Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Newbie here... just chickened out on AMMO.ORG, good or bad call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDunit

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So I was sitting at my laptop watching the auction end, bank account ready to be drained for just over $800 on the GoDaddy auction for ammo.org and I wussed out at the last minute. I even had my bid typed in! Now I want you to let me have it, was that a good / bad call? I am really feeling the rush that comes with domain purchase and development but not fully trusting my assessment skills yet. Anyway, good luck to whomever purchased it, if they are on this board... it should be a fun project / sale...

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ammo.org would be a great name for a directory of gun clubs I would have thought, and of course all the associated kind of articles along with a good revenue stream. Whether you were right to pause in the purchase only you and time will tell. Though if you had ideas already sketched out in your mind on the development potential it would seem that perhaps the hesitation was something that you should have overcome.

Can I ask did you set yourself a limit prior to the auction? If so and $800 was under your limit then you must identify 'why' you did not continue. (Of course the winning bidder may well have been prepared to go significantly higher and you may have lost the auction anyway - just a small crumb of comfort.)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it would be a damn good name on several fronts, especially for development.

Anytime there is a change in political office, gun laws come into play including limiting the caliber of ammo and what the ammo is specified to do.

Its a domain name that needs no branding or definition as it is already well branded, to the US english speaking community.

I think $800 (or whatever it went for) was an extremely good price for the buyer. This could make a return on investment in short time. The rest would be the icing on the cake from here on out.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

(Of course the winning bidder may well have been prepared to go significantly higher and you may have lost the auction anyway - just a small crumb of comfort.)
That's always a strong consolation when in auctions...the winning bid is when bidders stopped bidding and no one knows how high the winner was willing to go.

GDunit

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just froze... got nervous I don't know enough to be throwing around $800 on a .org that would be 3rd on my development list for right now. I considered marketing / resale, but again, I don't feel comfortable with my knowledge. I did read your estimate Acro but I was unsure who / how I could find someone to pay even 50% of the value when the auction only hit $800. Give me another month of research, and hopefully a small sale or two to see the entire system, and I think I would have moved forward... here's to lost opportunity and the lesson's learned!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
here's to lost opportunity and the lesson's learned!
Well, by your own admission, you weren't sure so you actually did the right thing for yourself...held back.

It is not a lost opportunity because now you will take the time to learn more about domains, domain value, and the business side of domaining.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
as a new person (was there, still am in a way) its better to leave the table with money in your pocket, than it is to bet and loose it all. There are always other names and opportunities out there.

welcome to the game.

JoshJ

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rule # 1 - Buy Low/ Sell High

Rule # 2 - If your gonna develop - have a clear and executable vision

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
based my decision on http://bizinformation.co/www.creditsmartcard.com as well as http://appraisalwebdomain.com/domainevaluation.aspx
as well as the smartcard 'trend' spillover to US... Unsure if I got a good deal, but the appraisals were way more than I paid. Either way, there's a lot to learn. And as they say: Learning the rules is free. Learning the ropes will cost you.
When you base your decision on some internet auto appraisal service, you will either go broke buying junk or you will end up with junk you can not get rid off.

JoshJ

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Indeed...and I joined this forum so that I may someday be able to do my own appraisals. However, since I am not yet there, I took a chance that the appraisal service was based on at least some pertinent information. Appraised @ $26,000 and on another site * 8,000 Euros. I paid nowhere near either figure... Are you saying CreditSmartCard.com isn't worth anything at all?
Thanks for the response...and my apologies to GDunit for inadvertently hijacking the thread.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think $800 is too much, unless you had a specific business plan already in place for the domain.
IMO, there's not enough natural type in traffic to justify that price.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you did the right thing. Many newcomers get carried away very easily and spend a lot of money on poor purchases (and too many domains).
My advice is to acquire domains that you would be willing to keep and develop. Most domains will never sell, assume this is the likely scenario.
There are plenty of opportunities to be seized every day. Don't look back. Take your time and pull the credit card when you're confident enough about your purchases. Good luck :)

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think you can better invest $800 unless you have a specific 'ammo' web site ready to go.

And....don't put too much stock in appraisal services. ;)

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Always go by your gut feeling!!! I do!!:)

GDunit

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the different perspectives and input! Truly appreciate the support on this forum from all y'all... Turns out I am happy with my decision to hold off since I have picked up quite a few very nice drops that fall more in my areas of expertise. May need some direction on which ones to attack first but I will save that for another thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom