Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Noobie Question Of The Year!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorilla_bob

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok,

I'm asking this question for all the noobies out there including myself. I got into domaining about a month ago and have been slowing accumulating my portfolio of domains. So far, I got one lucky domain that has 1500+ typeins per month. I say I'm lucky cause I haven't hit that type of traffic for the rest of my domains...and I've been buying quite alot. In the last month, I now have around 1000+ domains.

My question is, how come so many weird domains are being sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars. I see the list of dnjournal of names like

hotproperty.com $120,000
18-wheeler.com $82,390
ultimateguitar.com $101,676
wifelover.com $100,930

and I say to myself, I've got names like that... so what is seperating these domains to get so high a value? Is there one common denominator that one should look in order to say that, "Yes, this domain is worth at least 100K".

I had thought that alot had to do with the Overture search results...but I was confused in a recent purchase that I made that had 2 MIL Overture search result. I thought I had hit paydirt because if 2,000,000 people use this search result every month on Yahoo alone, then my domain would be worth at least 100,000. But it turns out that it is only worth around $3000.

So what am I and all the rest of the noobies out there missing? How come we can't get any of these 100K deals?

Many thanks for everyone joining this post discussion.

- Bob

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about some of those domains, but Ultimateguitar.com should be worth alot. It must get alot of traffic from people wanting to go to Ultimate-guitar.com, which is a site I go to myself, even went there today :eek:k:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's just the way domaining goes, it's hard to figure out every sale. All you need is ONE buyer willing to pay five or six figures for your name. It can happen if you have just the right name. That's what makes domaining so interesting, it isn't an exact science all the time.

hotproperty would make a good real estate site
wifelover would suit a romance or adult site
18-wheeler is a common term for a truck, though you would think the dash would hurt it.

I remember a domain 'partnercash.com' sold for 100k, and you wonder why. Turns out the buyer was an existing website called 'partnercash.de' and they just wanted the .com

If you're in domaining get used to seeing what look like so-so names sell for high prices sometimes.

followyourbliss

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie too, and I keep asking myself the same questions! The one thing I know for certain, though, is that THIS is the place to be if we want to get really GOOD at this business!

Welcome and best of luck!

Tanya

gorilla_bob

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One of my theories, is that these sales all have one thing in common. They are all sales to "end-users" rather than to resellers -- or at least in most cases.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about this. So the next question is, about these sales, what were the techniques used to get "end-users" involved in the bidding process in order to get these amounts. Any domain brokers or sales guru would like to share?

- Bob

cee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One of my theories, is that these sales all have one thing in common. They are all sales to "end-users" rather than to resellers -- or at least in most cases.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about this. So the next question is, about these sales, what were the techniques used to get "end-users" involved in the bidding process in order to get these amounts. Any domain brokers or sales guru would like to share?

- Bob

also look at their registration dates. most of them are almost a decade old domains. good domains were snatched long time ago and just the bad ones are left

H

H2FC

I think many of the high dollar sales are a result of personal mind games and have nothing to do with actual value. Also the old saying 'easy come-easy go' has a lot to do with the higher prices paid.

wrdekle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd say trust your instincts when it comes to such names. It would be nice to believe that it is just end-users finding what they need. The most likely explanation is that some people are speculating under irrational exuberance.

The domain revolution is still going on, it's just happening quietly over in other parts of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom