Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

New Adsense rules - you better read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Bending
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Their competitve ads & services policy was updated to this today:

Competitive Ads and Services In order to prevent user confusion, we do not permit Google ads or search boxes to be published on websites that also contain other ads or services formatted to use the same layout and colors as the Google ads or search boxes on that site. Although you may sell ads directly on your site, it is your responsibility to ensure these ads cannot be confused with Google ads.

What does this mean for publishers? If you are running YPN and AdSense on a 50/50 ad rotation using the same or very similar color palettes, you would now be in violation of AdSense policies. Likewise, if you are running AdSense on one part of your site, and YPN on another part, you would now also be in violation of the policies if you are using the same or similar color palettes.

However, this also affects ad units that mimic AdSense, yet are not contextual based, something that was always well within the AdSense terms and policies before now. So if you are selling text ads or running affiliate links in ad units that mimic AdSense, you will be in violation of the terms.

There are a few things publishers can do so they don't violate this new change. First of all, if you are rotating AdSense & YPN, you will need to make some major changes. If you are running border-less ads, put an ad unit border or colored background on either AdSense or YPN to make it clear they are two different ad programs. If AdSense resembles YPN's color scheme, it will not be allowed.

What about those running borderless ad units? I asked Google, and it doesn't sound as though simply changing the title link color is enough. You will need to do something more drastic, such as changing the color of all the text to something different, or adding a border or background.

As for ad units that resemble AdSense yet are not contextually targeted (such as some of the other ad networks use or ad units you may have created in-house), you will also need to ensure these look totally different from the way you are currently running AdSense.

If you are running the color palette rotation, you will need to make sure that none of the palettes in that rotation mimic anything else on the site.
Source:
http://www.jensense.com/archives/2007/01/adsense_competi.html

Domain Days 2024

Dimva

High Traffic Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Daniel..
Doesnt affect me at the moment still good to know.

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good tip...thank you

DNA

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the news.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
50/50 rotation. I assume this does not affect geotargeting where US visitors get YPN and everyone else Adsense seeing they do not "rotate"

primavera

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's it...., I'm selling my "share" of Goog stock! JK, but thanks for the info. (I'm holding 'till it hits $1,000)

PS- (Full disclosure) I invest in .biz also :cheesy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom