Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Overture and Goto Suggestions ?? Big Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

irlman

Hi

I have a question regarding overture and the goto suggestions.

Why do they leave out the letter S out in searches ?

If i do a check for fishing rods it brings back -- 11208 fishing rod

I am sure most people would use the following for a type-in www.FishingRods.com

I hope domain names are not valued on this as it is not a correct way of verifing the
potential type-ins of a domain names .

Try Big tits - most people would type in www.BigTits.com and not www.BigTit.com

Searches done in July 2002
Count Search Term
228996 big tit

SEE WHAT I MEAN ??

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Overture bundles together singular and plural, that's why.

Usually, but not always, if you type in one (say singular) and it returns the plural, it means that the plural is more popular.

Key-in value can only be truly estimated by putting it live. Short of that, type in "fishingrods.com", then "fishing rods" and the difference will give you some reasonable idea of key-ins.

M

mole

I can't understand for the life of me why people still refer to Goto/ Overture.

I mean, who types in overture.com for search purposes :confused:

Google is now the defacto search engine for the web. I think the search numers that you see on Overture are all single handedly generated by domain speculators or PPC advertisers checking out their rankings. What a monumental scam!

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mole...overture is a network of search engines...lol....it includes infospace, altavista, msn, lycos, yahoo, and cnet.

F

Frenchie

DNP, do you mean number of type-ins = 11208 (fishing rods) - 191 (fishingrods) = 11017 typ-ins (or 98%)?

Or what other calculation ?

thanks.

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
then i misunderstood your point mole...sorry :(

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Frenchie, if you type in fishingrods.com, you get a *rough* barometer of key-ins, which in this case is something like 38, which sounds about right.

Overture is just one tool, and an increasingly useless one.

M

mole

Originally posted by alldig
then i misunderstood your point mole...sorry :(

Hey dig, your point is perfectly valid. I have been thinking about this traffic thing for a long time, and I believe that a mish mash of results from a mish mash of search engines opens the system to many channels for manipulation.

The advertising industry is on the slow and painful process of realisation that cost-per-impression no longer counts, but cost-per-conversion is what real business accountability is all about to clients.

Actually, I find it ludicrious that a person would pay say 0.50 for a click through. If I were Overture, I would high a battalion of clickers in a secluded third world country with a thousand computers busy typing in chosen search words and clicking links the whole day. I could make back my entire capital in a month easy.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by alldig Mole...overture is a network of search engines...lol....it includes infospace, altavista, msn, lycos, yahoo, and cnet.

I do not believe the Suggestion Tool results include searches done at other and larger SE's, but only Overture searches, a minor SE player.

Even though Suggestion Tool results are invaluable and likely the best tool we all can use, the fact Overture has such a small percentage of the SE market is an issue. It's said they have less than 5% of the SE market. It's possible too much weight is placed on their figures.

In addition, sometimes their results are heavily skewed by searches done by webmasters and domainers plus keyword PPC searches. Also, scripts are sometimes used to find PPC values for certain terms.

An unknown but likely important percentage of the results are due to that. However, it's still a very valuable tool, perhaps the best tool we have for judging keywords/phrase popularity.

---------------------------

Easy to remember website link www.SuggestionTool.com

M

mole

Originally posted by RealNames

However, it's still a very valuable tool, perhaps the best tool we have for judging keywords/phrase popularity.

[/url]

IMO, the Google Adwords program is actually the best tool to judge keyword/phrase popularity. I use that to benchmark key word searches, ad copy and click-through rates, and search page drill downs, all at once.

But you need to pay to test :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole ...I find it ludicrious that a person would pay say 0.50 for a click through. If I were Overture, I would high a battalion of clickers in a secluded third world country with a thousand computers busy typing in chosen search words and clicking links the whole day. I could make back my entire capital in a month easy.

Safesys also said "..the ppc se's run filtering algorithms to remove spurious clicking to prevent people overclicking on links...

Actually, .50 per click is very low. There are many keyphrases paying $25 or more per click.

It's amazing firms pay this in view of the fact the order rate per click is so low and it is so open to abuse also.

Also, in other posts its been said the possibility of abuse is policed and reports on abuse can be generated and also questionable clicks are somehow automatically removed. I am not so sure that is correct or can actually be done so easily. It's also doubtful the PPC Firm would remove the clicks as they may not know for sure they are fraudulent, plus it would reduce their revenue!

I know of a PPC advertiser who was suspicious of competitors clicking on his $8 per click Overture keywords. He told me he asked Overture for a report on the clicks and they never did supply it to him after many requests.

Here is my last post on this issue -

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4728

M

mole

Originally posted by RealNames

I do not believe the Suggestion Tool results include searches done at other and larger SE's, but only Overture searches, a minor SE player.

Really names? Didn't realise that.

aside -- sheesh $25 per click is a license to print money.

M

Mik

mole there's no need to hire third world sports clickers, plenty of competitors will do that for free :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom