Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

One of the biggest missed opportunities - world cup 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Love them or hate them, you can't escape the constant droning of the vuvuzelas during the world cup. The traditional South African instrument has been sold to thousands of fans, to give each game some atmosphere.

The vuvuzelas have been a trending topic on Twitter, have been mentioned on all UK World Cup coverage, and even on BBC Radio 1 today.

Unfortunately, someone not taking advantage of the massive amounts of publicity is the owner of vuvuzelas.com. The domain has been partially developed, with an article about partnerships with sponsors to sell vuvuzelas.

But, there is no advertising, no Adsense, and not even a real functioning online store, for fans to buy the vuvuzelas. According to alexa.com, the traffic rank has increased over 4 million places.

I think the owner if vuvuzelas.com is really missing an oppurtunity here. They will never get this type of publicity again!

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting article though Elliot, thanks for sharing pixel42.

JB Lions

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What the hell, got the .me, I have a couple of merchants I'm affiliated with that carry the product. Threw up something quick, about an hour worth of work. Will work on it more tomorrow.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The only ones that complain about these blowing horns are Americans that have not witnessed such in-game noise. In Europe, both soccer and basketball fans make a lot of noise using horns, drums etc. It's part of the game's atmosphere. What the horns are called in South Africa is irrelevant, the same noise can be witnessed in games in Germany, Italy and Greece, also in Latin America.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, a lot of British people don't like them either... I'd say 80% of what coverage I've heard/seen about vuvuzelas has been negative.

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only ones that complain about these blowing horns are Americans that have not witnessed such in-game noise. In Europe, both soccer and basketball fans make a lot of noise using horns, drums etc. It's part of the game's atmosphere. What the horns are called in South Africa is irrelevant, the same noise can be witnessed in games in Germany, Italy and Greece, also in Latin America.

Not really, most Europeans are absolutely annoyed by this noise. They are used to singing, shouting and using many different musical instruments, this constant noise of vuvuzelas is very different how people cheer in Europe. Just check all the anti-vuvuzela fan pages on Facebook, you will be shocked by the amount of fans. Our national TV is now starting to filter (!) the noise by vuvuzelas in live games. Not kiddin.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

68203_1.jpg

D

Deleted member 78222

Agree, huge missed opportunity, the other big seller is the makarapa, makarapa.com is doing business, but makarapas.com nothing!
Man Vuvuzelas are loud and if you don't have one it seems so much worse but what a vibe they create! This has been such an incredible experience with most tourists really loving it here, vuvuzelas and all. Lucky enough to be attending a few games later on in the competition.

D

Deleted member 70408

The only ones that complain about these blowing horns are Americans that have not witnessed such in-game noise.

"TV viewers around the globe have complained that the swarm-of-bees sound from the plastic horns is stinging their ears." http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-...s-vuvuzela-free-option-viewers&cc=5901?ver=us

LOL. Yep, just the Americans are complaining.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8738604.stm (UK)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...ntor-blowing-his-own-trumpet-115875-22334136/ (UK)
http://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/WorldCup/TournamentNews/Vuvuzela-debate-drones-on-20100614 (South Africa)
http://www.lemonde.fr/idees/article/2010/06/14/vuvustop_1372380_3232.html (France)
http://www.smh.com.au/world-cup-201...roadcasters-and-organisers-20100614-ya9r.html (Australia)

Plenty of others but it's a silly debate.

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i really don't think anyone wants to buy them..

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pinched from wikipedia
"BBC sports commentator Farayi Mungazi said the sound of the horn was the "recognised sound of football in South Africa" and is "absolutely essential for an authentic South African footballing experience". He also said there was no point in taking the world cup to Africa and then "trying to give it a European feel"

After reading that , the sound has stopped annoying me

D

Deleted member 78222

Pinched from wikipedia
"BBC sports commentator Farayi Mungazi said the sound of the horn was the "recognised sound of football in South Africa" and is "absolutely essential for an authentic South African footballing experience". He also said there was no point in taking the world cup to Africa and then "trying to give it a European feel"

After reading that , the sound has stopped annoying me

Vuvuzelas have always been an integral part of soccer in SA and When in Rome do as the Romans do, It's great fun, but as I say you really need to have one or they can make you a little crazy!

Jeffreyw

Football Club owner
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Vuvuzela is here to stay? But i still regged vuvuzelaoutlet.com, i'm not sure if i did the right thing hehe..

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzz.jpg

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
these will be banned in europe, you wont see them there in the future, at games
i bet elsewhere in the world too, outside south africa
they couldnt be banned at this world cup as it's one of their traditions and instruments, but no other country will suffer them, that as much has been said
expect them to fade into just a memory
not a second too quick, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom