Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

New TLDs & pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEO Report

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post, and I tell you right away, I'm a cheap bastard :)

Anyway, when I first heard about the new gazillion TLDs hitting the market, one of the first things that came to my mind was: yay, price drop!

I do know TLD are already affordable, but when you manage few 1000s domains (not spammy or anything even remotely unethical) both for your company and your clients, it's nice to see price drop, especially with so many TLDs flooding the Internet

With that said, I can't help but notice that new TLDs prices are actually very high, in fact prices are crazy.

I get that it has to be this way (first wave of buyers target top keywords), but I wonder if my price drop theory is valid / going to happen any time soon

Your opinion? Am I missing something here?

As a side question: is there any website that offer price tracking for domains / TLDs, or maybe member-only special discount for bulk domain purchases?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
assuming you're talking about New Gtlds, a price drop could be used to "stimulate" registrations, after the initial frenzy starts to decline.

from the prices I've seen others post, godiddy was charging the highest per GTLD, for new registrations.

in comparison to namecheap, enom, dotster, etc.

imo....

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Prices for gTLDs are crazy? It was $50 /year with 2 year minimum for .com's originally.
While there is variety in pricing, the base price is determined by the Registry.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As long as the price drops to about 10% by the time renewals are due, I shan't complain too much.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
before these came out i was under the silly assumption they would try to undercut .com but i was very wrong.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The registry business is resource intensive. For example TLD applicants had to pay ICANN a fee of $185k. That said there other costs to account e.g. administration, software & hardware. If you factor all this the new gTLDs aee priced initially to cover such costs. Hopefully as volume kicks in the domain prices will come down. That's the way I see it.

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post, and I tell you right away, I'm a cheap bastard :)

Anyway, when I first heard about the new gazillion TLDs hitting the market, one of the first things that came to my mind was: yay, price drop!
And were you wrong? :)

I do know TLD are already affordable, but when you manage few 1000s domains (not spammy or anything even remotely unethical) both for your company and your clients, it's nice to see price drop, especially with so many TLDs flooding the Internet
There's always an adoption curve for new TLDs. The domainers might be the ones in the early market but if the mom and pop businesses don't register and develop in those TLDs then the TLD is fast on the way to becoming a Dead Zone. The changes figures for this morning's new gTLDs zones are horrific if you are expecting figures like the .CO/MOBI/EU landrushes. Interestingly, .EMAIL seems to be picking up some registrations.

With that said, I can't help but notice that new TLDs prices are actually very high, in fact prices are crazy.
Keywords and "premium" domains have mainly been retained by the registries. It is a rigged game for domainers.

I get that it has to be this way (first wave of buyers target top keywords), but I wonder if my price drop theory is valid / going to happen any time soon
If you see a price drop in the first six months of a domain operation and it is not a registry scheme to promote the TLD, then that TLD is at best in trouble and at worst entering a .INFO style Boom and Bust existence. No new gTLD yet has any significant (>100K) registration volume.

Your opinion? Am I missing something here?
About ten or more years of domaining history.

Regards...jmcc

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Prices for gTLDs are crazy? It was $50 /year with 2 year minimum for .com's originally.

Hee hee! Yep, and I registered 500 of then in 2000 at a cost of £10,000 UK!. The first .com I registered (scotnews.com) was in 1999 and I paid a company over £100 to register it for me as it was nowhere near as easy as it is today to register a name. I remember having to send faxes to the registrar (Network Solutions in those days) proving my identity before I could make changes or transfer ownership!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom