Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Overture with extension, real or fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have encountered the same problem several times - figuring out if a domain overture with extension is real or fake.

Recently I have come across buying a domain that has xxxx overture with extension without stats, but have no solid proof if this overture is a coincidence or was generated using robots, etc. First thing that came to mind was to check the search engines if any website was mentioning it or if any site was linking it, that brought back 0 results across most major search engines.

But I later discovered that other large typos that have xxx overture with extension also had 0 results, so there's still a possibility that the xxxx overture of this typo domain that I am looking to acquire is real. I looked at ovthistory.com, nothing.

I looked at alexa.com, no results. Google.com/trends, nothing. I even looked at the whois history at whois.sc, and I noticed that there was only 2 records archived, today that I checked the whois and 1 that was over 5 years ago. You'd think that a domain with xxxx overture would have somebody curious to check whois, wouldn't it?

As a last resort, I have looked at typos of the typo, and yes, there were quite a few registered. Some that were registered 2-3, or even more, years ago. So now, I am in a split. What other alternatives do I have to see if a domain receives traffic or not? There has to be something else to look for. And if somebody can find a solution to this question, it can be quite useful in future scenarios, because this has happened to me more than once in the past.

Enlighten me.

Domain Days 2024

Aluminum Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If OVT with > OVT without, run away.

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If OVT with > OVT without, run away.

That's what I you would think but when I looked at the actual website of the typo, the overture without extension was gradually less.

Not to mention, I own traffic domains myself that have less overture without extension than with extension.

Any other ideas?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
could be a domain that another "pumped-up" with hopes to sell but didn't.
now you found it and thinking of regging it.

pm me the name and I'll give it a look see.

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Check alternative in my sig. Ratio between Ovt/Vurr is ~300/1. And, with that Ovt, I would certainly expect to find matches.

Cheers,
BidNo

I tried it. It has overture of 1 with extension. :-#

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
shytkicker , pm sent

mistermouse63

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i think that US ovt is generally more reliable that for example french ovt. ovt for countries is unpredictable. i had some domains that were getting 300-500 uniques per day and had absolutely no ovt (pure type-in traffic). i also had cases of domains with w/ext. > no ext.

generally i wouldnt risk a lot of money for decisions based on OVT

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I tried it. It has overture of 1 with extension. :-#

I've been running a domain drop analysis for a while and have never seen a domain with OVT in the thousands and Vurr of 1. Statistically, when you start finding single occurances in Vurr, the Ovt range can be 0 to 300 with a bias toward the lower end. The other thing of note is that Vurr is snapshot in time versus Ovt which is the prior month; so possible there was an intervening reason for a traffic increase. Also, in addition to "domain.com", check for "www.domain.com" on Vurr as it may also have been searched that way. Otherwise, I'd be cautious, Ovt is easy to spoof.

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The overture for the "www.domain.com" alternative returns 4. I don't know. I think I'll have the chance to post this domain in the next few days so it can be further analyzed here before I decide to purchase or not.

I will update this thread with the domain soon.

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The domain in mind was Chryslerfinance.com a typo of Chryslerfinancial.com. It was on Enom's Clubdrop and I bid $33,900, and was outbid by the final bidder of $34,000.

He then didn't pay for 7 days, until the last day. I kind of thought throughout the days that he wouldn't pay for it and I was going to bid the $40,000 maxl bid at the start of the re-auction.

It is hard to tell if that 3000+ overture is actually real. But now it is too late as the bidder has payed last night which was his last day to pay. THere will be more in the future.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It could be real, but sure does seem strange nevertheless - in particular the lack of Whois / OVT history until just a month or so ago.

Perhaps it's part of a concerted pump and dump scheme of some sort, since many people are willing shell out big bucks for "deleted" domains, basically unseen / untested.

Ron

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
all it takes is one person to pump up a name like that and suddenly an auction goes from $200 to $34,000.

just saying...

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We will find out looking at October's overture scores in a few days.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
so strange that chryslerfinancing.com has zero score though , can't figure that one out, seems that it should.

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think we will find out once October's overture scores are updated.

linkman

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For June 06 chryslerfinance.com W/Ext 4044

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom