Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

New Era...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gptpark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've noticed lately that domaining is evolving at a very rapid pace. I recently backordered innovations.com with Pool thinking I'll put a max price of $500 and I'll probably have it no problem. The bid is now up to $20,500 with a day left! Okay maybe I was a little naive with my estimate, but I don't see the value...I am having flashbacks of those outrageous appraisals a few years back, but now it seems people are willing to pay.

I also had about 20 domains that I tried to catch when they dropped yesterday and wasn't able to catch one. I went through all of the drops for yesterday (yes, a long process) last night to see which ones didn't get reg'd and found only 5. Which brings me to my second point, It seems that a higher value is placed on domains that are/were previously owned for no real reason (excluding linkpop, dict. terms, etc.).

I think there is such an imbalance between domain prices being so cheap and Joe Blow wanting to make a quick buck, that eventually (at least with .coms), the market will be lockjawed with a basic equivalent of Spam if 95% of the domains you type in goto parking pages then whats the point? Just google what your looking for.

The train has run away now, but I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

M

mole

I agree. As the jungle of "good" names get progressively caught into PPC weed, the navigation value of type-ins will diminish.

mikesherov

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this is assuming that the guy who buys innovations.com just uses it for parking purposes, which I don't think is the case. All the "good" names that get caught and redirected to PPC are usually expired linkpop names which only have value because of their former name anyway.

The true, premium, type in names aren't going to PPC, unless I am missing something. Furthermore, the names that are generic, and are redirected to PPC, won't be seen as spam anyway... Considering the high CTR they have, it seems as if the visitors getting to those parked pages are finding them useful.

Isn't this the goal of PPC anyway? To provide people who come there with real destinations? Aren't you more likely to find spam by searching in google anyway, considering all the search engine "optimizers" out there? I dunno.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gptpark, You are correct about a couple points.

However, new domains are being registered everyday.

Plus, the big boys are registering domains thru their own privately held registrars to check for potential type-in. If nothing is there, they return them to verisign within 3 or 4 days without costing anything.

It is a slightly new twist on "data mining".

I also agree that the prices are getting high without any obvious foundational value in the domain.

A couple of the reasons for the escalating prices of domains are

1. The quantity of new part-time and full-time domain investors.
2. The entry of the investment groups who have very deep pockets.
3. The economic advantage of european buyers because the increased buying power
.....of the Euro compared to the USD.
4. The ease and efficiency of bidding at Pool and Snapnames.
5. The weekly reporting of large sales which confirms there are substantial value in
....domains and an active market for selling them.

Plus, a dozen more points (variables) that are in play.

Bottom line, most of the small to middle size domain players will be priced out of the acquisition phase of quality domains. (drops, auctions, etc.)

That is why I also fear that the "data mining" ppc investors are acquiring those undiscovered gems which we would go looking for after we are priced out of the drop game. The big boys are two steps ahead of us.

For the guys that are skilled at developing sites. They have a short term promising future. (In this industry, I can not think long term.)

For the amateur domain investor (speculator?), I think we have seen our "hay day" of acquiring quality domains cheap.

MJM

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gptpark said:
I've noticed lately that domaining is evolving at a very rapid pace. I recently backordered innovations.com with Pool thinking I'll put a max price of $500 and I'll probably have it no problem. The bid is now up to $20,500 with a day left! Okay maybe I was a little naive with my estimate,
A little naive, just a little? :cheesy: :cheesy:

Wow, I'm in awe. :eek:k:

M

mole

actnow said:
5. The weekly reporting of large sales which confirms there are substantial value in
....domains and an active market for selling them.

Duke, duke look what you have done!! Aaargh, the market is spoilt. I just bought a .com for $37 from Enom through CD, that's really the going price! All the rest of the sales are just money laundering. :dead:

Yoshiki

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any update on Innovations.com?

gptpark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
innovations.com is still at $20,500 with 12 hours remaining (in phase 1).

hifi2

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's only 1 phase now in case you haven't noticed.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes, chasing drops is very competitive this days.. and it's only gonna get worse.. any domains that might have some indications of traffic are going for crazy amounts of money -- when in reality they aren't even worth a fraction... it is pretty funny to me seeing somebody throw out a few grand on a domain that once they park with sedo is only getting 10-20 uniques per day.. and is earning a maximum of a few bucks... hah.. great deal huh?

i don't know if some of this people know what they are doing or are simply millionaires and go for just about anything and everything that looks good... the supply is low.. the demand is high... prices going through the roof..few great drop catchers... a healthy ppc market... yea, lots of $$$ being circulated..

M

mole

mike031 said:
i. the supply is low.. the demand is high... prices going through the roof..few great drop catchers... a healthy ppc market... yea, lots of $$$ being circulated..

Not really, supply is extremely high, them crazy buyers should just come to dnf and buy from the sales thread, some very good names get offered there at very cheap prices.

Buydomains has a huge stockpile of very good names too looking for buyers. Names are infinite commodities that can be created with the tap of a keyboard in seconds, eg onionbutts.com sold at $4k.

The PPC market may seem healthy, but its rotting at the core.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Drop prices are still very low, I still manage to get good domains for 1-2 months PPC revenue. They will go up, but its still better investment then realestate.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
but its still better investment then realestate.

Sure?

From the latest issue of Fortune magazine:

"Americans are obsessed with real estate. The National Real Estate Investors Association had 44 chapters in 2002, now it has 170. Last year, 86 real estate investing books were published, nearly three times as many as in 1998. This summer the Learning Channel will air a show about real estate flipping. But the most telling sign may be the speculators. Mortgage lenders estimate that investors account for 10% of all buyers, double the historical rate. To find out what they're to, FORTUNE toured model homes and developments, attended seminars, and stood in condo lines in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Austin, and Miami. "You're seeing people now for whom investing in real estate is their life," says Jay Butler, director of Arizona State University's Real Estate Center. "It's a move taken straight from the old day traders of the stock market."

---

A 22-year-old Las Vegas mortgage banker, Zareh is a quick study. At 18 he bought his first home for $126,000, watched it appreciate (he sold 2 1/2 years later for $369,000), and decided not to go to college. Since the Las Vegas market began to cool off last year, he has made more than 20 trips to Phoenix to scout, buy, and inspect houses. He bought eight houses with 10% down, a total investment of $150,000 including closing costs. To buy seven more, he entered into a limited partnership with his best friend's dad. In seven months, he estimates, the properties have appreciated $1 million. He plans to sell in the next two to three years. If the market collapses, it wouldn't be a disaster. "You just hold on till it comes right back up."

Robert Kiyosaki

California gave birth to the modern real estate speculator. So it is fitting that last month's Real Estate Wealth Expo (slogan: "One Weekend Can Make You a Millionaire") took place in Los Angeles. To appreciate how intense the real estate craze has become, you could have done a lot worse than visit the 46,000-people, two-day lovefest at the Los Angeles Convention Center, featuring the advice of Donald Trump, bestselling author of Rich Dad Poor Dad Robert Kiyosaki (right), motivational speaker Tony Robbins, and hip-hop impresario Russell Simmons. Imagine a late-night infomercial sprung bizarrely to life, with all the hucksters and viewers mingling in the same giant room, whipping one another into a get-rich-quick frenzy.

Debbie Smith and Jason Jones

The couple hosts monthly Investing Get-Togethers in Las Vegas. Three years ago, Smith and Jones, a former teacher and financial advisor, respectively, applied lessons learned from well-known real estate guru Robert Allen and bought—online—five Florida houses in pre-foreclosure, putting just $1,000 down on each. They lost money when the rents didn't cover the holding costs; then watched the values leap. By summer 2003 they moved from California to Las Vegas. Today they estimate that the 20 properties they own are worth about $8 million. If that's true—and until they sell, no one really knows—their total equity has grown to about $4 million. They plan to sell properties when they need cash and hold on to others to fund their retirement. "It's a risk," concedes Debbie, "but I really feel like it's a lot less risky than the stock market."

Stephen and Crystal Wong

Though their permanent residence is in San Francisco, the Wongs, who run a Home Instead Senior Care franchise, have already purchased 12 houses in Phoenix over the past 18 months. In that time, they say, those properties have appreciated 47%, to $2.4 million. They are starting to sell a few of their single-family homes in Phoenix and roll that money into the next market that looks primed for serious growth: Austin. "I definitely don't feel like America is going to be like this forever," says Stephen. "You need to stake your claim now. It's like the Wild West again. Actually, I'm kind of shaking right now. I feel like a Coronado or a Cortéz." Even talk of a market correction, doesn't dampen his enthusiasm. "I love all the talk of the bubble. It eliminates all the chickens."

Jason Mitchell

Some diehard speculators are nervous that the market is due for a correction. Before graduating from Syracuse Law School in 2003, Jason Mitchell, 31, flipped two houses in Las Vegas in one month each. "It was a gold rush," he says. "Everyone was flipping houses as fast as they could. You would go to dinner, and the waitress had just moved from L.A. and flipped two houses in her first week." Mitchell and his wife, Connie, bought seven investment properties in Las Vegas; today; they have sold all but two. "I had almost like a eureka moment," he says. "It just hit me that I was seeing the same group of other investors at every development site… They were buying in other people's names. I thought, 'My God, the bottom is about to fall out of this thing.' So I stopped." In 2003, the Las Vegas market was just beginning to show signs of life. In 2004, prices there rose 49%, and the speculators were swarming. But real estate experts—and some diehard speculators—say Las Vegas may now be cooling off.

Los Angeles: Birthplace of the boom

As with gold rushers and dot-com millionaires, it was California that gave birth to the modern real-estate speculator. In 1997, the average price of a California home was $177,600. Today, it's $475,000—an increase of 250%. A market experiencing this kind of rapid escalation is the perfect breeding ground for speculation, and an impressive run of it is just what California got. In L.A. between May 2003 and May 2004, the number of homes sold that had been owned less than six months—many of which were probably flipped by speculators—jumped 47%. As prices ballooned, however, speculating on California real estate became more expensive. Still, it wasn’t very appealing to just cash out of real estate altogether.

Phoenix: Ever-expanding suburbs

Just as the Las Vegas market was starting to sag last year, the Phoenix housing market was heating up. Trish Don Francesco of Metropolitan, a real-estate-portfolio management company in the city, estimates that more than 700 California investors have visited her office in the last 18 months. More than half of them have purchased property. In the past year the number of Phoenix homebuyers who identified themselves as investors has more than doubled, to 2,703, and bought 18% of all homes sold in the Phoenix area in 2004, according to local real estate research company Infocom.

Austin: Is Texas the next frontier?

Some Phoenix speculators have already determined that it is time to move on, and to some eyes Texas—San Antonio, Dallas and particularly Austin, with its diverse arts and business scene—looks like a good a bet as any. Though most of the largest Texas cities have experienced stagnant housing markets in the past several years, many speculators now have the state on their radar. The numbers are beginning to reflect that: Single-family-home sales volume in Austin jumped 38% in March over the year before. "I used to get about 20% of my business from investors," says Tom Polk, an Austin broker. Then he signed up with full-service property-management company ICG Group, a buyer-property matchmaker with international reach. "Now it's 80% investors and 20% homebuyers."

Miami: Home of the condo line

Getting in early on a southern Florida condo at pre-construction is the new version of scoring a spot in an Internet IPO. Since March 2004 alone, home prices in Fort Lauderdale have jumped 31%, in Port St. Lucie 39%, and in Cape Coral 43%. In Miami, the median sales price of a single-family home has risen 92% since 2000. The result is a sight that has become as much a part of Florida scenery as the palm tree: the condo line. Buyers camp out for days, with lawn chairs and coolers of food, and bicker over who is ahead of who. "Riots break out from time to time if the right security is not in place," says Kim Kirschner, head of Kirschner Realty in Hollywood, Fla. ..."

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
Yes I am sure.

Wish I was that smart.

But true, real estate scene in Estonia is not much to write home about.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cappuccino said:
Wish I was that smart.

When was the last time you went to Estonia?

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cappuccino said:
Wish I was that smart.

Don`t make me laught.
Its booming, they are building everywhere, people are buying so much that they can`t build so much as there is the need. New
But I have heard that in realestate You make about %30 profit from building a house.
Lets say I buy me an appartment for $100 000 in center off the capital city and will rent it out, It will make me monthly $416!!! For $100K I can get me so good domain that will make me at least couple hundred in one day or more...

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ed30 said:
When was the last time you went to Estonia?

It was just about the same time he went to USA.

"In Miami, the median sales price of a single-family home has risen 92% since 2000."

For 100k, you can buy 10 different 200k condos in Miami, and you can make three different choices.

You can sell them one year later and take about 15%20% more on each, making about 350-400k profit.

You can/could've sell/sold them five years later and take/took about 75%-100% more on each, making about 1.5-2 million profit.

Or you can keep them for 30 years, and sell them then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom