Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Newbie from Ireland with a question about parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie from Dublin, in Ireland. My first question is about parking. I've been reading a lot about it on the forum, but one thing puzzles me. I have bought most of my names through GoDaddy, and when I put them into the address bar I come up with a page full of ads placed there by GoDaddy, who says it's parking them for free for me. So GoDaddy is presumably getting the income from them.

So, the first part of my question is, am I allowed to move my domains for parking elsewhere, where I will be able to get the revenue (no matter how small), or will GoDaddy object? Second, how exactly do I go about doing this? Unfortunately, when I say 'exactly,' I need a step-by-step guide, as I am not just a newbie but pretty nontechie.

Thanks in advance for any answers. :)

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What you are seeing is the default landing page when parked at GD.

You can do whatever you want with the domain.

Change the nameservers and park the name with a different provider, or you could use URL forwarding to achieve the same purpose.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, decristo. I do have more than ten and, naturally, I think they are reasonably good, but I suppose parked.com would have the last word on that. As easy as 123 isn't necessarily easy, either, for someone who could only attempt foundation maths, but I'll try. And it's very kind of you to reply so soon with this information.

If I decided to develop any of these names, do you know if it's easy to remove them from parking, or is there a minimum waiting time? :)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If Parked doesn't accept you there are plenty of other alernatives (look at these forums).

Removing them from parking is very easy, just change the DNS back or stop forwarding. As far as I know none have a minimum time.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

You can "add" your domains to any and every parking service that will accept them and change your "Name Servers" to any of them at any time you wish.

The only delay is the time it takes for the changes to "propagate" or take effect thru the internet.

If you decide to develop them then you can do that too.

it's all your choice!

Good Luck

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by 'changing the DNS back or stop forwarding,' though. Will this be clear to me after I look at parked.com?

I must say, you guys are on the ball. It's great to have so many answers so soon.

I'm a little unsure about developing sites, also. Am I right in thinking that there are several options, including developing as static sites with some content and ads or developing as fully-fledged websites? I'm puzzled as to how some domainers can have time to develop more than one proper website.

finalshift

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Namedrive.com has parking with an interface that is really geared towards beginners you may check it out just to the hang of domain parking and the setup/optimization.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Finalshift. I will investigate that site.

Biggedon, surely you can't park a name on several different sites at the same time? :?:

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Finalshift. I will investigate that site.

Biggedon, surely you can't park a name on several different sites at the same time? :?:

No you can't mate. When you park a domain you are pointing the domain to their servers. Which domain registrar are you with. Usually its as simple as managing the domain, clicking on nameservers, and editing them.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm on GoDaddy, dcristo. I guessed I couldn't park on more than one. It must be the way I read Biggedon's message. :)

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm on GoDaddy, dcristo. I guessed I couldn't park on more than one. It must be the way I read Biggedon's message. :)

I think what biggie was suggesting is that you can choose whichever parking company, not that you can park with multiple companies at the same time.

To edit nameservers with godaddy...

Manage domains > click on domain > click on nameservers tab at top > edit nameservers

VTEC

Flying at 9.200 rpm...
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
let me know if you are going to be in Cok :)

Last edited:

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, dcristo. That's very helpful. :)

I will, VTEC, though it's not likely - that's the other end of the country from Dublin.

Oh, and any mods around? That's not the Irish tricolour by my ID. :(

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by 'changing the DNS back or stop forwarding,' though. Will this be clear to me after I look at parked.com?

In your reigstrar (where the domain is registered) you can either forward the domain (for example, with a page parked at Sedo, http://www.example.com would be forwarded to http://www.sedoparking.com/example.com ) or DNS (Domain Name Server) which would point the domain to a different server, for example it would be changed from N23.Godaddy to N89.SedoParking (or something like that).

I'm a little unsure about developing sites, also. Am I right in thinking that there are several options, including developing as static sites with some content and ads or developing as fully-fledged websites? I'm puzzled as to how some domainers can have time to develop more than one proper website.

Start small to test and grow. Right now I'm managing about 15 sites and that is only part time. Once you get a site up, set it up with adsense (though a channel so you can monitor that site) and go onto the next, then go back a few weeks later, a few months later, and add to it.

Oh, and any mods around? That's not the Irish tricolour by my ID. :(

You can change that in your profile.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you again, Draggar. That's all very useful information. I feel I'm slowly beginning to learn.

But how do I get into my profile, if that's not a foolish question? (Okay, it probably is. You'll have to be patient with me, I'm afraid. I was born in those long ago, pre-computer days.) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom