extension in the long run. .Net has been branded negatively over the past decade (as an ISP extension and .com's poor cousin). People told me this over a year ago but I didn't believe them. Now my own sales records (and those of others) have convinced me.

Thre is one caveat to all of this. The domain name needs to make sense with the extension. .US would be for those businesses targeting the American market (which is the vast majority anyhow). If it is a company that sells globally, .net would make more sense. 3-Letter and good one-word .nets remain strong, but beyond that level it's not very fertile ground in my experience.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a slightly larger market for reselling .net than .us
(About 5.8 billion more people)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by anyweb
There is a slightly larger market for reselling .net than .us
(About 5.8 billion more people)

Then that makes .net only look worse. They have that gigantic universe of potential buyers (many many times more that .US), yet can't sell any more domains than .US at a venue like Afternic? It just shows that the percentage of people interested in .net is even smaller than I thought! :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ClassicNames.com
.net all day long.

That's the problem with .net - you wait all day long (then all week long - then all month long) and still no sales!

oxen

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
8453 .US register yesterday .......

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

That's the problem with .net - you wait all day long (then all week long - then all month long) and still no sales!

:cheeky:

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by oxen
8453 .US register yesterday .......

W O W

if you subtract the deletions from com new regs it even blows com away:cheeky:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by zouzas

W O W

if you subtract the deletions from com new regs it even blows com away:cheeky:

I wouldn't get too excited Chris. Those are just 8,453 speculators you know! :-D

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't get too excited Chris. Those are just 8,453 speculators you know! :-D

:cheeky: What is interesting is that net has run its curve and we all now know its potential,, netwoking companies and still strugling with its identity,,,

.US potential is still unknown.

spietreser

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Americans are VERY patriotic, always proud to be an American, etc. Once the .us extension is around for some time (like the others are now), so it will be better known... there might be a good chance it will catch on IMHO

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Then that makes .net only look worse. They have that gigantic universe of potential buyers (many many times more that .US), yet can't sell any more domains than .US at a venue like Afternic? It just shows that the percentage of people interested in .net is even smaller than I thought! :)

This logic has a slight mistake here. If looking at the price perspective, owners of .net domain are asking a lot higher price that the owners of .us names.

It's possible that most buyers can't afford to get the .net (and .com), that's why they buy .us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom