Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Open Letter to CyberTonic re: CrapDomains.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The story about CrapDomains.com

There is a long time I am seeing a significant percentage of domain with poor value tried to be sold through forums.
But I guess it's logical:
If I have a good domain, the first I want is keep it.
At worst sell it into a domain marketplace where I should target buyers not domainers.

I also noticed that a lot of these domain sales intents was failing.
Normal, forum visitors are mainly domainers searching for good investments, not crap.

Does it make sense?

There is few months I have in mind to setup a marketplace where one could try to sell his unwanted domains.
Last week I seen that CrapDomains.com was for sale and for a very reasonable amount.
I thought that it could be the perfect name for such marketplace.
So yesterday afternoon I decided to purchase the domain.

Here a marketplace mockup was setup listings domain names for sale having very poor domain metrics.
The ones that use to be sold for reg fee or under $100.
Domain for sale was not priced, they all had a "MAKE OFFER" button leading to a page where the buyer may post his offer.
But the maximum offer that could be placed was set to $250.

The site has been up for around 5 hours last night and a dozen of sale requests where made.
Which is amazing for a site just created just few hours ago.

The initial idea was to check buyer interest for these type of domains (low quality and low price).
And according results shut down the site or contact domains owners to confirm their interest on having their "crap" domains listed at no charge.

Now I share the "testing" practice without previously advising domain owners is not correct. I do apologize again.

In a second thought, even if it look likes it was a positive test according demand I am not sure domain owners may accept to have their unwanted domains flagged as crap.

P.S:

English, english,... you are right aZooza.

Domain Summit 2024

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO, crapdomains is the worst possible name for a sales site. It just sounds really bad and makes you wonder since they are all identified as being crap why list them at all?

Perhaps, in French crap is not as negative meaning as in English?

Why not use names like lowpricedomains nonpremiumdomains wellpriceddomains lowtrafficdomains bargaindomains etc, even unwanteddomains sounds better than crap since they could be unwanted but still not total crap.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You don't "advise" the domainers, you "ask" their permission to market their names for a certain price range. Whether you think the names are crap or not, you have NO right to label them as such without the owners permission.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO, crapdomains is the worst possible name for a sales site. It just sounds really bad and makes you wonder since they are all identified as being crap why list them at all?

Perhaps, in French crap is not as negative meaning as in English?
IMO François has a particular sense of humor :)

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Ehsan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol the crap domains website is crap if they do things like these using person's belongings without permission bad bad lol

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Francois is such a bad guy, he ruined everything..what will we do now :rolleyes: seriously people...I looked at the site and they are crap! :laugh:

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To be completly honnest I do not even know the exact meaning of "crap".
For me crap ~ garbage ~ low value ~ cheap ~ trash have a similar meaning.
Now I imagine each of these english words have their minors differences and that they are maybe used in different contexts.
Maybe if there were french or spanish words I will never used them.

Now reading you I am sure this is the last name to use to sell cheap domain names of low value.

It's true I am impatient. Profesionnal people think 1,000 times before do a single step.
At the inverse I am probably too impulsive and too fast, even if it can lead me to a disaster it's stronger than me.
I need to try, to check and I cannot wait weeks to check if I an idea is good or no.
Now who said I am profesionnal?
I am just like most of you, a human working hard to try to create online services of interest.

To those ones I read in other threads saying I am very well funded and that the advertising does not cost me anything I would like to respond:
I started the internet a long time ago and every dollar I have today has been earn after a lot of work, lot of hassles, lot of sacrifices...
Nobody given me any money.
All the ads you may seen advertising my services are costing me a lot.
There is a lot of people here having really much more money I have.
The difference with most of them is that they prefer to invest in very high priced domain names better then use their money to market something new.
Now they maybe already have earned enough and they are in their investment period, for me it's still not the case.

aZooZa
People that "piss off" are a minority.
I get a lot of emails congratulating me for these premiumdomain(s) services, that encourage me to pursue, to improve...
It's true I also get some negative feedback, but when it happen it's often a no constructive feedback so it's ignored.
When it's not the case it is really appreciated and considered for future improvements.

Well, CrapDomains.com just lived for hours.
I confirm the domain is now part of my own "crap" domains for sale.

Thanks for all the comments.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cybertonic, a lot of people flick you sh$t in this forum, but you always keep your cool when responding. I respect that.

freeconnect2000

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at this site in Firefox and click on the 1st link: $1.95 Domain Names They do not know what they are doing...too funny...

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The cool thing about francois is that he keeps crystalising his ideas into reality and trying them out, more than most of us can say! Maybe you too should take some concepts and CRYSTALISE them? In .com no less! :eek:k:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have never seen anything like this...

Francois, other than the forums, where else are these banners and ads appearing?

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PremiumDomain(s).com is advertised in:

AdWords network
Overture network
Several webmaster forums
Domain forums: DNForum, NamePros
Webmaster newsletters.
Marketing sites
Affiliate sites
DomainTools
DNJournal
DomainWire

As it come in mind, there are more publishers but these are the main important ad channels if my memory does not fail.

The advertising budget is already significant but I plan to multiplicate it by 3 very soon.
But before to proceed I need to know the definitive position of the 2 biggest domain actors.
They are still studying my proposal.
Depending the response I will turn PremiumDomains.com as a domain FSBO or no.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Says closed by popular demand. Ah Crap!

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You don't "advise" the domainers, you "ask" their permission to market their names for a certain price range.

Totally agreed. The idea might work if the price range was dropped.

Whether you think the names are crap or not, you have NO right to label them as such without the owners permission.

His label is his opinion. He can do that without permission. I think Microsoft is crap and I didn't even ask their permission to label them as such.

Crap

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thought that the domain was creative, funny, and grabbed alot of attention?

jazzpetals

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, its not a bad name, just a bad concept...a better one would be to hold a game of craps in order for people to win the domains. Not sure how the domain owners would make money on that concept though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Days till Domain Summit

Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom